Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:02 PM

8 posts, read 32,362 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Oak Park and I can't seem to find a single basketball court anywhere in the area. There are plenty of baseball and soccer fields, but not even a sand-weighted net in a parking lot.

I grew up in Philly and then moved to central North Carolina, and in both areas it was rare to go two blocks without seeing a public hoop. So I'm thoroughly confused. I guess I had assumed that they were uniformly common throughout the States.

Is there some reason for this? Do the west suburbs not follow the Bulls? Have they been banned for some reason? Does anyone know where I can find one, near Harlem and Lake? I'm not asking for regulation size hardwood, just a place to shoot around a bit.

Thanks.
-Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Simple: To keep thugs from Austin out.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM

Ok. So I have to go all the way to Austin to shoot hoops?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSioux View Post
Ok. So I have to go all the way to Austin to shoot hoops?
No, you do not want to go to Austin for anything.

It is a neighborhood in Chicago that is right next to Oak Park. It is among the worst in the city.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 PM

North Philly represent!
If I could 'survive' playing in Francisville I think I'll be fine in the right corner of Austin. The issue is more that I'd have to get myself all the way out there.

Can't believe people put up with this kind of thing. We can't play basketball here because it attracts black people? What is that all about? I'm no race crusader by any means, but what an extreme.

Does anyone know if that Borders on Lake is allowed to sell rap albums?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
North Philly represent! ...I think I'll be fine in the right corner of Austin. The issue is more that I'd have to get myself all the way out there...
How would it be that hard to get to Austin from Harlem and Lake? It is only a little over a mile away from you.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
...Can't believe people put up with this kind of thing. We can't play basketball here because it attracts black people? What is that all about? I'm no race crusader by any means, but what an extreme...
I am sure many of the Black people that live in Oak Park do not want the Black People from Austin shooting hoops in Oak Park neither.

I do not know the reason for the lack of basketball courts in Oak Park. I just made a guess.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 PM

18 posts, read 78,395 times
There are several basketball courts in Oak Park, I live close to one of them - the Stevenson Center.
According to Park District of Oak Park there are other basketball courts in the Longfellow, Field, Fox and Carroll Centers, and one in Maple Park.
My son played a few times at the Stevenson Center and the guys were actually very friendly, even if they were from Austin

Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
How would it be that hard to get to Austin from Harlem and Lake? It is only a little over a mile away from you.
I guess I've just been spoiled by the areas where you can walk across the street and find yourself a court. It seems a little silly to drive yourself somewhere to practice athletics, and I'm not motivated enough to walk 2+ miles each time I do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I do not know the reason for the lack of basketball courts in Oak Park. I just made a guess.
Oh, ok. I thought you had info backing that. Given how much space the area commits to open fields I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
There are several basketball courts in Oak Park, I live close to one of them - the Stevenson Center.
According to Park District of Oak Park there are other basketball courts in the Longfellow, Field, Fox and Carroll Centers, and one in Maple Park.
My son played a few times at the Stevenson Center and the guys were actually very friendly, even if they were from Austin
Hey, great. Many thanks for the info.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Oak Park has had problems for years with groups of unruly teenagers hanging out in parks and making it difficult for families to enjoy them. Yards in Oak Park are pretty small, so people tend to use the public parks like they do their back yards.

As Shrimps pointed out, there are many basketball courts in Oak Park (including public indoor courts), so I'm not sure this is an issue anyway.

It's mighty presumptuous to start calling Oak Parkers racists because of their lack of basketball courts. Oak Park is probably the least racist place I've ever seen, and is one of the few truly integrated communities in the Chicago area. But they do try to create an atmosphere that is good for families. And Oak Park teenagers have plenty of activities there to get involved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: