Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,582 times

Advertisements

I have been a resident of CCH for over 6 years now. I must admit that initially, it was not our first choice, but we decided to go ahead with the understanding that if things ever got to the point where our daughters could not go outside and play safely, we would move. So far, I have no complaints because with the "isolated" events that have taken place, the police have been very quick to respond. For those with their "noses to the sky", don't be so quick to criticize! If you have moved into a neighborhood that you are happy with, good for you. That is what everyone should do. I think it shows immaturity to lash out against a neighborhood just because you have to decided to "move on up to the Eastside, into your deluxe apartment in the sky"! Show me a place with no crime. I think they call that heaven!

I have a good friend who is single and lives Beverly. Matter of fact, its the same side of town that was mentioned. I can not count how many times she has been afraid because her neighbors have wild parties and everyone gets high. Tinley Park had the murders in Lane Bryant, Orland Park recently had the lady that murdered her niece, I have a friend in Evergreen Park that complains about the rock band that practices on the next block after smoking God knows what! I could go on, but why? My point is simply this, adults don't behave as such. This just reminds us that there are narrow-minded and inconsiderate people who have to share this Earth with those of us who are sensitive and level-headed. Having considered that, I must excuse you for you know not what you do!

Oh yeah, and as for the comment towards Black women, that is totally your loss. Black or white, whatever your choice, I pity the woman that has to deal with such foolishness!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
I can show you plenty of places other than heaven with virtually no violent crime and where break-ins are almost unheard of. To people who live in such areas I can see why Beverly, Hyde Park, CCH, Evergreen Park, whatever seem uncomfortably crime-ridden. I do have a problem with people from places with relatively comparable crime rates who act like select neighborhoods like CCH are war zones. I think that leap is helped in part by the perception that lots of blacks are scary.

I think most people would prefer to live in a place like Winnetka or Highland Park if they could afford it. Given the cost though CCH seems like a nice alternative if you feel like you fit in and are relatively safe. I see many very decent looking homes with large yards listed well under 200K. hard to beat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyyb View Post
I have been a resident of CCH for over 6 years now. I must admit that initially, it was not our first choice, but we decided to go ahead with the understanding that if things ever got to the point where our daughters could not go outside and play safely, we would move. So far, I have no complaints because with the "isolated" events that have taken place, the police have been very quick to respond. For those with their "noses to the sky", don't be so quick to criticize! If you have moved into a neighborhood that you are happy with, good for you. That is what everyone should do. I think it shows immaturity to lash out against a neighborhood just because you have to decided to "move on up to the Eastside, into your deluxe apartment in the sky"! Show me a place with no crime. I think they call that heaven!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
Smile Oh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyyb View Post

I have a good friend who is single and lives Beverly. Matter of fact, its the same side of town that was mentioned. I can not count how many times she has been afraid because her neighbors have wild parties and everyone gets high. Tinley Park had the murders in Lane Bryant, Orland Park recently had the lady that murdered her niece, I have a friend in Evergreen Park that complains about the rock band that practices on the next block after smoking God knows what! I could go on, but why? My point is simply this, adults don't behave as such. This just reminds us that there are narrow-minded and inconsiderate people who have to share this Earth with those of us who are sensitive and level-headed. Having considered that, I must excuse you for you know not what you do!

Oh yeah, and as for the comment towards Black women, that is totally your loss. Black or white, whatever your choice, I pity the woman that has to deal with such foolishness!

Thanks for being a resident who will stick through even during these seemingly stressful times. I am determined that CCH will not become just another undesirable south suburb. I just wish Mayor would focus less on pet projects and more on what the city can benefit from. Please let your friends and family know that this is still a safe and cute suburb to live in.

The Gatling brothers should make that area 'round 175th into a nature-oriented, open shopping area with lots of ethnic restaurants (NO, Harold's doesn't count) small shoppes, and maybe an upscale grocery like Whole Foods or gee it'd be nice if Walt's or Eurofresh opened up in CCH! Tree lined entrances into the shopping area would be nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I can show you plenty of places other than heaven with virtually no violent crime and where break-ins are almost unheard of. To people who live in such areas I can see why Beverly, Hyde Park, CCH, Evergreen Park, whatever seem uncomfortably crime-ridden. I do have a problem with people from places with relatively comparable crime rates who act like select neighborhoods like CCH are war zones. I think that leap is helped in part by the perception that lots of blacks are scary.

I think most people would prefer to live in a place like Winnetka or Highland Park if they could afford it. Given the cost though CCH seems like a nice alternative if you feel like you fit in and are relatively safe. I see many very decent looking homes with large yards listed well under 200K. hard to beat that.
Most of CCH is very safe. I know of certain areas that should be looked at twice, but I consider this to be a safe suburb. I do think it could benefit from some diversification, but that takes time. If other racial groups weren't so scared to buy the homes for sale, maybe then CCH could reclaim its glory days, because no one would label it as a "black suburb with nothing but shootouts."

I forgot as a middle class. average Jane black woman, to mention how I am so scary.

Last edited by deechee; 06-24-2009 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 06-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Lightbulb I really hope this works! We need it!

Welch, Davis aim to disperse Section 8 renters :: The SouthtownStar :: News (http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1638812,062509section8.article - broken link)

Pushing Section 8 rentals (and hopefully all of their unwanted buddies) out of our town! Mayor Welch better pull this off right!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:50 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Good article. I applaud Mayor Welch. It does seem completely unfair. Of course he was careful not to say how unsavory section 8'ers tend to be to live around, only mentioned the drain on resources.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Hoping to bump this thread up again...

Old 08-13-2009, 06:15 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Hoping to bump this thread up again...
You were successful!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 AM

I thought if I bumped it, maybe someone with more input would comment.

I've got some great links on CCH, but don't know if City-Data will let me post them?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:27 PM

If people bother to click on this...lol

I just thought I'd mention that CCH is getting a new mall. I believe it is more upscale and will not attract the unsavories.

It is an outlet mall with 140 stores in a well lighted area with 24 hour security cameras. We are also getting a new shopping center in the old Eagle space.

Also we have more street lights going up, beautiful trees, and cleaning of the sidewalks, curbs and gutters soon. I love it, because it's so pet friendly 'round here, and after they do all of this work (not that it's really needed in my opinion) I can maybe look into getting a pet.

Of course you can always talk to Mayor Welch every Sunday at Dunkin Donuts on 183rd and Kedzie.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM

21 posts, read 25,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
If people bother to click on this...lol

I just thought I'd mention that CCH is getting a new mall. I believe it is more upscale and will not attract the unsavories.

It is an outlet mall with 140 stores in a well lighted area with 24 hour security cameras. We are also getting a new shopping center in the old Eagle space.

Also we have more street lights going up, beautiful trees, and cleaning of the sidewalks, curbs and gutters soon. I love it, because it's so pet friendly 'round here, and after they do all of this work (not that it's really needed in my opinion) I can maybe look into getting a pet.

Of course you can always talk to Mayor Welch every Sunday at Dunkin Donuts on 183rd and Kedzie.
That's wonderful news deechee! Hooray S.burbs!! In Lynwood, were supposed to be getting something called a Lifestyle Center? Does anyone know what a Lifestyle Center is??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs