Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,544 times

Advertisements

[quote=gardener34;7772554]Drover - you would like "Uncle bub's" they are smoked ribs. In westmont, real good. Personally I am a pulled pork person - not a rib lover. A couple OK though.quote]

There is nothing better than a good pulled pork sandwich. I had a buddy back in Austin who is a BBQ god, and made pulled pork like nobody's business. Every Friday we all threw in and bought a couple boston butts, then we pulled an all nighter to keep him company while he smoked those bad boys for about 24 hours. The sandwiches were so good. Didn't even need sauce they were so juicy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 AM

88 posts, read 323,879 times
Naperville Rib Fest is well.....IMHO over rated. No thanks.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
pulled pork.... yum.... We just bought a smoker - so we are going to try and make it ourselves once it gets warmer.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
I grew up in Naperville, and used to love ribfest, but now you couldn't pay me to go. The food is good (in my opinion) and the music can be decent, but the crowds are ridiculous. You have a good mix of people who come from all over the country and stuck-up Naperville locals who think they own the place. A few years ago the food and drink was reasonable and there wasn't a entrance fee. Last time I went I think it was $8 or something just to get in? I know, its not that expensive, but I think part of me just despises ribfest because it displays what Naperville has become... I also believe the Naperville police force looks forward to Ribfest as much as the rib lovers and ribfest organizers. I would not recommend drinking any alcohol if you plan on driving home afterwards. The Naperville cops must have a check point at every intersection for a 10 mile radius around Ribfest looking for drunks. I do not think anyone should drink and drive, but the Naperville cops are ridiculous. They will haress you for anything if you do not look like the typical rich, white, Naperville suburbanite.

Yikes, let me guess. You can not afford to live in Naperville now so you are mad at them all?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 PM

158 posts, read 379,189 times
I've been- I highly reccomend if you can go during a weekday during the day when most people are at work- it's not crowded. During the day is fun to hang out and chill grab some good food! If you want to see the good shows they are at night and it gets PACKED. I'll certianly be going again. I'll agree with others though that the entrance fee is insane- i think it cost 10 dollars last year! But the money if I recall goes towards a good cause so I feel a little better about it!!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
[quote=hank0604;7775409][quote=gardener34;7772554] I had a buddy back in Austin who is a BBQ god, and made pulled pork like nobody's business. quote]

You lived in Austin? Where? Which parish? I lived in Resurrection and then St. Catherine's.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
[quote=Irishtom29;7792637][quote=hank0604;7775409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I had a buddy back in Austin who is a BBQ god, and made pulled pork like nobody's business. quote]

You lived in Austin? Where? Which parish? I lived in Resurrection and then St. Catherine's.
He meant Austin,Texas Tom.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Yikes, let me guess. You can not afford to live in Naperville now so you are mad at them all?

You know, some people remember when Naperville was a regular town with a mix of blue collar and white collar people, regular guy taverns downtown (the Satellite Lounge and the Beach Club for instance) and even a work clothes store where you could buy Redwing shoes and Carhartt bib overalls.

It's natural enough that a lifelong Naperville person would resent the loss of many of the town's genuine and unique aspects.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-10-2009 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 07:13 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You know, some people remember when Naperville was a regular town with a mix of blue collar and white collar people, regular guy taverns downtown (the Satellite Lounge and the Beach Club for instance) and even a work clothes store where you could buy Redwing shoes and Carhartt bib overalls.

It's natural enough that a lifelong Naperville person would resent the loss of many of the town's genuine and unique aspects.
I agree Irishtom, but what town hasnt grown in 20 years? Maybe not to the extent of Naperville, but those that have not grown some are probably stagnant and loosing population, and I am sure some resent prosperity passing them by. Irish Annie

Last edited by nanannie; 03-10-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I'm puzzled why someone would expect an event of this size to be free. It's a fundraiser. Ribfest is organized by the Exchange Club, a charitable organization. The Ribfest website says they've raised nearly $9 million over the past 20 years. All proceeds go back to the community--I think Ribfest proceeds are earmarked for child abuse prevention programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs