Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM

73 posts, read 326,344 times

Advertisements

I work in indiana right across the border from the city. I was looking at real estate and saw quite a number of beautiful homes in south holland for what i would say is a great price.

15169 Forest View Ln South Holland IL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #07878630 - Realtor.com®

I mean this place is beautiful!!!!!! This exact same home would be double if not triple say in Orland or Tinley or Palos.

Next fact.........Im a white man..... long dramatic pause............................................. ............................................... lol. I have no trouble with living with black people. I work with alot of black people and actually find them to be very nice people.. So why is it that if i tell people i want a house here in South holland im looked at weird????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM

25 posts, read 86,095 times
South Holland has its nice areas and not-so-nice areas. But there is still a stigma among some people that it's better to live in incredibly pricey places. And South Holland is actually **gasp** affordable! So it must be a bad place.

Really, I live in Chicago Heights and love it. There's no reason I can see to avoid South Holland. I looked there too, but only chose the heights because it is closer to work.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 PM

921 posts, read 1,096,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfan87 View Post
I work in indiana right across the border from the city. I was looking at real estate and saw quite a number of beautiful homes in south holland for what i would say is a great price.

15169 Forest View Ln South Holland IL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #07878630 - Realtor.com®

I mean this place is beautiful!!!!!! This exact same home would be double if not triple say in Orland or Tinley or Palos.

Next fact.........Im a white man..... long dramatic pause............................................. ............................................... lol. I have no trouble with living with black people. I work with alot of black people and actually find them to be very nice people.. So why is it that if i tell people i want a house here in South holland im looked at weird????
It is a nice house for the price, but have you seen the property tax info?
$15,690 for tax year 2009 .

Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
The sad reality is that tax rates tend to be highest in the less desirable areas. Even with those high taxes the schools are performing far below expectations. While folks w/o kids might not think that is a big deal the history of poorly performing school districts and the relation they have with sinking property values / subsequent loss of population / deterioration in municipal services / difficulty in selling homes ought to deter even a committed non-family man (or woman) from investing in such an area... Heck even as a landlord I would rather own a smaller house in a better school district than a large home in an area where schools are not well regarded...

Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
It is a nice house for the price, but have you seen the property tax info?
$15,690 for tax year 2009 .
That particular house is 4200 square feet. Probably over 5000 square feet with the basement. It's also listed as a short sale. The assessor has it valued at $407,000 for 2010. Which is what the $15,690 property tax bill was based on. With short sales and foreclosures you get a significant discount on the price of the home but not on the property tax assessment as the cook county assessor generally overlooks foresclosure sales prices.

The average property tax bill for a home in South holland is $4,746.54. Which in my opinion is very reasonable and on par with other comparable middle class areas. The subdivision where that particular home is located in is a really nice subdivision. All the houses in that subdivision are similarly big and also have similarly high property taxes. It's basically a high income area in a mostly middle class suburb.

Last edited by allen2323; 01-04-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
This property has been under contract since 12/20.

Owners paid $492K in 2007. No telling if the short sale will progress to closing.

A bank-owned property within this community recently closed at $226K, 6K over the asking price, suggesting it was a multiple bid situation.

Distressed property sales prices are not grounds to appeal assessed value, so property taxes would stand. This is not the typical $225K home in this community.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,073,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfan87 View Post

Well, I would hope you don't mind living around black people. The question is: How do you feel about being the minority in your neighborhood? Are you a minority at your job?

OP, don't worry about it so much. People look at you funny because it's unusual - it's unusual and not something they hear a lot - not because I think you'll be unwelcome. This doesn't mean that South Holland is filled with black people who would welcome white neighbor with open arms.. People always get that confused when there's one or two racist jerks. And yes, this of course works both ways.

And just for the record, South Holland was around 50 percent white ten years ago. And it STILL isn't really a "black neighborhood". South Holland is 20% white. There is no need for a long dramatic pause.. If this was a predominately white area with a 20% black population, you’d probably be reading about the oh-so-many black people who live there on this forum.

South Holland is pretty nice. In fact, there are parts of South Holland that are very very nice. It's a good choice if you're looking into the near south suburbs. Just don't go parading around Harvey after dark too much. Or Dolton, really. I presume you are already familiar with the general area though, right? As much as I want to encourage people to move to south suburbs, I would still recommend that you take a look at surrounding areas before making your decision final. Understand what you're really getting yourself into. South Holland is somewhat of an island..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,125 times
To all just a update it has been reported that the property has been sold. It has been on the market for over a 18 months. Oh' well I guess the market is on a up swing.
The Kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs