Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM

694 posts, read 2,016,869 times

Advertisements

Move to Waukegan. It has a city feel. Seriously though... I would look at Evanston if you don't mind the commute. That will give you a true city feel without actually being in the city.

Also, Buffalo Grove is commutable to Vernon Hills....but the NW suburbs like Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg? REALLY? WHY? Thats a long drive and doesn't offer up what the OP is looking for.

I would strongly consider Libertyville---a 5 minute drive from VH and, much, much, much, much, much nicer than Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates, Buffalo Grove or Arlington Heights area. Libertyville has a great downtown area---walkable.... A world class community fitness center---Independence Grove---a world class nature center (biking/fishing/boating/roller blading) that is not over run with people....great restaurants, and did I say its 5 minutes from Vernon Hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Move to Waukegan. It has a city feel. Seriously though... I would look at Evanston if you don't mind the commute. That will give you a true city feel without actually being in the city.

Also, Buffalo Grove is commutable to Vernon Hills....but the NW suburbs like Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg? REALLY? WHY? Thats a long drive and doesn't offer up what the OP is looking for.

I would strongly consider Libertyville---a 5 minute drive from VH and, much, much, much, much, much nicer than Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates, Buffalo Grove or Arlington Heights area. Libertyville has a great downtown area---walkable.... A world class community fitness center---Independence Grove---a world class nature center (biking/fishing/boating/roller blading) that is not over run with people....great restaurants, and did I say its 5 minutes from Vernon Hills?
Evanston is your closet urban living. As LakeCounty said, Libertyville is a very nice area and has a charming downtown area. Liberty Grove is fantastic! The commute to Vernon Hills should be good. Buffalo grove is pleasant but is more a typical car-centric suburb. Schaumburg is a far commute and is mega shopping malls and mega (primarily) chain restaurants. What sets Arlington Heights apart, to a small degree, is the downtown area. It has chain and non-chain restaurants, bars, shops, movie theater and live theater. It has what some would call the best downtown in the NW suburbs. Nothing in comparison to Chicago or some of its hipper neighborhoods or even Evanston, but pretty good by Suburbia standards. The real appeal is there is lots of apartment and condo/townhome options in downtown which make it possible to go out without needing your car- and that's rare in suburbia land.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Default Reply

Quote:

How does Waukegan offer up to what the OP is looking for? I agree that the drive from Schaumburg, Hoffman is a lot longer, but why would Waukegan be better in terms of a social life.

The plus side to Schaumburg and Hoffman is the METRA ride into the city is not as far and you can park and ride to the CTA relatively quickly (in Rosemont or Ohare).

Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
How does Waukegan offer up to what the OP is looking for? I agree that the drive from Schaumburg, Hoffman is a lot longer, but why would Waukegan be better in terms of a social life.

The plus side to Schaumburg and Hoffman is the METRA ride into the city is not as far and you can park and ride to the CTA relatively quickly (in Rosemont or Ohare).
I was joking. Thought that came through....but if it didn't....my bad.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Evanston is your closet urban living. As LakeCounty said, Libertyville is a very nice area and has a charming downtown area. Liberty Grove is fantastic! The commute to Vernon Hills should be good. Buffalo grove is pleasant but is more a typical car-centric suburb. Schaumburg is a far commute and is mega shopping malls and mega (primarily) chain restaurants. What sets Arlington Heights apart, to a small degree, is the downtown area. It has chain and non-chain restaurants, bars, shops, movie theater and live theater. It has what some would call the best downtown in the NW suburbs. Nothing in comparison to Chicago or some of its hipper neighborhoods or even Evanston, but pretty good by Suburbia standards. The real appeal is there is lots of apartment and condo/townhome options in downtown which make it possible to go out without needing your car- and that's rare in suburbia land.

Am I starting to feel the love? LOL I think AH has a nice down town--for a kind of urban feel-We agree! I just don't think think that it would be worth the commute to Vernon Hills. If you worked around AH or commuted to the city---then great!

Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Am I starting to feel the love? LOL I think AH has a nice down town--for a kind of urban feel-We agree! I just don't think think that it would be worth the commute to Vernon Hills. If you worked around AH or commuted to the city---then great!
Most definitely the L-ville to VH commute is better; but if the OP likes the vibe of AH or Evanston better-it's still a tolerable commute of probably 35-45 minutes each way.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Default Reply

Quote:
I was joking. Thought that came through....but if it didn't....my bad.
Now I get it. I didn't before. I'm a little slow with jokes!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I wouldn't advise the OP to move to Wauconda. She was looking for more urban/suburban. Wauconda is an up and coming suburb in central Lake County, but is still somewhat rural (by Cook County standards).

Wauconda has little apartment housing and is mostly family oriented.
I agree.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 105,623 times
Actually for a Suburb that has city appeal, I would recommend Arlington Heights. Especially close to the downtown AH area. It has plenty of dinning options as well as two theaters (1 movie and 1 live performances). The metra runs through this area, and would give them a quick commute downtown to the city if they wish to escape on the weekends. It is a quick (atleast for Chicagoland standards) 1/2 to 3/4 hour commute up to VH (As compared to a min 1 hour commute from Evanston, Rogers Park, or Skokie). Even though, Evanston, Rogers Park, Skokie have public transportation, it is not easily used to access other suburbs.

I used to live near Arlington Park when I was a consultant and could reach almost every point in Chicagoland in 45 mins by either car or rail. I would say that the community in AH is very similar to what your experience in Atlanta.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 PM

34 posts, read 151,414 times
Libertyville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs