Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 26,048 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating from Texas to the Chicago area in August because of my new job in Northbrook. I will be sharing a 2-bedroom apartment with my friend, who will be taking classes at DePaul University.

I've read through many threads with wonderful information on this forum and found that Evanston might be a good candidate. From what I understand, people seem to love what Evanston has to offer, and plus, it's pretty much midway between Northbrook and DePaul Univ.

Here are my questions:

1) Since I will be driving to work everyday, how long of a commute time should I expect? Any tips on avoiding the traffic? Say, leaving early, but how early? I know traffic is a big problem in the Chicagoland, but I'm just curious how bad it is to drive from Evanston to Northbrook during rush hours.

2) Other than Evanton, any other area that might also fit our need? (About equal distance between downtown Chicago and Northbrook, with easy access to public transportation.) Is Skokie nice?

2) My friend and I are thinking about making a trip to the Chicago area at the end of May to do apartment hunting. Any advises? Should I look for an apartment locator since I'm not at all familiar with the area? All I know right now about Evanston is from the research I've done on internet and from this forum. I was thinking perhaps an apartment locator can provide some inside information with regard to choose the right place to live.

I guess those are my questions for now. This forum has been really informative. Thank y'all so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 01:33 PM

62 posts, read 224,790 times
Default Welcome to Evanston

To answer your questions:
1) Since I will be driving to work everyday, how long of a commute time should I expect? Any tips on avoiding the traffic? Say, leaving early, but how early? I know traffic is a big problem in the Chicagoland, but I'm just curious how bad it is to drive from Evanston to Northbrook during rush hours.

You'll probably drive I94 to Northbrook from Evanston (it runs through Skokie). My guess is that it would be a 30 or 40 min. drive most of the time at rush hour. I used to do this drive from Evanston to Highland Park a lot, and didn't mind it.

2) Other than Evanton, any other area that might also fit our need? (About equal distance between downtown Chicago and Northbrook, with easy access to public transportation.) Is Skokie nice?

I like Skokie. It has a diverse population, good restaurants, good shopping and movie theaters. That would be a nice location for you to live too, in terms of the commutes you mention. Your friend could take the L from Skokie to DePaul, which is super convenient, though the L station by DePaul will have construction for the next year or more which slows the commute. If you are interested in a nightlife, Evanston has more of that to offer than Skokie.

I'll leave your questions about apartment hunting to others who know. Good luck as you plan your move.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:57 PM

58 posts, read 252,558 times
Smile About Apartment hunting

try apartmentguide.com they are FANTASTIC you can search by what you are willing to pay per month, the amenities (extras) that you want and by the amount of rooms. They are great.

Camille
CamiNoel1227@gmail.com

Old 04-19-2007, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 56,099 times
well...if you want to avoid traffic on the expressway you can try side streets but be aware...they can be just as bad.

I was back home a month ago and my parents live in NBrook. I attended a wedding in ETown and this is how I went. I took Willow Road all the way to Green Bay RD and headed North ( through Winnetka, Wilmette) and finaly in E town. In all, it only took me 25 mins or so with slight traffic

Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
To answer your questions:

You'll probably drive I94 to Northbrook from Evanston (it runs through Skokie). My guess is that it would be a 30 or 40 min. drive most of the time at rush hour. I used to do this drive from Evanston to Highland Park a lot, and didn't mind it.

I like Skokie. It has a diverse population, good restaurants, good shopping and movie theaters. That would be a nice location for you to live too, in terms of the commutes you mention. Your friend could take the L from Skokie to DePaul, which is super convenient, though the L station by DePaul will have construction for the next year or more which slows the commute. If you are interested in a nightlife, Evanston has more of that to offer than Skokie.

I'll leave your questions about apartment hunting to others who know. Good luck as you plan your move.
Thank you for your advices. My roommate and I are not that into night life. I mean, we don't mind going out a couple times a month, but we are not going to party out every single night of the week! So I'll definitely look into Skokie as you suggested. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLENDER View Post
well...if you want to avoid traffic on the expressway you can try side streets but be aware...they can be just as bad.

I was back home a month ago and my parents live in NBrook. I attended a wedding in ETown and this is how I went. I took Willow Road all the way to Green Bay RD and headed North ( through Winnetka, Wilmette) and finaly in E town. In all, it only took me 25 mins or so with slight traffic

I think you meant headed South at Green Bay Rd? (Blame Google Map if I'm wrong. ) But, yeh, 25 minutes doesn't sound so bad. Do you mind sharing what time was this during the day?

Thanks a lot on the tip. I guess I'll just have to try both (expressway vs. local) to figure out which one's faster and/or which kind of commute I like better.

--

On a sidenote, how feasible is a plan like this:

Living in Evanston, driving to the nearest Metra station (probably the one in Morton Grove) and parking my car there, taking the Metra train to North Glenview, and then taking the Pace Bus to where I work.

From the estimate time I got from Google Map and the CTA website, it takes about 1 hour to get me from Evanston to Northbrook.

Is this doable? I mean, it sounds like it will probably take about the same amount of time if I were just to drive from Evanston to Northbrook, but it will save me the trouble from all the traffic during rush hours.

Anyone cares to comment? Thanks a lot!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:07 PM

153 posts, read 210,024 times
No you should drive and just bear with Sheridan Road or the Edens!

25 mins to 45 mins drive

Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewifeev View Post
No you should drive and just bear with Sheridan Road or the Edens!

25 mins to 45 mins drive
That's not too bad. Thanks for the suggestion! =)

Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
Hi TW, I made the commute from Northfield to Evanston for about four years. I also commuted from Northbrook for a couple months. If you work in East Northbrook (i.e. Crate and Barrel) the commute is not a problem; maybe 20 minutes. If you work in West Northbrook add on at least 10 minutes. Dundee and Willow get very crowded around Rush hour and it can be tough to get across town. Avoid Green Bay Road especially around Wilmette (Lake Ave). Best route is Sheridan-->Winnetka Ave---> Ridge--> Hill Road ---> Winnetka Road --> Waukegan --> Willow or:

Sheridan-->Winnetka Ave---> Ridge--> Hill Road ---> Winnetka Road --> Sunset Ridge --> Willow

The Edens expressway should be avoided at all costs (the reverse commute is horrible).

Evanston is great. Definitely worth the commute, the other suburbs are mainly families (Nobody between 18-32). Evanston is a harmonius mix everybody: by race, age, and economic status.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 57,129 times
Smile info on Evanston/Skokie -

Hi -- I have lived in Evanston for a long time and it is a great city in every way. The best areas to live in are the Northwest Evanston area -- near Wilmette/Skokie -- and there is also a great downtown/lake area.
I am thinking that because you will be traveling to Northbrook, the Northwest area might be closer for your commute - Skokie is also a fine community -- with rents being a bit cheaper -- and, spaces being more uniform (less interesting). I would recommend that you search through the Apartment People in Evanston -- on Grove Street. They are known for giving good service. The commute from Evanston to Northbrook isn't that bad -- You might want to avoid taking 41N- the Edens -- up and back during rush hour and find instead the back roads through the Skokie Lagoon or other neighborhood area -- Also this is a more interesting drive -- Welcome --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs