Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 PM

42 posts, read 199,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
I don't know where they live, but New Trier is up to almost 10% East Asian now.
Most Asians in New Trier are from West Wilmette.

Until high school, the original poster's kids would go to Glencoe elementary and middle school, where there are almost no Asians.

Also, New Trier is not for everybody - it's a "hit or miss" type of thing. Read reviews about this school here: Parent Reviews of New Trier Township High School Winnetka - Winnetka, Illinois - IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 AM

9 posts, read 35,576 times
I agree with the idea that Wilmette would be a much better choice for anyone who is of different race than the Glencoe people. I live in Winnetka, am European and find this bad enough. But there are lots of Asian people here. Yes, they are upper middle class or higher, but seem to like it here. Glencoe is very different. I would never live there. I dont know anyone who likes Glencoe except old jewish people. There isnt even a restaurant in Glencoe, nothing at all to do.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 22,112 times
If you're not 100% set on Glencoe, try looking at Wilmette, it's got a considerable amount of Asians.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,056 times
Interesting discussion. I am Indian with middle school kids and love the Glencoe/winnetka area and have identified it as the area to move to as we relocate from Texas. Should I be worried about the kids fitting in. They today are in mostly white schools and have never had an issue regarding race, so it did not cross my mind but reading thru this board has me concerned. Am I reading too much into this?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
You do not have to worry. There is a sizable Indian population in the New Trier High School District. I am not sure if the Indian population is mostly located in Glencoe or Wilmette. Winnetka and Kenilworth are historically white Protestant and very closed. Glencoe and Wilmette historically were Jewish, but this is changing. Jews also tend to be more welcoming to Asians and South Asians than the blue bloods who live in Winnetka/Kenilworth.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM

115 posts, read 291,423 times
I live in Wilmette and have children who went to Harper school (not really considered west Wilmette). There are enough Asians and Indians that yours wouldn't be the only ones in their classes, most likely. You never know how the class assignments fall out. But I know it's about the child's learning style and personality, not their race.

I know less about the race make up of Winnetka as I've never lived there but where I live in Wilmette is known to be more homogenous (white, Catholic, Protestant) and those of non-white races are still well represented. I think Glencoe, having a smaller population, is less diverse. But the poster who said "There isnt even a restaurant in Glencoe, nothing at all to do: has spent only enough time there to make false assumptions. There are restaurants and a lot to do in their charming downtown. And your comment about "Old Jewish people" is offensive. If you don't like Glencoe don't spend time there.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Glencoe also arguably has the nicest lakefront recreation area with wide range of activites offered by the park district. There are very few homes in Glencoe. It is a lovely area. The age distribution is quite normal for any high end suburb. In my experience, folks that have experienced persecution are some of the most sensitive about any kind of discrimination...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs