Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
People move to the suburbs for the schools, safety, and more space. Nobody moves there for the excitement. Naperville, maybe Schaumburg, are about the only ones I can think of.
They move there for better schools, more safety, more space, more peace n' quiet, better scenery, more to do for the kids (if applicable). And in most cases, its a lot cheaper, too. Not to mention sunnier and warmer in summer away from the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
Homewood and Flossmoor?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Homewood and Flossmoor?
There's a reason why the parking lot at the Homewood-Flossmoor train station seems to be so much bigger than the all other train stations on Metra line down to University Park. There are a lot of commuters to the city in those towns, a lot more than the the rest. Homewood and Flossmoor aren't "bedroom communities" but they are closer to bedroom communities than any of the other south 'burbs east of 1-57.

However, since I haven't actually been to every single Metra parking lot on on the line, don't be shy in correcting me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Um, who would even consider those [Robbins and Ford Heights], haha.
I would never suggest anyone consider moving to Robbins or Ford Heights. However, I was suggesting that Mr. Tough Guy from the city should come down and take a good hard look at them. Maybe even get out of his car, stop by one of the liquor stores and tell anyone and everyone how he feels about the soccer moms, SUVs and the lack of visible signs of life.

He doesn't of course. Instead Mr. Tough Guy sits behind his computer screen, talking sh*t about approximately 3/4ths of the Chicago Metropolitan Area. He claims that the vast vast majority of the suburbs are all "bedroom communities" full of "soccer moms".

Well, the first flaw in this claim is that soccer moms are an upper-middle class phenomenon. Working class families can't afford the soccer mom lifestyle. Such a claim makes it seem as if Mr. Tough Guy is under the impression that of the 6 million people living in Chicago's suburbs, almost all of us are upper middle class. However, the south burbs especially are filled with towns that are of a blue-collar to middle class income (not "upper" middle class).

Mr. Tough Guy also seems to be under the impression that all professional economic activity in suburbia revolves around the city and there aren't any upper middle class professionals who don't, say, work at an office in Olympia Fields. This is very sociocentric and outright false.

/End rant

Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
I take the OP to be looking for a suburb with an "urban vibe". This means more than quaint shops and a lack of strip malls (though these are definitely part of it). "Soccer moms" is a term that doesn't really mean anything anymore -- sort of like "yuppie". People use it for any woman in a car with kids in a suburb. I'll ignore it.

Let me start by saying there are MANY very nice, very quaint suburbs near Chicago with lively little downtowns that would be the envy of many towns across the country. I am not criticizing these towns. They are extremely nice. (seems to be a hair trigger on this forum against anti-suburb mentality).

That said, when it comes to the youth, vibrancy, and diversity (not black vs. white, but different ages, nationalities, interests, goals, ideas, income levels, etc.), I am not aware of any suburbs that are quite like Evanston (and Oak Park to a degree). There is a good reason that these are often the top choices of compromise for families who would have preferred to stay in the city but couldn't for practical reasons.

Not that they are better (in fact they are worse in some ways), just different.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 PM

320 posts, read 717,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
There's a reason why the parking lot at the Homewood-Flossmoor train station seems to be so much bigger than the all other train stations on Metra line down to University Park. There are a lot of commuters to the city in those towns, a lot more than the the rest. Homewood and Flossmoor aren't "bedroom communities" but they are closer to bedroom communities than any of the other south 'burbs east of 1-57.

However, since I haven't actually been to every single Metra parking lot on on the line, don't be shy in correcting me.

I would never suggest anyone consider moving to Robbins or Ford Heights. However, I was suggesting that Mr. Tough Guy from the city should come down and take a good hard look at them. Maybe even get out of his car, stop by one of the liquor stores and tell anyone and everyone how he feels about the soccer moms, SUVs and the lack of visible signs of life.

He doesn't of course. Instead Mr. Tough Guy sits behind his computer screen, talking sh*t about approximately 3/4ths of the Chicago Metropolitan Area. He claims that the vast vast majority of the suburbs are all "bedroom communities" full of "soccer moms".

Well, the first flaw in this claim is that soccer moms are an upper-middle class phenomenon. Working class families can't afford the soccer mom lifestyle. Such a claim makes it seem as if Mr. Tough Guy is under the impression that of the 6 million people living in Chicago's suburbs, almost all of us are upper middle class. However, the south burbs especially are filled with towns that are of a blue-collar to middle class income (not "upper" middle class).

Mr. Tough Guy also seems to be under the impression that all professional economic activity in suburbia revolves around the city and there aren't any upper middle class professionals who don't, say, work at an office in Olympia Fields. This is very sociocentric and outright false.

/End rant
What exactly are "bedroom" communities? I thought that just meant a small, quite and plain-looking community which people have modest incomes?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The term "bedroom communities" generally refers to the lack of large scale employment in the town. People can run a little coffee shop, hair salon, butcher shop but you aren't going to have any major productive industry or dense white collar employment.

Funny thing is that fairly dense employment exists along pretty much all the major freeways to some degree or another, but few suburbs have developed more than a pretty generic nightlife. As much as I agree with folks that like the scale and diversity of Evanston or Oak Park I know from experience that no one that lives in those towns feels that the offerings in town can hold a candle to Chicago. Sure there might be enough to keep one occupied to a limited degree if you want a nice diner and maybe even a little live music, but is certainly not the case that anyone that lives in any part of either Evanston or Oak Park could merely ride public transit to the huge array of options that one can find in Chicago and frankly that would be my definition of an "anti-bedroom community".

By that definition Chicago stands alone in the region. Using the same standard would put a very tiny number of urban areas in the same category. The list is maybe ten cities or so in the US and even with that list in some categories the fall off in "local option" is far more extreme than what would can have their disposal in Chicago or New York. I mean for everyone that would claim Washington DC is an "anti-bedroom community" I would ask them to point me to shopping options that match NYC or Chicago without getting out into VA or MD, can't be done... Same sort of thing happens in lots of other "urban settings" too, and that really shows how rare / difficult / special the handful of really livable broadly diverse cities truly are...

Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
What exactly are "bedroom" communities? I thought that just meant a small, quite and plain-looking community which people have modest incomes?
A "bedroom community" is a suburb with housing, but not much else (i.e. people sleep there, but go elsewhere for work, shopping, and entertainment).

Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 PM

320 posts, read 717,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

Question: What is a bedroom community?

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The term "bedroom communities" generally refers to the lack of large scale employment in the town. People can run a little coffee shop, hair salon, butcher shop but you aren't going to have any major productive industry or dense white collar employment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
A "bedroom community" is a suburb with housing, but not much else (i.e. people sleep there, but go elsewhere for work, shopping, and entertainment).
With that said, why aren't most of the South Suburbs east of 57 considered bedroom communities?

An acutually, I believe that most of the stops on the Metra Electric, Riverdale on southward, have big parking lots. Are you refering to the one on 175th? That's actually East Hazel Crest. Maybe some of it is Homewood.

Last edited by suburban_boy; 05-07-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
In addition to the "Bedroom Communities," which usually have good schools and are good places to raise kids until they get bored, there are a lot of industrial suburbs. These make a great effort to be friendly to industry and office development. Lower taxes, but truck traffic day and night. Some are decent places to live, some are to avoid. And some have almost no residential.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Oak Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs