Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,916 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a 2-3 BDRhouse or a townhome that is pet-friendly to rent within 30 minutes of Chicago. I am looking to spend around a $1000 for rent, in a gay friendly area. I hear the southside is not a good area but the northside can be pricey and crowded. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thanks!

Sav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
I've heard that Oak Park may fit the bill. Anyone else care to chime in here, because I'm really not sure. The gay crowd in our metropolitan area strongly leans towards the north side of the city, but certain burbs are probably more gay friendly than others if you absolutely need to be in the suburbs. Another nice thing about Oak Park is that it has Metra & CTA access to the city. Driving distance isn't bad, but highway 290 is an absolute nightmare with the current construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy272 View Post
I am looking for a 2-3 BDRhouse or a townhome that is pet-friendly to rent within 30 minutes of Chicago. I am looking to spend around a $1000 for rent, in a gay friendly area. I hear the southside is not a good area but the northside can be pricey and crowded. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thanks!

Sav

Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Berwyn, next door to Oak Park, has a large gay and lesbian population also, and he's probably more likely to find something there in his price range than in Oak Park. $1k for a house or townhome would really be pushing it in OP, unless it was run down and right on the expressway, or by Austin Ave.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
What about staying in the city? Like Lincoln Park, although I don't know what the rents go for there. Maybe Forest Park in the suburbs?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Forest Park and Lincoln Park are very different. 1000 is going to be hard to rent a 2-3 bed house in most burbs or parts of the city.

You can't really rent 2 bed apartment in the nicer parts of Oak Park for much less than 1200.

I don't see all those Irish bars with drunken guys straight out of college as all that gay friendly but I am not gay. Maybe someone of that persuasion can weigh in.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM

72 posts, read 261,508 times
Evanston might be a good fit as well - you have with Northwestern a big young / open crowd. and its well-connected to Chicago with the red line and the metra.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Southside neighborhoods like Morgan Park and Beverly are very welcoming. I lived there for a while, and I was never really aware of any gay bashing or tension. I've seen many gay (well mostly lesbian) couples.

I think Beverly fits the bill for rentals, most are about 900, but you have to act quickly, as the buildings fill up fast when there is a vacancy. I think the area around Wood and 103rd is nice. I see a mix of people (read: lesbians) lol.

I think you should check the Beverly area out. BUT, too far west of Western may be a problem, as you run into more conservative areas, like Mt. Greenwood and such.

To add on, south suburbs like Homewood, (parts of) Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, and Olympia Fields, are very gay friendly, as well as quite safe and diverse. The further south in CCH you are, the better. Some parts of Glenwood are okay too!

Last edited by deechee; 05-18-2010 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: misc

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,511,521 times
Skokie and Evanston is LOADED with "family" and towns like Orland and Tinley Park are FILLED with "closet cases". Give you a hint on the Chicago metro area?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Southside neighborhoods like Morgan Park and Beverly are very welcoming. I lived there for a while, and I was never really aware of any gay bashing or tension. I've seen many gay (well mostly lesbian) couples.

I think Beverly fits the bill for rentals, most are about 900, but you have to act quickly, as the buildings fill up fast when there is a vacancy. I think the area around Wood and 103rd is nice. I see a mix of people (read: lesbians) lol.

I think you should check the Beverly area out. BUT, too far west of Western may be a problem, as you run into more conservative areas, like Mt. Greenwood and such.

To add on, south suburbs like Homewood, (parts of) Country Club Hills, Flossmoor, and Olympia Fields, are very gay friendly, as well as quite safe and diverse. The further south in CCH you are, the better. Some parts of Glenwood are okay too!
The places you mentioned: the neighborhoods and suburbs of the south side that are bit more upper-middle class to upscale: Beverly/Morgan Park, and Flossmoor/Olympia Fields/Homewood, etc. are more likely to be a bit more gay friendly, because they are bit more educated and a bit less "macho."

Just about everywhere else on the south side/suburbs are generally more blue-collared and more socially conservative. You even run into people that remind one of Walt Kowalski on Gran Torino.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Skokie and Evanston is LOADED with "family" and towns like Orland and Tinley Park are FILLED with "closet cases". Give you a hint on the Chicago metro area?
There are closet cases everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The places you mentioned: the neighborhoods and suburbs of the south side that are bit more upper-middle class to upscale: Beverly/Morgan Park, and Flossmoor/Olympia Fields/Homewood, etc. are more likely to be a bit more gay friendly, because they are bit more educated and a bit less "macho."

Just about everywhere else on the south side/suburbs are generally more blue-collared and more socially conservative. You even run into people that remind one of Walt Kowalski on Gran Torino.
I have never run into that. However, I do recommend the areas I suggested in the previous posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs