Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I was just saying Flossmoor, Homewood, or Olympia Fields would be the obvious choice. Personal Bias aside, how can that be good advice to tell someone who is relocating from overseas to a job that is in Glenwood to commute to work all the way from Indiana or Tinley? Like that would be a convenient option. Before that he might as well just get an apartment in downtown Chicago. Come on!

True.. It doesn't make much sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I was just saying Flossmoor, Homewood, or Olympia Fields would be the obvious choice. Personal Bias aside, how can that be good advice to tell someone who is relocating from overseas to a job that is in Glenwood to commute to work all the way from Indiana or Tinley? Like that would be a convenient option. Before that he might as well just get an apartment in downtown Chicago. Come on!
Indiana is not that far from Glenwood. There are plenty of nice communities in NWI that are a reasonable driving distance from Glenwood: Munster, Schererville, Dyer, Highland, St John., etc.

It would be harder to commute from Tinley/Orland, as they are further and traffic would (likely) be heavier.

You're right that the towns you mentioned are closer than NWI, but the NWI towns shouldn't be thrown out off the bat. They're not that far. I don't drive to Glenwood that much from NWI these days, but I don't consider it a long (or painful) drive by any means.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
I agree that Flossmoor is far nicer than Glenwood, Tinley Park, Orland Park, or anywhere nearby in Indiana. If you can find a suitable place there I don't see a down side.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 AM

5 posts, read 8,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e11esar View Post
Hello there.

I have been offered a nice new job in Glenwood and I am wondering where is the nicest and closest place to live please? I am coming across the pond from the UK, so this is all going to be very new to me.

Obviously I'm looking for a friendly, low crime area so any advice will be so welcome please?

Thank you.

M
How about Lynwood,IL?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:43 AM

9 posts, read 38,702 times
Default Flossmoor

Hi again.

It looks like I need to look into Flossmoor then as obviously I'm looking to make this move as easy as possible.

A shorter and simpler commute is always going to be the best option as then I won't be a pain in the behind for other road users, as I acustom myself to driving on the other side of the road

Thank you all for the input as it is of great help to me.

M

Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 AM

247 posts, read 688,503 times
Mark me down as another vote for Homewood/Flossmoor. I lived in Homewood for 6 years (renting and owning) and I loved it. Lots of parks, nice little downtown area (I actually rented a place above one of the businesses on Dixie Hwy), good restaurants, and the city is about 40 minutes away on the Metra Electric line. It's also close to the highways if you want to drive to Orland/Tinley to do some more shopping, and it's right next to Glenwood for your work commute. I would still be in Homewood if it was geographically feasible for me.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
Umm..I've lived in Glenwood Illinois for 35 years and the last thing I'd call it is 'Crummy'. It's quiet, safe, easy access to major express ways and plenty to do/see in the surrounding areas. Please keep your personal opinions to yourself there chet, then blow it out your ass, pronto.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:59 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Glad to see someone stand up for Glenwood as the lack of appeal of the southern suburbs is wildly exaggerated in my opinion. Still, though, "keep your personal opinions to yourself" is an odd thing to say on a public forum.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,617 times
E11esar,

Speaking from experience with both working at Landauer AND living in Glenwood... For renting apartments - I would look into moving into either Downtown Homewood or Downtown Flossmoor if you think you will be traveling to Downtown Chicago for the weekends. Both Homewood and Flossmoor have Metra running right through so it's very convenient for weekend commutes. As far as which town has alot to do... well I would recommend purchasing a home in the Tinley/Orland Park area. They have plenty of shopping and restaurants. Having lived in Glenwood for almost 20 years, then to Homewood, now finally in Tinley Park... Glenwood was a great place to grow up... moving from the UK to Glenwood, you probably wouldn't find it very interesting. Love the town... just not alot to do. Landauer was a very nice company to work for...Best of Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs