Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
No one is going to bat an eye at you being an Asian in Lincoln Park or Lakeview.
Especially in the recently college-educated crowds (which is the predominant population in these hoods), being Asian is about as exotic as being left-handed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Especially in the recently college-educated crowds (which is the predominant population in these hoods), being Asian is about as exotic as being left-handed.
Agree with Oakpark....I think you're being a little overly concerned about race. Chicago is a huge city with every color and nationality. It's not like you're moving to some small town in Alabama where they've never seen an Asian person. Relax.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Overall Chicago is a very segregated city in terms of housing, but I don't think anyone will treat minorities differently like if you're out at a bar or a club or whatever. As for housing it really depends on what you can afford and where you feel comfortable. Lincoln Park is pretty expensive by Chicago standards but it really is lovely and close to the Loop and there is a lot going on, but the people who live there are definitely almost all white. The further north you go the more affordable and middle class it gets. Maybe check out Andersonville, it's a neat little area.

I really don't know where an Asian would feel more comfortable, Chicago doesn't really have a high Asian population and they are spread all over the city. I think if you like an area and feel comfortable and safe there then I would go for it, I don't think anywhere on the North Side or places like Wicker Park would feel more comfortable than other areas for an Asian. I think it would be more important on being close to stuff you like to do. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are really ideally located in the North Side and there is always a lot going on.

And San Francisco (where I live now) is pretty segregated too, Hispanics and blacks mainly only live in a few small parts of the city. The difference is that there are a lot more Asians per capita. I don't really think people in San Francisco have very different attitudes about race compared to Chicago, although I am white so I'm sure there's a lot that I miss.
Actually asians in chicago ARE concentrated in certain parts. They're not really spread out in the city like that.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalia View Post
Is there anywhere in Chicago that is as diverse and mixed as San Francisco/LA/NY (not so much in statistics/numbers but in attitudes)?
No, those cities are just as segregated as Chicago.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
No, those cities are just as segregated as Chicago.
Totally. If you consider Oakland or suburbs like East Palo Alto along with San Francisco, the pattern of segregation in the Bay Area becomes more apparent.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:49 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
When I lived in Lakeview, I had a filipino girlfriend who lived off of Diversey an no one ever looke dat her funny, nor did she ever experience any kind of racism whatsoever.

Having said that, there are asian pockets in the city...Chinatown, Korean Town, Vietnamese Town (up off of Broadway and Argyle), etc.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
An Asian in LP or LV will be just fine........you'll more than likely blend in.

I used to live in LP, now I live in West LV........I've grown to like it. When I first moved to LV I could not stand it. It's still "too white" for my tastes but that doesn't mean that's a bad thing. I'd just like to see all shades of folks. That's my ideal location. All in all LV is just fine and if you moved to LV, you'll be fine also.

I've never once had any uninvited situations in LV. All of the establishments that I visit in LV treat me just like they'd treat any other civilized person.

Have fun....

Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Having said that, there are asian pockets in the city...Chinatown, Korean Town, Vietnamese Town (up off of Broadway and Argyle), etc.
Are there that many Koreans left in Koreatown, though? I get the impression most of them have moved on and spread out, to the suburbs and whatnot.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Are there that many Koreans left in Koreatown, though?...
Of course. And there are still some Koreans left in Lake View,North Center,Lincoln Square, Ravenswood,etc as well...

Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Are there that many Koreans left in Koreatown, though? I get the impression most of them have moved on and spread out, to the suburbs and whatnot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Of course. And there are still some Koreans left in Lake View,North Center,Lincoln Square, Ravenswood,etc as well...
They're definitely alive and well in Albany Park. It's a daily occurance when I almost hit the old ones who walk across the street whenever they damn well feel like it; they hold out their hands in a stopping motion even though I have a green. WTF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: