Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodsFromNewYork View Post
Can anyone tell me where in Chicago is Humboldt, because I know the city is divided into regions (North, South, East, West). Thank you.
It is the west side, but on the north part of the grid. It is directly west (west of Western Ave) of Wicker Park.

If you want a "mixed" neighborhood look onto:

Edgewater
Rogers Park
Albany Park
Uptown

The problem with these areas is there is somewhat of a crime problem in each. Uptown and Albany Park being the worst, with Edgewater being the best of all of them. It really is much better than the others. I have listed them in order of least likely chance of catching a stray bullet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
It is the west side, but on the north part of the grid. It is directly west (west of Western Ave) of Wicker Park.

If you want a "mixed" neighborhood look onto:

Edgewater
Rogers Park
Albany Park
Uptown

The problem with these areas is there is somewhat of a crime problem in each. Uptown and Albany Park being the worst, with Edgewater being the best of all of them. It really is much better than the others. I have listed them in order of least likely chance of catching a stray bullet.
Although, I must say - Albany Park did see a dramatic decrease in murders. It went from 8 the previous year to only 1 in the last 365 days. But trust me, it wasn't for lack of trying; there were plenty still plenty of shootings and gunshots this summer. Like football, shooting a gun at someone is a game of inches. Ah, sorry Albany Park; maybe next year.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Chicago is self-segregated to an extent, as is New York, as is every major American city.
Houston is actually very desegrated though I am sure there are patches of segregation. Most of the neighborhoods here are very diverse.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 AM

51 posts, read 80,983 times
Sorry jdiddy but there are studies along with demographics maps out their proving that Chicago is pretty segregated, and from talking to my NYC friends they were pretty surprised at the lack of diversity when it comes to neighborhoods (just because its all Mexican and your the only white person doesn't make it diverse sorry little village hipsters).
Honestly whats your idea of mixxed? Is it hispanics, asians, whites, african americans, and your mixing of middle east? I know places like that exist in NYC, if so I can't think of a single area that has all of those. I can give you several locations where there are whites and blacks or whites and hispanics, or white, blacks, and asian, or blacks and Hispanics but not all. Well maybe bridgeport but than bridgeport it self is segergated by streets Chinese over there, Mexicans over here, Blacks down there, and Whites up there. Also Chicago is way smaller than NYC so its easier to break it apart. And than you have historical issues of the great black migration, the great white flight, the gentrification of lower income housing areas yatta yatta yatta.

I think the best thing to do is move here. Chicago is a great city the racial tensions arn't as bad as it seems. We arn't at each other throats at work and people usually get along great on a day to day basis esp down town. And you are african-american (or Caribbean irish iono) so you prob wont have to worry about it other than finding an area you feel safe in. Usually its the white people that have to worry about moving to certain ethnic areas and usually not the other way around.

Humboldt park is prob to sketchy if you want safe all the time. Albany park isn't what she is looking for and pretty sketchy, uptown is okay. Urkaining village might be good(but isn't it basically just like wicker park now?) You could look up a map of chicago neighborhoods and than wikipedia each one and than google street view and see what you like.

oh here is a link to the race break down of Chicago. http://www.google.co.th/imglanding?q...1t:429,r:1,s:0 You wont find this defined of a break down in most cities.

Last edited by tonesdef; 01-07-2011 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: adding stuff

Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesdef View Post
Humboldt park is prob to sketchy if you want safe all the time. Albany park isn't what she is looking for and pretty sketchy, uptown is okay.
Uptown ok?
Albany Park more sketchy than Humboldt Park?

When was the last time you were in Chicago? 1965?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 AM

51 posts, read 80,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Uptown ok?
Albany Park more sketchy than Humboldt Park?

When was the last time you were in Chicago? 1965?
How about she moves to the far west side of logan square that is safe right tuna?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
How about she moves to the far west side of logan square that is safe right tuna?
That part of Logan Square is the worst. Why are you trying to fool people?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
oh here is a link to the race break down of Chicago. Google Image Result for http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l79fx4cPo51qc3cebo1_500.jpg You wont find this defined of a break down in most cities.
Is NYC really that much better? Race and ethnicity: New York City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4981444199/in/set-72157624812674967/ - broken link)

Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Houston is actually very desegrated though I am sure there are patches of segregation. Most of the neighborhoods here are very diverse.
Houston doesn't seem much better either.
Race and ethnicity: Houston | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4982043082/in/set-72157624812674967/ - broken link)

Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Well, house by house in my suburb of Houston - Indian family, my family (Russian/Italian), Hispanic family (just moved in - not sure what area they are from), Ukranian immigrant family, Chinese immigrant family, American Black family. All of these are on my block. Note that Houston does not have any zoning, so you also have economic integration in that you can have million dollar homes near trailer parks.

In Evanston, the block was pretty much all white.

In Skokie, though, the block was integrated - Mexican, American Black, Orthodox Jew, Pakistani, us (Russian/Italian), and several others. I think it does depend on the particular neighborhood even in Chicago, but Chicago seems less integrated to me. Skokie had less rich to poor integration than Houston though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago