Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM

64 posts, read 171,859 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Lakeview and am considering venturing north and buying a condo. I have an appointment tomorrow to look at a building near Argyle/Marine Drive and one near Bryn Mawr/Kenmore. I work until 11 PM and would have to commute home after. How safe are both of these red line stations at this time?

Any advice on the area in general/what I should expect to be different from Lakeview.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,214 times
Bryn Mawr isn't awful. As always, just make sure you know where you're going and be aware of who is around you. Edgewater (specifically the area around Bryn Mawr) has seen a spike in random crime within the last few months, so just be cautious. In general though, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 11,173 times
You gonna die, homie. Run for ya life!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times
It's fine.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 PM

64 posts, read 171,859 times
I have been up there during the day with no worries. I am not a complete foreigner of the city, but I haven't lived here forever either. I have no worries of most places during the day, but in the evening the city can change a little.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Anyone see this today? The take-home message here is you should always be alert in the City. Just because your neighbors aren't thugs doesn't mean they won't come into your hood looking for pigeons.

Guardian Angels nab robbery suspects on Red Line - chicagotribune.com

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Anyone see this today? The take-home message here is you should always be alert in the City. Just because your neighbors aren't thugs doesn't mean they won't come into your hood looking for pigeons.

Guardian Angels nab robbery suspects on Red Line - chicagotribune.com
Did you happen to watch the Guardian Angels' video posted on you tube? That is pretty amusing... one of the guys goes from Mr. Tough Guy to "Please man! I'm sorry! Give me another chance, man!" in about 2 seconds. In fact, he pretty much doesn't stop begging and apologizing for the entire 12 minutes in the video. I hope those two morons get what they deserve, but I'm sure they'll get parole and continue a life of escalating crime; I have very little faith in our justice system...

Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 PM

188 posts, read 605,476 times
I currently live off the Bryn Mawr stop and lived off the Argyle stop for a year and a half. I've never felt uncomfortable at either.

And I should mention that I come home at all hours of the night - sometimes 2-3 AM.

Last edited by binarybelle; 02-09-2011 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: *

Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 PM

98 posts, read 145,426 times
I live off the Argyle stop now. Perfectly fine, occasional homeless man.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
I lived near the Argyle stop about 7 years ago. The area directly around it wasn't bad, on that block it was like a tiny Chinatown with a bunch of Asian restaurants and grocery stores. The area to the east near the lake had a lot of nice tall condo buildings, but the rest of that area of Uptown was pretty junky especially if you went south towards Lawrence. Is it still like that? Lots of homeless people, some abandoned buildings, high school kids and young toughs wandering around acting threatening, etc. On the other hand it seemed like one of the most diverse parts of the North Side to me--lots of people of all ethnicities. The area around the Berwyn el stop was a lot nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: