Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 AM

5 posts, read 26,613 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting a job with Chicago Public Schools and my husband works in Naperville. Where would someone suggest we look for a single family home in a decent neighborhood that would enable a simple commute to Naperville (right off I-88)?

Any suggestions would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Do you have kids? How urban an environment do you want? There are a lot of new condos sprouting up along the Eisenhower even as far west as Kedzie. You'd have to be willing to accept the urban pioneer lifestyle to some degree. I've heard Tri-Taylor is nice but can be dicey crime-wise. Even further west you might consider Galewood. Its the neighborhood directly north of Oak Park, so about a 15 minute drive down Harlem to get to the Ike. Galewood's mostly SFH (bungalows) and, for now, its racially mixed.

Another possibility is the part of Chicago around O'hare. You'd get on the Kennedy, Tri-state, then I-88. Don't know what traffic would be like. Similarly, you could look at the area around Midway, close to the Stevenson.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 AM

We have a 4-yr old and wouldn't mind an urban environment. Are Tri-Taylor and Galewood technically within the Chicago boundaries?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahi3000 View Post
We have a 4-yr old and wouldn't mind an urban environment. Are Tri-Taylor and Galewood technically within the Chicago boundaries?
Yep, they're in the city. Tri-Taylor is a stone's throw from some nasty west-side projects, but most of them are being torn down and converted into mixed-income housing. There are some nice new developments closer to Halsted though, near the University of Illinois - Chicago. These are probably closer to Pilsen than Tri-Taylor.

I'd look on the Northwest Side near the expressway (Jefferson Park, Mayfair, etc.) if I were you--unless you can swing $750,000 for a house. If you have that kind of money, go for a nice kid-friendly North Side neighborhood like Lincoln Square or Roscoe Village. The commute to Naperville wouldn't be great, but the neighborhoods offer a lot more than the distant Northwest Side.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Yes, these neighborhoods are within the city limits.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Default galewood?

Can anyone elaborate on the Galewood/montclare neighborhood? I'm doing some internet research but if anyone has first-hand experience, that would be great.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Can anyone elaborate on the Galewood/montclare neighborhood? I'm doing some internet research but if anyone has first-hand experience, that would be great.
I live in Oak Park, a few blocks south of Galewood, so I've driven around the area a bit. The housing stock is mostly older with a lot of bungalows. There is some new construction condos along Harlem Ave and around the Metra stations. Not too many apartments as far as I can tell. From the street, the housing stock looks pretty well kept up.

Galewood used to be exclusively white, but that's obviously changing. African-Americans have been moving into the neighborhood, mostly on the east side. Additionally the Grand Ave corridor has been the traditional path of migration for Hispanics who are also moving into the neighborhood. For now, the neighborhood is ethnically mixed.

Don't know about crime. My sense is that its not high, but check out Crimes | EveryBlock Chicago for crime stats. For what its worth, I haven't seen any of the blue light police department cameras in the neighborhood.

There's a nice shopping center nearby, the totally renovated Brickyard (Narrangansett and Diversey). We go there quite a bit and its got a Target, Lowes, Starbucks, Jewel, Pier1, Office Depot, and a lot of other smaller shops. It feels brand new and totally safe.

Most of the neighborhood feels very auto oriented. Harlem and North Aves feel fairly suburban in terms of their street fronts and pedestrian-friendliness. The western end of Grand Ave near Harlem has a more downtown walkable feel to it, but is also a little bit shabby and rundown. There is talk about some gentrification projects there, but who knows when or if that will happen given the turn of the real estate market.

The nice thing about Galewood is that you're only two miles or so from downtown Oak Park which is the most "urban" area in the region.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,802 times
How closely does CPS monitor its employees addresses? I have heard that a lot of teachers (and firemen, police and other city workers) use false addresses.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post
How closely does CPS monitor its employees addresses? I have heard that a lot of teachers (and firemen, police and other city workers) use false addresses.
There are some that do,but not very many. They will be caught like others have in the past. The city does not mess around anymore with these things.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
There are some that do,but not very many. They will be caught like others have in the past. The city does not mess around anymore with these things.
Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't recommend that anyone take that risk, but I have heard that (with schools anyway) they pretty much look the other way. Kinda makes sense since the charters don't have that rule. I've also heard that there's been support for getting rid of the residency requirement in the IL House and Senate but AFAIK it has not passed. It's a pretty outdated requirement if you ask me and I don't think any other big cities have this requirement. I understand the thought process of keeping the money within the city but why limit your pool of potential candidates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago