Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times

Advertisements

Honky Tonk for meat smoque for sides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
If you're ever in North Park, try Smokey Bear's BBQ on Foster just east of Kimball. They're also opening up another one in Galewood, I think.

Anyways, it's pretty good meat, maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10. But the kicker is that they have WICKED good sweet potato fries. And you get a lot of food for the price.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Wow, I didn't know about the barbeque shortage. It's kind of surprising! If I had money to invest I would SO open up a place that did it right. It seems like a good business opportunity from what I'm seeing on this thread! I simply can't live without a good slab of baby back ribs... it's just not an option. Korean BBQ is tasty I agree. But only once in a blue moon. I don't get too crazy over a cuisine known for cooking Lassie and Toto LOL.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Black hoods.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:26 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
For ribs - Honey One
/thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Most in the know agree that Chicago is, shockingly, a BBQ desert, so you can expect to see a LOT more authentic BBQ places pop up in the next few years, with, I would guess, very traditional and authentic recipes imported direct from the best places in St. Louis, Kansas City, etc.

The new Q is very, very good, I think. I've also heard the new Lilly Q is good.

I'm far from an afficianado...but I'll always love Twin Anchors chicken n ribs and actually I would like to try Carson's one of these days though I've heard mixed reviews.

remind me to never listen to you on food matters, Chicago BBQ isn't great, but if you reccomend Carsons and Twin Achors over a plethora of better options...well you just don't know bbq.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Wow, I didn't know about the barbeque shortage. It's kind of surprising! If I had money to invest I would SO open up a place that did it right. It seems like a good business opportunity from what I'm seeing on this thread! I simply can't live without a good slab of baby back ribs... it's just not an option. Korean BBQ is tasty I agree. But only once in a blue moon. I don't get too crazy over a cuisine known for cooking Lassie and Toto LOL.
A ton of BBQ joints opened the last few years, many good. That bandwagon has come and gone. Browse LTH for food matters.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Not in Chicago but Austin BBQ in Wheaton is authentic Texas style BBQ. In Chicago I like Smoque.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Chicago may not be a BBQ mecca, but it has always had decent BBQ, certainly more than other Northern cities like Boston, Detroit, NYC, etc.

Historically Chicago BBQ has primarily been on the Southside. Places like Lem's, Leon's, and Barbara Ann's have been around for years. Unfortunately they've always been overshadowed by places that are just "ribs" places, and aren't solid BBQ (i.e. Carson's and Robinson's). Even before the recent waves of places opening up there were plenty of newer places that are decent. Smoke Daddy has been around for awhile, and has had it's ups and downs, but it is real BBQ and can be very good (I haven't been for a few years, but I've heard it's been on the upswing recently).

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM

491 posts, read 1,121,482 times
Yes, thus the phrase...."I'm far from an aficionado."

You'll notice the places I recommended were not Twin Anchors or Carsons, but Q and, via word of mouth, Lilly Q, as new places. Twin Anchors has a great atmosphere and history. Carsons just looks like a fun crusty old place.

I couldn't care less if you listened to me on food matters or anything else. Oh tell us, pride of the LTH forum, of the best BBQ places from real foodies who browse the LTH forum like yourself. Because, you know, no one else on here probably has ever heard of the LTH forum. Which makes you particularly informed and cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago