Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

For the acting classes, there are many possibilities. I am not sure which is best. My dd is a tech theater person, but not in Chicago anymore. She might know more because she has friends who are still here - some actors and some techies. Pm me your email and I will ask her.

Training Center - Chicago - Course Catalog - The Second City - 50 Years of Funny

The School at Steppenwolf | Steppenwolf Theatre Company

Act One Studios - The most recommended acting school in Chicago.

Acting Schools in Chicago, IL with Overviews of Classes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydeglas View Post
2. Now that I've made a fool of myself to think that a grand city such as Chicago would have multiple neighborhoods that are big into theatre and would be homes to those seeking entry onto their stages, are there any actors that responding and could give me personal opinions on classes and workshops?
If you've made a fool of yourself, and I don't think you have, it's because you reveal a lack of understanding of how big cities work. Which isn't surprising or shameful, seeing as you've never lived in one.

There ARE multiple neighborhoods in Chicago that value theatre. But if you're looking for a neighborhood where 80% of the residents work in theatre then you're not going to find it. Not in Chicago, and while I'm not an expert in New York or LA, probably not even in those cities. I suppose it's possible that London has a theatre-workers-only neighborhood, but even there I'd be surprised if such a thing existed.

However, don't let that dissuade you. A neighborhood with only one kind of resident would be boring. And besides, as an actor how can you best learn to play a variety of people - in other words, TO ACT - if you don't see, live with and experience a variety of people in your everyday life?

I've know actors who've lived all over Chicago. It's not detrimental to their careers, or important, really, where they live. What's important is their dedication to craft and, secondarily, their training.

I'm sure there are acting workshops in the NW suburbs that you can start with. Some of Chicago's most famous actors are actually from the suburbs here. It's probably best for you to find one in the NW suburbs, because if you work in Elgin, coming into the city frequently will just eat up time you should be spending acting.

If I can be perfectly frank, though, if your job in Elgin pays less than $30k/year, why would you keep it? If you want to be an actor, you can, with a little effort, find another job that pays in that range that's actually in the City of Chicago. Then you can have more workshops to choose from, and spend less time commuting. And if you're truely "financially set," then why would you need a job lined up to come to Chicago? Come here and find a job, and act as much as you can while you search for one. Learn to be a good waiter. The stereotype is that actors are waiters in New york and Chicago, and there is a lot of truth to it. You may think of waiting as a tough waitress in a $5 diner in Nebraska. In Chicago, being a waiter can be a profession - a profession where there are a LOT of waiters who earn more annually than you currently do. Chicago has better, more expensive restaurants than Nebraska, so waiters get better, bigger tip income. And at the best restaurants they get a better base, too. You can't just break into that overnight, but it IS a possibility. There are probably dozens of restaurants in Chicago where the best waiters and bartenders earn over $40k/year, and there might even be 10 places in Chicago where the best waiter earns close to $70k. And no, I'm not making that up.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,126 times
Default thanks to all

Thanks to all that have helped me on this post thus far.
To clarify work related to acting:
I am not giving up this job I have to become a waiter. I've been a waiter multiple times, and although not at such a restaurant as one you may find in Chicago, I believe I get the basics of the job...and I want no part in it. To become an actor, one does not need to be a waiter.
I'm very content with my current profession and the level of security it gives me. Now, there will come a day when I will begin auditioning for plays, commercials, whatever may come my way, and my work will impede my ability to land an ACTING job, even if it's a play with no pay or maybe a class that conflicts with my work hours. The reason I'd be moving to Chicago with money saved and a transferable job is that I'm going to devote a year or two when I first make the move to work my butt off and put away as much as I can.
Whatever happens in those first two years is what happens. I discover a theatre I can call a second home. I enlist in some classes that further my development as an actor. I join an improv troupe or school.
What it all comes down to is this:
I'd love to work IN Chicago. Not 40-60 minutes out. I work for Verizon Wireless.
I'd enjoy keeping my job, searching for theatres to audition for, and occasionally taking classes at many places I've checked out and have found would be great places to study at.
My girlfriend and I just want to live somewhere that has plenty of different things to try, to experience. When I said I wanted to live in an "actor's community", I meant finding a place in Chicago that is rich in art and music and pays respect to all aspects of performance.
Someone posted that "i scream Lincoln Park"....what does Lincoln Park offer in those terms?
Thanks to all that have replied and offered their thoughts. I hope I hear from more as I continue to gain new insight into all that is Chicago!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

94 posts, read 375,446 times
OP,

I also came from Nebraska (have lived in Chicago for four years now). I'm am not an actor or in theater, but I have many friends that are so hopefully this advice will have a little bit of credit to it.

Not to sound mean, but you sound like you are not 110% dedicated to becoming an actor. And in order to be successful at it, then you MUST be 110% dedicated. I don't understand why you are so adamant about keeping a job with Verizon when you said yourself you plan on ditching it in two years to start pursuing acting.

Because that is exactly what you will have to do. Take classes, join improv groups, go on auditions at least three to five times a week. You can't do this with a normal 9-5 job.

I also don't understand why you are so against waiting tables here. Let me tell you this, I started waiting tables in Lincoln while in school, and yes, it was mostly college kids who did that. When I moved here and went to school here, I found that most people who wait tables are between 24 and 35 (my age) and I did it for three years until I finally landed my dream job. It's a chore, but nothing in this world comes easy. And you know why they were all between 24 and 35... because they need a job that gives them flexibility to go on auditions all the time, or take extended periods of time off to do a show. You should really reconsider it.

Again, this is all going to come down to how much you want to become an actor, and you have to realize there are always more people out there willing to work harder at it than you to get a part. I have friends who have become successful in always landing theater parts or voiceover work, and I have friends who still need to call home to mom and dad asking for money because they can't support themselves and only audition maybe once every two weeks. Skip the job in Elgin, move to a neighborhood such as Lakeview, Buena Park, Andersonville, Wicker Park, or Logan Square, find a job that gives you the flexibility you need, and jump right in once you get here.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
I live in Elgin and the Big Timber Metra station is probably about a mile west of the Big Timber address of Verizon. The main Elgin Metra stop is probably about a mile southeast of Verizon. The Pace bus terminal is near the main Elgin station, there may be a bus or you might be able to get a co-worker to pick you up. There is a surprising amount of theater out here, but obviously probably a hundred times more in Chicago. They just had an event the last couple of Saturdays called something like Walkabout Theater, which had you walking to 3 or 4 different locations in downtown Elgin to see the whole play. They had a different theater group at each location. Elgin Community College has 2 theaters, there's also one called Steel Beam in St. Charles.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:34 PM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydeglas View Post
Someone posted that "i scream Lincoln Park"....what does Lincoln Park offer in those terms?
There are many places to perform as an artist or performer in Lincoln Park, but I would not recommend living there if you are an artist or performer. You likely can't afford living there and nor would you like it anyway. It is not like the average artist or performer lives in Lincoln Park anyway. I have no idea why it was brought up.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
When my dd lived here with roommates who were actors, they lived in a small apartment in Rogers Park, but I can't recommend that with a commute to Elgin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago