Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,905 times

Advertisements

Looking for some insight on my plan to possibly relocate to Chicago. I grew up in Indiana so I have visited the city several times, but always downtown touristy areas. I've loved it since I was a kid and just recently took my own children and husband there for a weekend visit while visiting family in Indiana. Once again I fell in love with the city and so did my family.

I currently live in Southern California, for the past few years, and I absolutely despise it (no offense to fellow SoCal folks). I hate the weather ( I LOVE seasons), I hate the people, I hate the cost of living (we rent a 4 bedroom house for $3k a month), I hate the lack of earth (concrete is the state tree), and I hate the direction that the state has been going for the past decade (broke and taxing the crap out of everyone).

The reasons I love Chicago...the architecture, the history, the art, the museums, the proximity of everything in a fairly central location, the seasons, the lake, the ability to walk to where you need to go...safely (in many areas), the endless things to do and see, the diversity, the amount of higher education in the area, and of course being close to my family is the number one reason.

So, my main concern is that I am simply blinded by my adoration of the city...is this really a good place to move my family? What are the things that make it not a good place to relocate to? What things am I overlooking just because it's where I want to be? Where would it be best to live in Chicago based on my family values? I just want to make sure that I am not being unrealistic and could really use the advice of current Chicago residents.

About us...my husband and I are both 30, we have three children (ages 10, 8 and 5) and a small dog (who is part of the family). We don't do the nightlife thing and spend most of our time out together as a family. Neither of us are really professionals, we are both college students (I am near the end of my 4 yr in liberal arts and he is nearing his 2 yr in media art.) I currently work as an executive assistant on a military base for the government but a transfer is highly unlikely due to an extended hiring freeze. Administration and military are the only work areas of expertise that I have and my husband pretty much refuses to work outside of his passion for art/media/digital/film though he has never had direct experience aside from a brief internship and a few freelance videos he produced. Our current combined income is about $80k. Oh, and we are both disabled veterans...I know that sometimes helps with preference for hiring.

Can you all weigh in? Thanks...hope to see you all soon in CHI

Last edited by Tiffany1231; 08-14-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany1231 View Post
Looking for some insight on my plan to possibly relocate to Chicago. I grew up in Indiana so I have visited the city several times, but always downtown touristy areas. I've loved it since I was a kid and just recently took my own children and husband there for a weekend visit while visiting family in Indiana. Once again I fell in love with the city and so did my family.

I currently live in Southern California, for the past few years, and I absolutely despise it (no offense to fellow SoCal folks). I hate the weather ( I LOVE seasons), I hate the people, I hate the cost of living (we rent a 4 bedroom house for $3k a month), I hate the lack of earth (concrete is the state tree), and I hate the direction that the state has been going for the past decade (broke and taxing the crap out of everyone).

The reasons I love Chicago...the architecture, the history, the art, the museums, the proximity of everything in a fairly central location, the seasons, the lake, the ability to walk to where you need to go...safely (in many areas), the endless things to do and see, the diversity, the amount of higher education in the area, and of course being close to my family is the number one reason.

So, my main concern is that I am simply blinded by my adoration of the city...is this really a good place to move my family? What are the things that make it not a good place to relocate to? What things am I overlooking just because it's where I want to be? Where would it be best to live in Chicago based on my family values? I just want to make sure that I am not being unrealistic and could really use the advice of current Chicago residents.

About us...my husband and I are both 30, we have three children (ages 10, 8 and 5) and a small dog (who is part of the family). We don't do the nightlife thing and spend most of our time out together as a family. Neither of us are really professionals, we are both college students (I am near the end of my 4 yr in liberal arts and he is nearing his 2 yr in media art. I currently work as an executive assistant on a military base for the government but a transfer is highly unlikely due to an extended hiring freeze. Administration and military are the only work areas of expertise that I have and my husband pretty much refuses to work outside of his passion for art/media/digital/film though he has never had direct experience aside from a brief internship and a few freelance videos he produced. Our current combined income is about $80k.

Interesting.

Well, thats great that you are excited by Chicago, we should all live somewhere that we like. Personally, although I love midwestern cities and suburbs (note: I say midwestern cities, not just Chicago, I love the bigger metro areas of Ohio and Michigan (The best kept secrets in America!). I'm actually looking to move to SoCal, I think LA is a better city for me to spend my single/20s and 30s years (I'm 30 and although I generally like ChicagoLANDERS, I don't really care for the yound adult single crowd in the city.

But I'm wondering about a few things: You say you hate the lack of earth, and that concrete is the "state tree of California", but despite the much large population, you are not that far of a drive to real nature, with mountain sides, some rugged coastline, rolling hills. You want to move to a city with a much larger downtown, overbuilt with modern glass and steel skyscrapers, but you talk about the lack of earth.

The Lakefront is a very narrow strip, that you can walk across in 10 minutes between the artificial beaches and where the high rises begin. Then it is all concrete all the way to 15 miles where the Des Plaines river where you have forest preserves. How much have you explored SoCal, have you gone hiking in the mountains and canyons. There are mountain and canyon parks all over. state beaches where there are dolphins and tide pools with sea anemones.

Now unless you want to live in the suburbs, and just visit the city, then thats a different story. Chicago suburbs are more green, and serene than LA suburbs. Most of the Chicago suburbs are quiter, more homy, more tree-filled than SoCal suburbs. (Again, at least in terms of the actual house lots). The city itself is a whole other story. Same thing goes for cost of living. But maybe that is you. There are lots of people who prefer living in the suburbs, but strongly value Chicago close by.

The other thing, is that since all the Chicago attractions are compact, accessible by public transportation, and always busy in the greater downtown, it is one of the most enjoyable for a visit by tourists.

Illinois is in the same boat, as are other states in terms of being broke and taking the heck out of everyone as California. Unless you want to move to Texas, or handful of other states doing very, well you are not going to escape that.

If youre husbands career is in film/media, I don't know why you would be leaving that area. I mean whatever issues SoCal has, it wouldn't really make sense to move to Chicago rather than LA. That is not really something Chicago is known for. Its like wanting to move away from Washington D.C. if you like working for the federal government.

I forgot to read that you are married and 30 with kids. That I guess changes things. Are you looking to live in the suburbs and then visit the city regularly? That works. Since the Chicago suburbs have the midwestern vibe that other midwest metro areas have. A bit more small town like in many areas.

Being close to family is important. I will comment on a few other things. If you love Chicago for its diversity, LA metro is more diverse generally speaking than Chicago. Although if you like the whole "lets do the old school european ethnic neighborhood thing" then Chicago has that. But LA definitely has more foreign born from everywhere around the country and world. And yes, if you like things in a central location Chicago DEFINITELY has that, although LA has more great museums than Chicago, but they are all scattered (in somes stunning locales at that: like the Getty Center on the hilltop.

I'm glad you are excited, but I'm concerned you are seeing things through rose-colored glasses. Chicago may very well indeed be for you. We all sometimes get sick of where we've been living, and are ready for a change.

I just got back from a visit to Cincinnati. I love that city, and think it would be a good city for my domestic/family phase in life. But I myself am looking to live in LA for a few years, since it is by far my favorite huge city.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
The biggest drawback is services are decreasing steadily while taxes keep going up to fund the staggering level of corruption in the state. The leadership here is particularly inept and clueless, pretty much on par with California. The economy is especially bad in Chicagoland, and we'll be one of the last to recover thanks to our leadership. Homes are much more affordable now, as housing prices have plummeted. Traffic is horrendous, you'll be spending many hours in your car. Gas prices are consistently the highest in the country.

The positives you listed all exist, though, and make living here bearable. It can be frustrating though. Administration jobs should be easy enough to find, and if your husband is in the arts, living in one of the countries largest cities will be beneficial. If you want a quiet neighborhood with affordable homes to spend time with your family, check out the far southwest side of the city.

Chicago is extremely diverse. I'm in the inner southwest suburbs, and even here, a stroll through Chicago Ridge Mall will display a wide range of races, ethnicities and languages. Chicago also has more large museums then L.A.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
The biggest drawback is services are decreasing steadily while taxes keep going up to fund the staggering level of corruption in the state. The leadership here is particularly inept and clueless, pretty much on par with California. The economy is especially bad in Chicagoland, and we'll be one of the last to recover for that reason. Homes are much more affordable now, as housing prices have plummeted. Traffic is horrendous, you'll be spending many hours in your car. Gas prices are consistently the highest in the country.

The positives you listed all exist, though, and make living here bearable. It can be frustrating though. Administration jobs should be easy enough to find, and if your husband is in the arts, living in one of the countries largest cities will be beneficial. If you want a quiet neighborhood with affordable homes to spend time with your family, check out the far southwest side of the city.
If she is coming from SoCal shes probably arleady familiar with horrendous traffic, and spending time in the car. Of everything I mentioned in the last post, I would say traffic is still worse in LA.

I don't know where in SoCal shes living, but she already has one of the largest cities right there, in fact one that is larger than Chicago.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
The biggest drawback is services are decreasing steadily while taxes keep going up to fund the staggering level of corruption in the state. The leadership here is particularly inept and clueless, pretty much on par with California. The economy is especially bad in Chicagoland, and we'll be one of the last to recover thanks to our leadership. Homes are much more affordable now, as housing prices have plummeted. Traffic is horrendous, you'll be spending many hours in your car. Gas prices are consistently the highest in the country.

Chicago is extremely diverse. I'm in the inner southwest suburbs, and even here, a stroll through Chicago Ridge Mall will display a wide range of races, ethnicities and languages. Chicago also has more large museums then L.A.
As bad as IL taxes are, CA is worse and was much harder hit....
CA, FL and MI are the worst hit, quite easily.
Sac, Stockton, Modesto, Riverside are worse, but SF/LA are also not too great. Tampa/Orlando/Bradenton/Palm Beach/Miami have also been hit hard... of course areas like Detroit/Flint/Dayton are bad in the midwest. Chicago area has fared better than all those places in the post recession market, despite the "negative" stuff you will hear on the boards or media outlets... Just look at the actual #'s released by Brookings Institute, BLS.Gov, etc.
Gas/housing market/traffic are worse in CA also, no doubt. Think of where they are coming from. I think her motives are pretty sound. Tex motives are sound too, for what he wants right now in life.
But the facts are the facts.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,905 times
Default Perhaps more info is needed...

I live in Orange County, Huntington Beach. I can see how many would be able to list an abundance of pros for this area as it is highly glamorized. However, as a Midwesterner at heart it is hard to exist here.

- There is ocean, there are mountains, there is desert...they are all packed! We live four miles from the ocean but going there is not even remotely desirable. Parking is nonexistent within three miles of the area beaches, over the past three years we have hardly had a day hot enough to enjoy the water, the beach is heavily lined with Corona beer tents and bimbo's in g-strings. In the city I live in there are more establishments with alcohol permits than any other city in O.C. and their customers are all walking to or from the beach. The mountains are a heck of a drive and require a trip over the infamous 91 freeway where one can easily sit in an idling car for three hours to go just six miles...we took the kids to the snow this past winter - Mapquest estimated a one hour trip...we arrived four hours later.

- Yes, there is nature in SoCal...if you want to drive and pay a fee to see it (if the smog is light and there is no marine layer). It's the mentality of this place that ruins the nature and breeds the concrete. Orange County is named after acres upon acres of orange groves that engulfed this region just one generation ago. There are no groves left, just a tree or two left over in overgrown backyards with decaying fruit drooping off of the branches. The county consistently seeks areas that can be paved over to provide parking or venues to bring in more taxable business income. Many homeowners have paved their backyards (as ours is, and many of our neighbors) due to a lack of desire to care for grass (most have gardeners that maintain the front yard and have no clue how to do it themselves in the back). Unlike a highly concentrated city mecca that Chicago, New York, Minneapolis and other large cities have; Southern California was never able to materialize a central "city" so hundreds of smaller areas throughout the region compete with one another, building and building, in an effort to bring in tourists and consumers. L.A. is hardly a city....it is a county. If you ask someone from Southern California where they are from they will say one of two things, L.A. or O.C....they don't claim a city - they try to claim an entire region. I'm sure that you would answer "I am from Chicago." L.A. is a complete misconception to most of the country, Hollywood is just a mile or two big...and people think that that is L.A.

-Regarding the employment opportunities in the media industry in L.A., this too is a joke. Southern California has two working class groups; the CEOs and the help. There is nothing in between, especially in the industry. The work that my husband has been able to obtain thus far (even through college internships) have been event oriented. These events have been exclusive to one theme: party. He has filmed numerous bikini contests, exotic dancer clothing line fashion shows, lingerie fashion shows (not La Perla and not Versace), no name rappers at clubs with wet t-shirt contests, been asked to take pictures of bikini models in the VIP room in unsightly poses, last week he did an interview of a rapper on film and we were surprised to learn that the filming site was at a marijuana warehouse..the rappers even had to take a break to get high! Most of these jobs were through the college internships and companies (though he's done a few weddings on freelance). He is gifted in fine art and digital media, but the only work he can find here is in a sexualized industry that smothers wholesome talent and adds half naked people to every event imaginable to attract consumers that are young and looking to spend money with a chance to party. I have a hard time even buying shorts for my 10 year old that go past her fingertips at her side...there are girls wearing halter tops to fifth grade...and the mom's love it. I call the people here plastic fantastics...it's not a stereotype if it's true. OMG, you mean Chicken of the Sea really isn't chicken????

-Diversity...yes, we have a bit of that. Thanks to a new law passed last month illegal immigrants can now be awarded federal grants to attend public universities and colleges in California. My husband actually was shut out of several courses due to admission preferences for this specific demographic...and he is utilizing his military G.I. Bill as a disabled veteran! I don't really think I need to say anything more about the "diversity" that Southern California enjoys.

-There are many things about California that I dislike...but the people are by far the most ill regarded aspect of my life here. I didn't want to go into detail before as I can guarantee there will be much bellowing over my opinion of the people here...but being from an area where people actually have souls, crave culture, aren't afraid of being real, don't care that they they have flaws (which make them so much more endearing and beautiful) and can hold a thirty second conversation on any subject that isn't on TMZ's last episode has made me partial to the Midwest. My entire in-law extended family lives here as well as a slew of colleagues and acquaintances...and I can honestly say that I have no freaking clue what they really, truly look like...under that bleach, fake breasts, lipo, veneers, and through the tint of a 5 series BMW I can't see anything other than O.C.

-So Cal is not a place...it is a mentality...and it will consume you.

-And just to put it out there...I am still young, and attractive...jealousy isn't the issue. Even if I were single and wanting to party I'd be sorely disappointed in the fact that my best friend can't even point out Illinois on a map without labels.

...commence retaliating remarks of the offended...

Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
...I currently live in Southern California, for the past few years, and I absolutely despise it ...

Can you all weigh in?

All valid points. For these reasons and more, I agree Chicago is way better than SoCal, not that SoCal is terrible, but Chicago's better.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Interesting.

Well, thats great that you are excited by Chicago, we should all live somewhere that we like. Personally, although I love midwestern cities and suburbs (note: I say midwestern cities, not just Chicago, I love the bigger metro areas of Ohio and Michigan (The best kept secrets in America!). I'm actually looking to move to SoCal, I think LA is a better city for me to spend my single/20s and 30s years (I'm 30 and although I generally like ChicagoLANDERS, I don't really care for the yound adult single crowd in the city.

But I'm wondering about a few things: You say you hate the lack of earth, and that concrete is the "state tree of California", but despite the much large population, you are not that far of a drive to real nature, with mountain sides, some rugged coastline, rolling hills. You want to move to a city with a much larger downtown, overbuilt with modern glass and steel skyscrapers, but you talk about the lack of earth.

The Lakefront is a very narrow strip, that you can walk across in 10 minutes between the artificial beaches and where the high rises begin. Then it is all concrete all the way to 15 miles where the Des Plaines river where you have forest preserves. How much have you explored SoCal, have you gone hiking in the mountains and canyons. There are mountain and canyon parks all over. state beaches where there are dolphins and tide pools with sea anemones.

Now unless you want to live in the suburbs, and just visit the city, then thats a different story. Chicago suburbs are more green, and serene than LA suburbs. Most of the Chicago suburbs are quiter, more homy, more tree-filled than SoCal suburbs. (Again, at least in terms of the actual house lots). The city itself is a whole other story. Same thing goes for cost of living. But maybe that is you. There are lots of people who prefer living in the suburbs, but strongly value Chicago close by.

The other thing, is that since all the Chicago attractions are compact, accessible by public transportation, and always busy in the greater downtown, it is one of the most enjoyable for a visit by tourists.

Illinois is in the same boat, as are other states in terms of being broke and taking the heck out of everyone as California. Unless you want to move to Texas, or handful of other states doing very, well you are not going to escape that.

If youre husbands career is in film/media, I don't know why you would be leaving that area. I mean whatever issues SoCal has, it wouldn't really make sense to move to Chicago rather than LA. That is not really something Chicago is known for. Its like wanting to move away from Washington D.C. if you like working for the federal government.

I forgot to read that you are married and 30 with kids. That I guess changes things. Are you looking to live in the suburbs and then visit the city regularly? That works. Since the Chicago suburbs have the midwestern vibe that other midwest metro areas have. A bit more small town like in many areas.

Being close to family is important. I will comment on a few other things. If you love Chicago for its diversity, LA metro is more diverse generally speaking than Chicago. Although if you like the whole "lets do the old school european ethnic neighborhood thing" then Chicago has that. But LA definitely has more foreign born from everywhere around the country and world. And yes, if you like things in a central location Chicago DEFINITELY has that, although LA has more great museums than Chicago, but they are all scattered (in somes stunning locales at that: like the Getty Center on the hilltop.

I'm glad you are excited, but I'm concerned you are seeing things through rose-colored glasses. Chicago may very well indeed be for you. We all sometimes get sick of where we've been living, and are ready for a change.

I just got back from a visit to Cincinnati. I love that city, and think it would be a good city for my domestic/family phase in life. But I myself am looking to live in LA for a few years, since it is by far my favorite huge city.

Why do you always lean so anti-Chicago in all your posts? Just curious what happened to you in regards to the city to put it so sour in your mind. Always stating what's good about Chicago, but then slant and stick in what can or is possibly bad about that aspect.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:

About us...my husband and I are both 30, we have three children (ages 10, 8 and 5) and a small dog (who is part of the family). We don't do the nightlife thing and spend most of our time out together as a family. Neither of us are really professionals, we are both college students (I am near the end of my 4 yr in liberal arts and he is nearing his 2 yr in media art.) I currently work as an executive assistant on a military base for the government but a transfer is highly unlikely due to an extended hiring freeze. Administration and military are the only work areas of expertise that I have and my husband pretty much refuses to work outside of his passion for art/media/digital/film though he has never had direct experience aside from a brief internship and a few freelance videos he produced. Our current combined income is about $80k. Oh, and we are both disabled veterans...I know that sometimes helps with preference for hiring.

With children of those ages, you want to look at suburbs for the schools. You can be on a subway or metra line to get into the city easily. Close in suburbs like Oak Park and Evanston have much to recommend them in terms of the schools and also activities for families and kids. I am not sure though with your background what kind of job you might get. I would suggest your husband is probably going to need to consider doing something outside media here in Chicago. My dd is a theater tech and always had *day* jobs. She's no longer in Chicago though and is working for a company that does trade shows and corporate parties full time in the Boston area.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 AM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
Depending on your budget and preferences and expectations it is also fairly easy IMO to raise kids in the city of Chicago. Some will talk on here as if kids=suburbs automatically but that is just a group think cliche and considering from the way you posted and talked about groups of people you don't like in SoCal I take you to be an independent minded person who can think for herself. I am not saying one must agree with me and move to the city to be independent but it is something one should consider. My attitude is the suburban forum should be used to lure people to the suburbs and the city forum should be used to at least make the case for city living no matter what one's station or stage of life. As long as we present realistic expectations of what one can expect for a given budget and expectations I see nothing wrong with that. Given that we don't yet know what your budgetary concerns and expectations are it is hard to recommend neighborhoods at this point however given you are coming from SoCal you will probably be surprised what you can get in Chicago for the money. Also someone who claims to love Chicago as much as you do I would assume would prefer to live in the city anyways. On the assumption you are vaguely middle class there are lots of places on the southwest and northwest sides of the city that are family friendly and have good access to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago