Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times

Advertisements

It is no secret that Chicago has more than one ppor neighborhood. If you live there or if you ever visited you know what they are and where they are.

How do you begin to correct the 75-years of misery?

My thoughts are [1] strongly enforce city landlord regs. [2] Extend repairs to the poor who own their houses. [3] More police for better gang control.

This is not a black/white issue or us versus them. It is a serious subject for serious people. If you don't want to discuss it, lurk or move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:28 PM

83 posts, read 133,574 times
I think there needs to be some type of law that says if you don't come forward if you witness a crime, that is a crime in itself. This "no snitch" crap has to stop. Also the gangs' hierarchies need to be taken out. If you take out a corner chief or something, someone else will be replacing him within the hour.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 28,577 times
What do you mean by "poor"? Poor and crime-ridden are two different issues although related.

Fix our education system by fixing how schools are funded (mostly via property taxes) and I think it may help.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,204,888 times
It has to start when your a child.
If a kid thinks its ok to be rude, steal, hit people when they don't get their way. Its going to follow into adolescence and adulthood.

The thing that kept me in check was the fact that I was scared of my parents if I did something wrong.

Most kids in those neighborhoods are not scared of their parents and do bad things with no consequences.

So the fixing starts at home with parents that enforce rules. Kids will be afraid of consequences... do good in school... and get a job.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:26 PM

46 posts, read 144,612 times
I can think so simple some times; but, I always wondered how home ownership would improve the conditions of some areas. Most areas in Chicago where home ownership is the prevalent theme are better regardless of income level or location.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post
I think there needs to be some type of law that says if you don't come forward if you witness a crime, that is a crime in itself. This "no snitch" crap has to stop. Also the gangs' hierarchies need to be taken out. If you take out a corner chief or something, someone else will be replacing him within the hour.
The problem with this though is a lack of the police doing their job. People in a neighborhood can tell the police about someone doing something illegal, but the police don't do anything about it.

You can "snitch" all you want, but if the police are not going to back you up, what can you do?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,448,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post
I think there needs to be some type of law that says if you don't come forward if you witness a crime, that is a crime in itself. This "no snitch" crap has to stop.
Would you snitch on your neighbor if he A.) has a gun, B.) has friends with guns, C.) wouldn't appreciate you tattling, and D.) will probably get away with the crime anyway due to a lack of other evidence?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Great point the people live in fear and this too is probably why you see good people leaving the parts that need to be improved

and then the people who stay are the ones who are creating all the probs
its a vicious cycle that just continues to go around and around

you cant have a sustainable area if you have good people who move to the burbs
my job takes me into these neighborhoods and i can tell you the good people who you want living there want nothing else but to move where its quiet yet some are trapped because of the market

somehow you have to pull the weeds and that is probably with a zero tolerance starting with the cops , i cant see any othe way out of that mess

the other side of the problem is they go to jail go to prison get out and its back to square one again back to the same homebase you see the cycle just never ends

Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,204,888 times
Why are you all trying to get rid of the problem people instead of fixing them?

My idea is the best. You guys just want to kill or put everyone in prison.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Poverty is solved by money and money is supplied by jobs. I'd enact high tariffs to bring manufacturing jobs back to The United States. While I'm at it I'd also tax the sending of computer type jobs overseas.

Otherwise we can look forward to permanent decline and an eventual sink to status as a second rate power, both economically and politically. And increased rather than decreased poverty and crime no matter how many coppers we hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: