Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Why are you all trying to get rid of the problem people instead of fixing them?

My idea is the best. You guys just want to kill or put everyone in prison.
I would agree with you in the fact the whole problem starts on the home front IF you have a mom and a dad at home who would nurture the development of the chid
Problem is either mom or dad is not around and grandmother or grandfather is raising the child

I am sure your aware your method of solving the issue is something that everyone would want but out in the real world its not the case
It has been tried over and over and over

Of course the issue starts at home
I would tend to think too if you have a job and you make decent money and are able to see the fruits of your labor than its going to give you self esteem and value of a famlly

with out that your just going to be round and round same old same old
I am not stating prison is the answer as its part of the CYCLE
but at the frontline what else can you do let the law breakers run free on the streets? Not even sure what the recidivism rates are any more but i am sure they are low so I would think the rehabilitation idea is just putting a band aid over the problem but at least they are not out injuring, robbing or murdering an innocent life or harming their own child-
we have all seen way to much of this across our nation

No one has the answer its human nature all we can do is provide the basic tools to be a good citizen and human
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Yeah put some HEAVY taxation on the federal level of any company sending jobs over seas

i am sure too that comment will get some free market thinkers complaining but we have nothing short of an almost collapse on the homefront

Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
We absolutely need manufacturing jobs back in this country.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
They'll never come back. People in power in this country make too much money helping their corporate friends move their operations abroad, and unions would sooner shut down a factory employing thousands than take a pay cut.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
They'll never come back. People in power in this country make too much money helping their corporate friends move their operations abroad, and unions would sooner shut down a factory employing thousands than take a pay cut.

You are mistaken, many unions have taken cuts in pay and benefits and in any event many of the manufacturing jobs moved overseas were non union anyway. An example is the furniture business which moved from Michigan to the Carolinas to get away from unions and has now gone to China to get away from American workers of any type. Same with textiles.

The people in power who benefit from current policies can be defeated once the political will to do so is achieved. It's also possible that American elites might conclude that free trade is no longer in their interest.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Has to start with the kids. It may be too late for the parents. It will take a generation.

Education and after school programs. Vocational training programs in high schools, and free programs for GED. Get people educated or there is no hope. (Property taxes funding schools is wrong. It is clearly unconstitutional in my mind.)

Aggressive sex ed starting in 6th grade, with free contraception. No more pregnant high school girls. This leads to another doomed generation, and a 16 year old girl (and potentially her kids...) who will become dependent upon society for life. And if she does get pregnant, she must continue school/pass her GED and continue vocational/job training/education to receive funds.

Jobs for high school kids, especially in summer. Have them do community rebuilding/gardening/cleaning/big brother/child care/internet projects. Things that help the community.

Safe parks/basketball courts, with some police patrols. Again, for the kids.

It takes $. But we forget that investing $5000 for a job for a high schooler could save the $35,000+ a year that we will pay to keep them imprisoned.

Our whole society is based on today. We don't think rationally about what is best for the long term. That is due to our own personal fears about having to sacrifice some of we have to make a "stranger's" life better or more fair. And of course, this is due to our warped political system, where the average politicians goals are simply to get re-elected.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
yeah you sure nailed this one down- the few ceo's owners etc stockholders rake in the bucks

while us swines sweat it out worrying about another recession
if you even think we pulled outselves out of the muck with the last depression from 3 years ago

modern day depression

Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You are mistaken, many unions have taken cuts in pay and benefits and in any event many of the manufacturing jobs moved overseas were non union anyway. An example is the furniture business which moved from Michigan to the Carolinas to get away from unions and has now gone to China to get away from American workers of any type. Same with textiles.
Point taken. I blame unions for the initial decline, especially in states like ours where they have heavy influence, but of course now, the American worker cannot compete against overseas work environments with cheaper labor and carelessly little regulation.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM

I see your point with this too first in the line of fire was the union workers
who could actually make a decent wage for their families and survive the american dream, next they rip the jobs from the north give to the south where labor is much cheaper (no unions)
next they rip the jobs from the low paying workers in the south and give to the labor pool of the world CHINA with their minipulation of currencey and a communist country yet we as americans CONTINUE to turn our cheek and buy the goods at the lowest cost

on the other side you see what the unions are doing to mccormick
not claiming to know the whole story on that issue because i only believe about 25% what comes out of the press or is flashed on tv or voiced on the radio anymore its all GARBAGE-

amazes me the dailey show (spelling) on comedy central actually has some really true points

Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 PM

40 posts, read 148,049 times
You need to diversify the neighborhoods south of 35th st. That will be very hard to do because 35th - 100th st is 99% black and poor. Putting up Starbucks around the corner and gentrification won't work. There are many beautiful rehabbed and low priced houses, but nobody is going to move in a black neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: