Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
WTF-----IS THERE A NATURE FORUM ON CITY DATA
THREAD SHOULD CLEARLY BE MOVED...
You may be right.

So in order to keep this thread here, I'm going to add a new flavor to this discussion:

Without a doubt, Chicago pigeons are tougher than NYC pigeons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
You may be right.

So in order to keep this thread here, I'm going to add a new flavor to this discussion:

Without a doubt, Chicago pigeons are tougher than NYC pigeons.
What ever your pleasure- seems to be alot of pigeon admirers on the board
Must admit i did get a laugh out of the original post- which is never a bad thing

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM

248 posts, read 1,073,781 times
hey listen....To Hell with Pigeons!!! They are Flying Rats. You need a GF or BF or something too.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
There are like no pigeons in KC. I never would've thought I'd miss them.

So, the lesson? BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR PIGEONS, CHICAGO!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There are like no pigeons in KC. I never would've thought I'd miss them.

So, the lesson? BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR PIGEONS, CHICAGO!
It's funny. Living in Cleveland for about a month or so I tried to figure out why it seemed off while walking around downtown ... then I realized I had only seen about 5 pigeons in that whole time frame. Pigeons even know Cleveland isn't all that exciting lol

Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 30,455 times
I came to within about a foot of hitting a pigeon riding my bike on desplaines the other day. It flew up like right in my face, had to move my arm so I didn't hit it.

Reminds me of one time when my old neighbor had an injured pigeon taking refuge on his stoop and when we tried to feed it and he saw us, he was confused as hell haha. Then he proceeded to declare that it was unsanitary and removed the pigeon with his hands. He then got back in his car, rubbing that sweet pigeon juice all over his steering wheel....

Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM

72 posts, read 110,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Pigeons. That's who.

Have you ever payed attention to the pigeons walking around? I didn't until I saw one hobbling along. Why was the pigeon hobbling along? Because he was missing toes, that's why!!! So I started to look at other pigeons in the area and many, if not all, had toes missing! And then I found another one that had Zero ( 0 ) toes. Nothing but stumps!

And then there are fines given out ($200) if you give the birds food. Also no vantage points for scoping out food due to all the pointy sticks on top of signs and lights. Sure, they can sit on the ledge of a building, but can they really see 100 feet down onto the sidewalk for food? It would be much easier to only be 10 feet above the area in which one scours for food.

On top of that, pigeons don't seem to be too bright.

"Hey buddy! You don't have any toes! Why don't you use those wing things you have and, you know, FLY to where you want to go."

As a sidenote, I would love to see a pigeon on the platform when a train pulls up and the doors open, and the pigeon gets on. He then calmly rides to like Belmont, gets off, and then waits on the platform for his transfer. That scenario would probably make my year.
LMAO! Eh though. Ive noticed that too. I believe its from the man made food the pigeons are eating. Their walking around with tumors,deformed toes, missing toes. Too much starch and sugar from the foods we make. That has to be it. Goofy post though. Good but goofy.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 AM

29 posts, read 49,627 times
I swear I thought I was the only one who noticed the abundance of pigeons with deformed feet/missing toes! LOL Once I noticed it, I cant help but check everytime I see one. I'm just trying to figure out wtf happened to them?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

*I hugzed da pidgin 4 u, mmkay?*
So you see that picture? A monkey hugging a pigeon.

You can't even find a scene like this in Chicago anymore. Squirrelification has placed such a strain on the existing botany stock that it is literally impossible to find monkeys hugging pigeons in the city anymore. Gone .

Monkeys at peace and loving another species, a pigeon, in the confines of Chicago? Not anymore friends.

You can thank the squirrels and their McTreehouses for that one.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a2dac19...in/photostream

That picture is further proof of the kind of conditions that pigeons have to live in, here in Chicago. What you don't see is The Man just outside the frame who released the pigeon hunting hound.

And that dog? That dog couldn't more pleased at chasing off the pigeons who were peacefully congregating in the park.

What have the pigeons ever done to that dog to make him so violent towards them? Did they owe him some garbage pickings? Poop on his head? Because they look different with their missing toes?

Squirrels never receive that type of treatment here. Nor the seagulls. I believe rats draw as much ire as the pigeons, but I suspect that if the rats had wings and could fly away and weren't bound to the ground, people would overlook them in favor of Chicago's pastime of ostracizing and displacing pigeons.

Is there anything the pigeons could do to get some clout? Could they organize a union? Or is the squirrel lobby solidly entrenched in the mayor's pocket due to their copious donations of nuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago