Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM

7 posts, read 8,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuito View Post
$1200 is a good budget. I would suggest looking along the northern half of the red line, northeast Chicago: Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park. Also, you may be able to find a suitable place along the brown and blue lines, north of (roughly) Belmont and Logan Sq, respectively. I'm addicted to being close to the water, so I will always prefer the Red.

I don't think you'll need to pay 6 months rent upfront, and I would avoid doing so. The landlord may be unstable; this has especially become a problem during the housing downturn; landlords have been foreclosed upon and their tenants kicked out.

And I would certainly try to set up job interviews prior to coming here. That may give you a good feel for the market.
I'll definitely look at those areas as well to see what they have to offer.

I will be applying for work before i come over, but in this economy i think employers can be choosy, and i wouldnt be surprised if having UK contact details on my resume puts employers off (eventough i'm a USC and entitled to work in the states).

I take your point about the 6 months rent, but my theory was that without a job, and no US credit history, i might not be able to get an apartment at all unless i have something to offer as some sort of guarantee.
What does anyone think on this? Are my chances of getting an apartment pretty slim without a job and credit history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3w266 View Post
What does anyone think on this? Are my chances of getting an apartment pretty slim without a job and credit history?
Yes, you're right. Without good credit or a solid job, a landlord wouldn't have any reason to think you capable of paying him/her. I would definitely expect to pay up front.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 AM

48 posts, read 131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3w266 View Post
I'll definitely look at those areas as well to see what they have to offer.

I will be applying for work before i come over, but in this economy i think employers can be choosy, and i wouldnt be surprised if having UK contact details on my resume puts employers off (eventough i'm a USC and entitled to work in the states).

I take your point about the 6 months rent, but my theory was that without a job, and no US credit history, i might not be able to get an apartment at all unless i have something to offer as some sort of guarantee.
A sublet can be had on more flexible terms than a conventional lease with an established landlord. Many of the people subletting units can be rather anxious themselves about getting a tenant.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM

425 posts, read 995,779 times
If you want to live close to the loop, you could probably get a sublet at Presidential Towers for under $1000 a month. There are websites for sublets - I used sublet.com, when I was looking for a sublet a few years ago. I sublet a place there from a woman needing to return to Canada.

Good luck with the move - I moved from Australia to Chicago when I was your age, and never regretted it.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,094 times
Chicago is a great American city, but don't sell the farm back home to make the jump! Not sure why you'd want to, but that's your business. Some things to remember though: (1) All privatised health care system (if you can't get insurance from your employer, count on paying upwards of 300 USD per month for it), (2) No pensioning system here, public or private (looking down the road a bit, I know ;-) (3) Not sure if this would affect you, but we're crap at organised labour, i.e., there is very little of that here.

Besides a regular sublet, and if you don't mind living out of a suitcase, you might be able to nab a deal through Priceline at an Extended Stay America or similar property. I have done this before around the States and it is comparable or cheaper to regular rent. It'll be near the airport most likely, such as Des Plaines. Not the most accessible to Chicago, but you can take a PACE bus, then Blue line CTA into the city from there. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago