Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times

Advertisements

They even bait you with bicycles. Sometimes I see an unlocked bike in front of a store and I think it's either a setup or someone stupid doesn't use a bike lock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
This isn't a terrible concept, but they would reduce more crime in this instance by targeting professional thieves. I imagine leaving a older model car (easier to steal) parked for weeks with a gps hidden inside doesn't make great television, but for all we know, they might be doing that as we speak.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:24 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Don't you guys ever watch Law&Order? They tell you at the beginning of every show, the purpose of the police is to catch criminals. Not to reduce crime, or to eliminate crime.

Expecting the police to help you with crime reduction is ultimately a waste of your time. It is in the best interests of the police for crime to continue, and to increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
His job is no different than anyone else's. Once a service is no longer needed, the people that provide that service are laid off. No more murders? No more homicide detectives. No more beatings, robberies, car thefts, etc? No more patrol cops.

Even though they are employed to "stop crime", it is in the police officer's best interest for crime to continue, if not increase. If it increases, job security increases along with the value associated with the service they provide.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,653 times
Maybe I'm dense but doesn't catching criminals reduce crime? So explain to me how it's in the best interest of the Police for crime to continue yet the Police are actively arresting said criminals... There is a lot of misunderstanding and contradictory statements in a lot of the comments.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
Yes youre dense. Catching pretty criminals does nothing but increase the prison population, without addressing a single root cause. For every corner drug seller you arrest there are 2 more waiting to take his place.

Also, catching petty criminals AFTER a crime is committed does nothing to help the person who he hit over the head or raped.

It was already explained in a previous post, that significantly lower crime would mean we need fewer police. So you are basically asking the police to put themselves out of a job. That is something few people would ever do.

The ideal is to have a society where more and more people decide to NOT be criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Maybe I'm dense but doesn't catching criminals reduce crime? So explain to me how it's in the best interest of the Police for crime to continue yet the Police are actively arresting said criminals... There is a lot of misunderstanding and contradictory statements in a lot of the comments.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,653 times
Jackson...huh? All I hear is double speak. The claim is that crime is down anyway. Who's to say these are petty criminals? If they are part of a larger organized ring then this could be discovered. Have no idea what you are talking about someone being hit over the head or rape. This isn't Minority Report. The only way we as Police can prevent crime is through visible presence. Put many are intent on committing crimes regardless of Police presence. So once the crime is committed its now our job to catch them. Of course society wants fewer criminals, but no matter how many jobs are created or free money is handed out there will still be criminals. Jackson you make a lot of contradictory statements and appear to be missing a lot of the socialogical and psychological issues that exist with crime.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Who's to say these are petty criminals? If they are part of a larger organized ring then this could be discovered.
As was already said, professional car thieves would see through this trick from a mile away. The guys they catch on bait car are just typical street thugs or people interested in a crime of opportunity. Highly doubtful that a car theft ring would get busted this way. Highly, highly doubtful.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Those kids look like a bunch of hyenas crawling over the days kill. Sad really, I used to hangout with kids like this.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Those kids look like a bunch of hyenas crawling over the days kill. Sad really, I used to hangout with kids like this.
Treated

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Just don't ever, ever pick up anything on the subway. Never. That's almost always a trap set by police, no matter how good your intentions (or how worthless the object).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago