Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM
AGV AGV started this thread

1 posts, read 1,979 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm moving to Chicago to attend the Art Institute.

I'm originally from Madison, WI but have been living in Denver. I want an apartment that's close to bars and grocery stores, but it doesn't necessarily have to be close to the school. Out here I take the lightrail everywhere so I don't mind public transportation.

I'm a 21 year old female, and I'd love to be in a neighborhood of a younger crowd, I like to go out and have fun. I just need some tips!

I'm used to paying between $500-$800 a month for a studio or one bedroom.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:38 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
You can find a studio in East Lakeview in your price range. Great neighborhood full of 20 somethings (and some older...but slanted towards young professionals). Great shops, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. You can stroll North Broadway from Diversey Pkwy up to Addison St and beyond. 2 blocks east of Broadway is Lake Shore Dr and the park/lake is on the other side of "the drive". Great running/biking trails along the lakefront path.

There are other cool neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park (immediately south of Lakeview and the border street is Diversey Pkwy). Also, you might enjoy Wicker Park which is rather hip but a bit "inland" from the lake.

good luck to you.

check craigslist for apts or google apartment rental agencies in 60657 for Lakeview or 60614 for Lincoln Park. In Chicago, there is generally no fee to the renter when you go through an agency (the landlord pays the fee). You don't typically sign an exclusive agreement so you can search with a rental agency and simultaneously do your own search so you don't miss anything.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 6,198 times
Default Need help in finding a secured apartment for rent

Dear Chicago members,
Can you please advice me a good apartment community in Des plains/ Prospect Heights area, i need to travel to Riverwoods and chicago downtown for work. Any area in between these 2 places will be helpful.

Also i am not worried about school zone

Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM

204 posts, read 911,659 times
Both Wicker Park and Lakeview are great choices for you and may fit your price range if you look around. A studio in Lakeview under $800 would be easy to find, whereas a 1 br may be more difficult (not impossible, just small and/or a little worn). Studios in Wicker Park are in short supply; there just aren't as many buildings with studios, but should be in your price range. One bedrooms may be a little above your range, but if you look hard enough you might find something doable. Ukrainian Village (next to Wicker Park) rents might be a little cheaper and its a great neighborhood as well.

As a student at the Art Institute (10 years ago), I lived in both Lakeview and Wicker Park. I preferred the latter as the commute (Division Blue line stop) was shorter and had other art students and just more of a neighborhood feel. Other neighborhoods to check out would be Logan Square (a little further out), Pilsen (you could find a great place in your budget, but as developed as other neighborhoods- Wicker Park 15 years ago), Lincoln Park (might be out of your price range, a little too homogenous).

Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science007 View Post
Dear Chicago members,
Can you please advice me a good apartment community in Des plains/ Prospect Heights area, i need to travel to Riverwoods and chicago downtown for work. Any area in between these 2 places will be helpful.

Also i am not worried about school zone
Start a new thread in the suburban forum!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
You can find a studio in East Lakeview in your price range. Great neighborhood full of 20 somethings (and some older...but slanted towards young professionals). Great shops, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. You can stroll North Broadway from Diversey Pkwy up to Addison St and beyond. 2 blocks east of Broadway is Lake Shore Dr and the park/lake is on the other side of "the drive". Great running/biking trails along the lakefront path.

There are other cool neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park (immediately south of Lakeview and the border street is Diversey Pkwy). Also, you might enjoy Wicker Park which is rather hip but a bit "inland" from the lake.

good luck to you.

check craigslist for apts or google apartment rental agencies in 60657 for Lakeview or 60614 for Lincoln Park. In Chicago, there is generally no fee to the renter when you go through an agency (the landlord pays the fee). You don't typically sign an exclusive agreement so you can search with a rental agency and simultaneously do your own search so you don't miss anything.
This is very good advice.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM

355 posts, read 1,047,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
In Chicago, there is generally no fee to the renter when you go through an agency (the landlord pays the fee).
This is good news! My other option is Boston, MA and it's the other way around. You will usually have to pay the broker fee yourself. Another pro for Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago