Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,747 times

Advertisements

A lot of discussion has been done on how to lower crime, and clean up trashy neighborhoods. And for many, the answer is either gentrification, or the relocation of certain residents. Well... I think the cure is to: INCREASE EDUCATION.

In most instances, there's a direct correlation between crime and knowledge. That is, the higher crime rates are, in a particular area, the lower the presents of college educated people. And, the lower the crime rates, the higher the presents of educated people. My question is, if people aren't well educated, how can they teach each other to be something other than criminals? I know the government has worked to provide schooling for children in these neighborhoods. The problem is, a lot of these students don't have someone, at home, to help them with their homework. And, without proper tutoring, they're quick to fall behind. So, we need to get into these areas and provide those children and young adults with "free" programs such as tutoring, financial aid, and job training, and then we will start to make a difference. Let me be clear. I'm not saying they are totally without knowledge, because gang members and drug dealers are some of the smartest people on earth. The problem is, they're using their "street" knowledge in a counter productive way.

Also, gangs and drug dealers don't maintain or increase the value their communities, because most of them are renters. Once people obtain better educations, they will (1) seek legitimate careers and (2) become home owners, who work to rid their neighborhoods of crime and filth.

So, there you have it. I'm not sure if this would actually work, or what it would take for such a program to succeed, but I think it's a great concept that would get the ball rolling in the right direction. Please, feel free to share your opinion, or offer a viable solution. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-09-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I partially agree with you but education is not a panacea unless there are jobs and good jobs at the end of the pipeline paying a living wage. and also not everyone is really capable of higher education. there has to be some technical or trade schools. what about training people to be plumbers, electricians, computer techs, auto mechanics etc. some of these pay fairly decent wages if you work hard.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,329 times
I don't think you can directly reduce crime (unless you yourself are a criminal, then of course the ball is in your court, lol), but you can probably reduce desperation.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
That is, the higher crime rates are, in a particular area, the lower the presents of college educated people. And, the lower the crime rates, the higher the presents of educated people. solution.
Funny.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Funny.
How so?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Presents for the uneducated? How about a living wage? Factories, steel mills and trade schools..

Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,044 times
It always starts with the home.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I don't think you can directly reduce crime (unless you yourself are a criminal, then of course the ball is in your court, lol), but you can probably reduce desperation.
You may not be able to reduce crime. But, in an attempt to do so, what would you be willing to do? Outside of doubting it can be done, of course.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
It always starts with the at home.
I agree.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I partially agree with you but education is not a panacea unless there are jobs and good jobs at the end of the pipeline paying a living wage. and also not everyone is really capable of higher education. there has to be some technical or trade schools. what about training people to be plumbers, electricians, computer techs, auto mechanics etc. some of these pay fairly decent wages if you work hard.
Thanks for your positive input. Technical or trade schools would be a great idea. It would give many young men something to look forward to, other than being a menace to society. I'm curious to see how many people will part take in this thread. When the question is where to live in Chicago, EVERYONE has negative things to say about how bad certain areas can be. But, open a discussion about how to fix the bad neighborhoods, and you can hear a pin drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago