Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I've never gotten a ticket for speeding in a school zone. I also cannot remember the last time I got a ticket for speeding in Chicago off of the expressways.
Since you think the speed limit is 35, the only reason you haven't gotten a ticket is because we don't have enough police, or the ones in your neighborhood are shirkers.

You don't get the irony, but you are single-handedly justifying these cameras.

They are there to discourage people - like you - from speeding since the City can't afford enough police to actually ticket all the offenders, and since people like you clearly don't understand that you aren't supposed to speed on side streets not because it is illegal, but because it is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about driving recklessly? That's another conversation entirely. Anyway, your lot never questions anything.
No, it's the same conversation. Driving too fast on a side street is driving recklessly - it's called "driving too fast for conditions."

I wish we could have one community area where your ilk could vote to make the speed limit as fast as you want, as long as we could wall you in Berlin-style.

Keep your lead foot out of my neighborhood so that kids can be kids without wanna-be Indy 500 racers putting them in the hospital.

Want to go fast? Stay on the *&^%$#@! highway.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Since you think the speed limit is 35, the only reason you haven't gotten a ticket is because we don't have enough police, or the ones in your neighborhood are shirkers.

You don't get the irony, but you are single-handedly justifying these cameras.

They are there to discourage people - like you - from speeding since the City can't afford enough police to actually ticket all the offenders, and since people like you clearly don't understand that you aren't supposed to speed on side streets not because it is illegal, but because it is wrong.

The cameras are there to generate revenue, period. There are no accidents or pedestrians being hit in these zones. You're just too stupid to see that.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The cameras are there to generate revenue, period. There are no accidents or pedestrians being hit in these zones. You're just too stupid to see that.
I await your lavish apology, or your angry relocation to the Deliverance-style community you clearly crave:

Emanuel, McCarthy offer different messages on cameras for speeders - Chicago Tribune

To back up their case for cameras in Chicago, McCarthy and Brizard cited a city Department of Transportation crash study that found more than 84 percent of all Chicago pedestrian accidents from 2005 to 2009 occurred within a quarter-mile of a school or park. During that same period, there were 861 crashes involving children during school arrival and dismissal times within a quarter-mile of school, according to the study.

Takea fresh drink of your supposedly-clean tapwater before you fire off some knee-jerk response.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
THEN DRIVE THE GOD DAMN SPEED LIMIT AND IT WON'T BE A PROBLEM.

What the hell is wrong with you?

If they were adding in new school zones I could see where you're coming from, but they're not. They're just ensuring that the laws which are already in place can be economically enforced.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to aragx6 again"

Just another one of these "laws apply to everyone but me" people, apparently.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
THEN GO THE GOD DAMN SPEED LIMIT AND IT WON'T MATTER ANYWAY.

What the hell is wrong with you?

If they were adding new school zones in addition to adding the cameras, I could genuinely see where you're coming from, but they're not -- they're simply ensuring that the laws which are already in place can be economically enforced.
I do usually travel at or below the speed limit when I'm driving in the city. It's the concept of these cameras that pisses me off.Chicagoans have been conditioned to literally accept anything without question.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Jeez, sorry I deleted that post you quoted -- either my internet or this forum is being wonky (or both?). It didn't appear to post the first time. I was sad, rewrote it, still wouldn't work, restarted my computer and lo and behold they're both there.

So I try to delete one, it says I can't, so I try to delete the other, it works and then I come back and BOTH are deleted.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

Just another one of these "laws apply to everyone but me" people, apparently.
You mean like a Chicago politican?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
I do usually travel at or below the speed limit when I'm driving in the city. It's the concept of these cameras that pisses me off.Chicagoans have been conditioned to literally accept anything without question.
No, it's that many people genuinely don't see the issue with them and you've done nothing to change that opinion for me yet.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt that since you didn't even know what the speed limit was.

But from the other conversation you seem to be conflating this specific thing with all sorts of other chicanery and corruption.

So just to be clear - I am quite livid, still, about the sweetheart/boondoggle that was the parking meter fiasco. Beyond just the fiscal stupidity, what really gets my goat is we basically have ceded ownership of the streets. It's beyond tragically stupid.

I was most definitely quite skeptical about the red light cameras. But having gotten two tickets and then having seen videos posted which clearly showed me not coming to a complete stop before making a red light (twice), what it's made me do is pay more attention to my driving. That's not bad, that's good.

Regardless, the fact is Chicago drivers are bleepin' awful. Many don't even respect people in crosswalks when there's a stop sign, much less when there isn't - the fact we need to pay people to help kids cross the street at clearly marked crosswalks says it all.

I'm really tired of hearing the excuses, that it's somehow all the fault of bicyclists, or whatever other strawman is in vogue.

It's pretty simple - obey the rules of the road and you'll be fine. This is not the government spying in your private life, tapping your phones, etc. These are public streets.

While I am quite sure that revenue sweetens the deal, I would also imagine the City shells out millions and millions of dollars a year in wrongful death lawsuits. If we want to critique the City's finances, I'm with you, but that's a full time job for an army of hundreds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: