Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM

99 posts, read 167,634 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am young female who about 7 years ago moved to a suburb of Dallas from Chicago. I've gone to visit many times but haven't been there for extended periods of time since I left, and I was wondering how my old neighborhoods have fared.

From birth to 9 yrs of age I lived at 2139 West 22nd Place in Pilsen, and from 9-13 I lived in Brighton Park, at 4511 S. Spaulding Ave... if anyone has any information on how these neighborhoods are now (I was actually caught in a drive by once leaving my home at a stop sign in Brighton so I would guess that location isn't doing too well) I would LOVE to hear about it. Also, what are would be considered safer now? Brighton Park or Pilsen to live in? I'm contemplating moving back to the city and would love to be around people of my race (for food, groceries etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windynostalgia View Post
Hello. I am young female who about 7 years ago moved to a suburb of Dallas from Chicago. I've gone to visit many times but haven't been there for extended periods of time since I left, and I was wondering how my old neighborhoods have fared.

From birth to 9 yrs of age I lived at 2139 West 22nd Place in Pilsen, and from 9-13 I lived in Brighton Park, at 4511 S. Spaulding Ave... if anyone has any information on how these neighborhoods are now (I was actually caught in a drive by once leaving my home at a stop sign in Brighton so I would guess that location isn't doing too well) I would LOVE to hear about it. Also, what are would be considered safer now? Brighton Park or Pilsen to live in? I'm contemplating moving back to the city and would love to be around people of my race (for food, groceries etc)
Quick summary: Pilsen is gentrifying and generally getting whiter. This has happened more so on the eastern half toward the university. The western half is still a little rough around the edges aesthetically speaking but the quality of life even on the Western half near your old address appears to generally be improving. So it's kind of the best of both worlds: it's getting safer, but working-class people can still afford to live there (for now.)

Brighton Park on the other hand is sliding down the tubes. It's not a horrible neighborhood yet but it's not too far from it and it will reach "horrible" long before it reaches "liveable" again. I don't see any upsides to putting down roots in Brighton Park right now.

If I had to choose between your two old addresses, I'd choose the "Pilsen" address every time, though I'd think the address you give is really more Heart of Chicago than Pilsen.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,926 times
Pretty much what Drover said.

Pilsen has been improving for about 10-15 years now while Brighton Park has been on a steady decline for the last 15 years, possibly longer. Seems like Brighton Park keeps popping up more frequently when it comes to crime. I remember when that was a pretty solid neighborhood when I was growing up in Bridgeport.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I agree that Brighton Park seems to be in decline, largely a function of the aging of previous residents and lack of employment.

Pilsen is over hyped as some shinning example of gentrification but it truly is not exactly brimming with new jobs, that said it is closer to UIC and the medical district which together with the easier access to both downtown and north side area seems to be a positive. The real question is what the future holds for Chicago population trends -- not at all clear that gentrification is inevitable, with lots of stalled out efforts in Humbolt Park and Logan Square to serve as warnings to those that assume Pilsen is "a sure thing"...

Depending on budget and long term plans there are probably better options in neighborhood that are even more convenient to stable employment and more upscale options, but there are a whole lot worse spots than Pilsen.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Thank you everyone for the information It's quite funny.. I was actually there this past weekend and Brighton Park seemed more clean and well kept than my old area in Pilsen... but I guess appearances are not everything. How is the gang violence in both these areas? I assume terrible in Brighton, but what about Pilsen? Any danger of getting caught in random drive-bys there?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM

Gang violence in Pilsen seems to be subsiding even in the non-gentrified portion of it; though again I would suggest the neighborhood you're actually inquiring about isn't Pilsen but Heart of Chicago. Regardless, gang violence looks to be subsiding there too. But you never know when it might flare up now and again -- I doubt the gangs have just packed up and moved on; it's probably more like one gang has managed to establish dominance in the neighborhood for the time being. If so, there will eventually be challenges to that dominance.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Gang violence in Pilsen seems to be subsiding even in the non-gentrified portion of it; though again I would suggest the neighborhood you're actually inquiring about isn't Pilsen but Heart of Chicago. Regardless, gang violence looks to be subsiding there too. But you never know when it might flare up now and again -- I doubt the gangs have just packed up and moved on; it's probably more like one gang has managed to establish dominance in the neighborhood for the time being. If so, there will eventually be challenges to that dominance.
I'm sorry.. I guess I'm so used to everyone calling it "Pilsen" all my life. Well then if it's a different neighborhood.. is it still getting better and safer as Pilsen is?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windynostalgia View Post
I'm sorry.. I guess I'm so used to everyone calling it "Pilsen" all my life. Well then if it's a different neighborhood.. is it still getting better and safer as Pilsen is?
More or less... yes.

It could be that neighborhood borders have shifted since you lived there, but nowadays I reckon many people who live west of Damen would take umbrage with being thought of as living in Pilsen.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
More or less... yes.

It could be that neighborhood borders have shifted since you lived there, but nowadays I reckon many people who live west of Damen would take umbrage with being thought of as living in Pilsen.
Interesting.. so is it that Heart of Chicago in a way is better than Pilsen? Or is it just the residents that believe so?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
not at all clear that gentrification is inevitable, with lots of stalled out efforts in Humbolt Park and Logan Square to serve as warnings to those that assume Pilsen is "a sure thing"...
Humbolt Park, yes, its fair to say gentrification has stalled.

Logan Square, no. Despite the economy, Logan Square continues to improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago