Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 AM

61 posts, read 225,495 times

Advertisements

How are these areas as far as:

Safety:
Rent:
Transportation to the City:
Stores/Rest/Things to do:

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 03:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Safety: Among the safest neighborhoods in the city, though Portage Park can get slightly ragged along its southern border (Belmont corridor).

Rent: Portage Park will be cheaper than Jefferson Park, which in turn will be quite a bit cheaper than the "fanfare" neighborhoods on the North Side such as Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Bucktown/Wicker Park, etc. Expect a decent-quality 1-bedroom to start at about $750/mo in Portage Park, and about $800/mo in Jefferson Park. Add about $125 to each for starting rent on a 2-bedroom. To get an idea of what your money will get you, check out Chicago Reader Spacefinder and use the filters to select the neighborhood, # of bedrooms, etc. Many ads will include pics.

Transportation To City: Jefferson Park is extremely convenient because it is the convergence point of a Metra train line (two stations), the CTA Blue Line (one station) and the Kennedy Expressway. This is why Jefferson Park is more expensive than Portage Park.

Portage Park is only convenient in the very northeast corner of it where there is access to the Jefferson Park Metra and CTA stations, the Metra Mayfair station and the Kennedy Expressway. The further west and south you go in Portage Park, the more you have to rely on unpredictable bus lines to connect you to train stations to get you downtown, or the more street-level traffic you have to endure to get to the expressway.

Stores/Rest/Things To Do: There are plenty of grocery stores and what-not in each area, so you'll never have to drive too far to do a grocery shop. There are also lots of mom-and-pop storefronts in each. As for things to do, well, these are not "nightlife" neighborhoods. They are bedroom neighborhoods with kids and families. Portage Park in particular has a major Polish contingent. And by "Polish" I don't mean "they are the 3rd-generation descendants of people who came here in the 20s and 30s." I mean "they just got off a plane from Warsaw last April." The bars in both areas are local hangouts (which in Portage Park means your English-speaking self may be considered something of an interloper unless you can converse in Polish) and the restaurants serve down-to-earth food. But the advantage to living in Jefferson Park is that you have access to lots of "hip" nightlife spots via the 24/7 Blue Line (direct access to Bucktown/Wicker Park) and the 24/7 Lawrence bus line (direct access to Lincoln Square, Uptown, Andersonville, indirect access to Lakeview/Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park via connecting 24/7 bus lines or the CTA Brown Line that runs pretty late into the night).

Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks again! Does anyone know of any Real Estate contacts I can use? (I am looking to rent)

Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
The Apartment People
The Homestead Group
Apartment Finders
North Clybourn Group

Portage Park and Jefferson Park may be a little far to the northwest for some of these agencies, but I know for a fact that The Apartment People and The Homestead Group will service that area if they can find landlords willing to list with them up there (not many are, but you can try anyway). You can also check out classified listings, some from mom-and-pop landlords, some from management companies, at Craigslist and The Chicago Reader classified listings, using appropriate filters. Chicago Reader tends to return more accurate results because it uses a neighborhood list drop-down, whereas Craigslist uses the keyword method, and slick management companies like to throw in neighborhood keywords so their apartments will show up in your results even if they're nowhere near the neighborhood you're filtering for. In those cases, it might be helpful to have a reference map of the neighborhood you're actually looking to live in, and then click the "map" link to see if the results actually lands in that neighborhood by cross-referencing to your "neighborhood reference map."

Old 09-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Once again Drover to the rescue!! Thanks again!!!! Well I just want a list because I will be there from Nov 1 - Nov 5. During that time I was to visit differnent agencies.

Thanks Drover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Apartment People
The Homestead Group
Apartment Finders
North Clybourn Group

Portage Park and Jefferson Park may be a little far to the northwest for some of these agencies, but I know for a fact that The Apartment People and The Homestead Group will service that area if they can find landlords willing to list with them up there (not many are, but you can try anyway). You can also check out classified listings, some from mom-and-pop landlords, some from management companies, at Craigslist and The Chicago Reader classified listings, using appropriate filters.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 25,633 times
Default Jefferson Park Question

Hi, I'm from New York (Long Island area) and have wanted to move to Chicago since a visit there when I was younger. I'm going to be graduating college, and am looking for a nice neighborhood to rent an apartment in.

I've done a little bit of research, and have some questions on the neighborhood of Jefferson Park.

1. Does this area have a city feel to it? One person I spoke to from around here said it has a Queens/Brooklyn feel to it, is this true? If anyone has visited those areas.

2. Is it semi-affordable for someone who's just graduated and will be paying back student loans and such?

3. Is public transportation good in this area?

4. How is the nightlife for someone who is younger?

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...tage-park.html

Post future questions about city neighborhoods in the Chicago sub-forum. You'll get better advice.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 25,633 times
OK, I will, thank you.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
There's pretty much no nightlife. If that's something your into, I'd look elsewhere. What's your budget?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 10,907 times
Default Jefferson Park

I've never been to New York so don't know their neighborhoods. Jeff Park has many apartment bldgs., bungalows and frame houses. Portage Park is right next to Jeff Park and they are almost identical. The rents are moderate and VERY many vacancies right now. Renters dream! I have a one bedroom with all seasons room, dining room, fake fireplace, nice size bath, new appliances and washer and dryer in bsmt. I pay only $875 AND I am about 1,000 feet from a public swimming pool with a huge park. There are a few cool bars around and plenty of shopping only minutes away. What more can I say except try logging on to some Chicago papers (not the sun-times) amd check out the want ads. Nadig News and the Press paper are local for those two areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago