Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago6636 View Post
I am a guy though.. any higher risk?
Depends if you owe them money for that little baggie you bought the other week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,912 times
really people there is a gang war in pilsen. where have you been for the pass 2 months. 2 dead on Laflin and Cermak and shooting everyweek.

Pull your head out of the sand.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
According this, there hasn't been a homicide in Pilsen since 2010. Further west is a different story.

Community Areas - Lower West Side - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
According this, there hasn't been a homicide in Pilsen since 2010. Further west is a different story.

Community Areas - Lower West Side - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com
To be fair, those two to the west in 2011 are within the area that many people consider to be part of Pilsen. Even counting those, though, that's only two homicides in the past year and a half for an area of 35,000 people. Most small towns would like to have a rate that low. By comparison, during that same time period there have been four homicides in the Near North area and six in Lake View.

Last edited by Plzeň; 05-28-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago6636 View Post
I am moving to Chicago this August for school but cannot afford dorms, so I am moving in with my friend in his place in Pilsen. I have heard good things and terrible things and I don't know who to believe, I am a little worried about gang violence. I am a white male(that may make me more of a target because of gentrification, but to be honest I am pro keeping the neighborhoods the way they are, culturally diverse) I really don't plan to be in the neighborhood that often, I work/go to school downtown, but I will check out the amazing little shops and local restaurants I hear about. My biggest worry is walking home for the train/bus to my apartment at night. I will live on W Cullerton and S wood near harrison park. Should I be worried? Any advice?

P.S. I looked on this thread before, but the only things I found about Pilsen were back in '08 and things may have changed for either better or worse.

Thanks
If I had several options as to where I might locate myself in Chicago, Pilsen wouldn't be on the list.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Pilsen has its pros and cons, but gang violence-wise it's no Little Village.

Maybe in 1990 it was insane, but if you aren't in a gang you'll likely be fine. That's a good rule of thumb for all the completely infested neighborhoods where gangs literally start recruiting kids as young as 9 or 10 on the street when school isn't in session.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
argh, meant to say:

"That's a good rule of thumb for all *but* the completely infested neighborhoods where gangs literally start recruiting kids as young as 9 or 10 on the street when school isn't in session."

As in those neighborhoods kids really are "pressed" into service, as it were. I don't think anyone is running around putting a gun barrel to the head of kids in Pilsen in broad daylight the way they do in other parts of the city.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 PM

145 posts, read 388,264 times
I drove thru the east end of Pilsen down Halsted today and was pleasantly surprised at how it looks today. My mom took us to Pilsen back in the early 90s and it was haggard. Today I saw people jogging, walking their children, all kinds of vibrancy. Pretty cool to see a neighborhood change like that.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:54 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
I drove thru the east end of Pilsen down Halsted today and was pleasantly surprised at how it looks today. My mom took us to Pilsen back in the early 90s and it was haggard. Today I saw people jogging, walking their children, all kinds of vibrancy. Pretty cool to see a neighborhood change like that.
Yes, but how many times were you shot?

I jest....

Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 14,741 times
Default Crossfire Worries

Well, this is an old post but I'd figure I'd add my two cents. I've been a resident of Pilsen for 6 years now. I am also a young, white male and former student. I also lived in Little Village for 2 years. I will say that Little Village is by far much worse. I was actually involved in an altercation near 24th and California, luckily I prevailed and he did not. Since then I decided to move further east to Pilsen. I live on Cullerton and Morgan now, which is fairly nice despite the gang presence. Unfortunately, the gang presence is convincing me to move elsewhere. I've heard gunshots on many many occasions right outside my house, discovered my place was broken into with the previous tenants, just yesterday saw a guy shoot another man in the arm in broad daylight in front of my house, and two nights before that someone burned a van to the ground that was parked outside of my house. While Pilsen may not have a high murder rate, there is a high rate of shootings and gang violence. I can vouch for that. And although I am not involved in gangs, and am not a target for gang violence I am starting to fear for my safety mainly because I do not want to catch a stray bullet. All this being said, Pilsen is a nice community but it depends on what corner you live on. If you see a lot of gang tags on the surrounding buildings you may want to stay away. Also, if you own a car I would suggest getting a garage. I've had my car broken into more than once and my last car was outright stolen, never to be seen again. Just beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago