Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's not uncommon on the south side for the residential streets to look well-maintained even if the neighborhood has pretty serious crime problems.
So true and ironic you said that. I have driven thru some neighborhoods that look very nice, but apparently there is crime. This was like around 165th St area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
It's not uncommon on the south side for the residential streets to look well-maintained even if the neighborhood has pretty serious crime problems.
This is not uncommon anywhere in the city. Conversely, it's also not uncommon for some lower crime neighborhoods to have appearances that are a little on the dirty/gritty side. Fortunately there are neighborhood crime statistics available from numerous sources online. That's the only way to find out what's really going on.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
I was in McKinley Park recently and we were going to get at the Ashland Orange line stop at night and a local told us not to because it is filled with crack dealers, by the way. She told us to walk back to the one just further west. Fortunately we finally got a cab.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
When you see groups of guys hanging around on street corners doing a whole lot of nothing, it doesn't matter how "gritty" or not the buildings look.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
So true and ironic you said that. I have driven thru some neighborhoods that look very nice, but apparently there is crime. This was like around 165th St area.
That had to be Cal City or South Holland that far south. I think the city stops at around 130th by altgeld gardens or so.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
You are right. 165th is definitely not the city limits. I mean jeez, that's south of 159th. Orland Square Mall is on 151st street. 159th is a major road in the south and southwest burbs. 167th is the last exit on I-57 before I-80. So yeah, you are very much in the burbs on 165th..

I'm very curious What neighorhood Chicagomeo was talkin about. Actually, think south of Cal City and Dolton. 165th runs through Country Club Hills.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I was in McKinley Park recently and we were going to get at the Ashland Orange line stop at night and a local told us not to because it is filled with crack dealers, by the way. She told us to walk back to the one just further west. Fortunately we finally got a cab.
I've never used that stop, but it's sort of wedged between the river and the tracks in a weird no-man's-land in-between Bridgeport and McKinley Park, so it doesn't surprise me even though I've not heard of any problems. The stop to the west of that (35th and Archer) is right in the middle of McKinley Park and totally fine (I've used it many times), so I can see why that one was recommended.

The Orange Line in general has some of the lowest crime of the whole el system (along with the Pink Line) according to a report that was posted here a few weeks ago.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I'm very curious What neighorhood Chicagomeo was talkin about. Actually, think south of Cal City and Dolton. 165th runs through Country Club Hills.
165th goes through Cal City. Lansing doesn't start 'til around around 170th.

My guess he was talking about Cal City or possibly even Hammond. Both have some decent-looking areas (well maintained houses and lawns) in the general vicinity of 165th. That's very near Munster, which is generally considered a nice suburb.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:05 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
As far as 'neighborhoods that have crime,' that pretty covers pretty much all of them within a 15 mile radius of the loop.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:30 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times
Quote:
That's very true. There's a lot of senior citizens who own bungalows, and either they or their children maintain it as meticulously as ever.

79th Street that far east hasn't been a good neighborhood for a long time. Your street-smart alarms should be going off, big time.

Back to the OP: How about Bridgeport, Canaryville, or some parts of McKinley Park? There are also a few old Polish neighborhoods around 47th/Pulaski and although they are surrounded by some bad areas, there are a few blocks around the Catholic parish that have maintained fairly well.

If you want to be more adventurous, look at Beverly but out at the edges of the community. You could help stabilize an area (not because you're white, but because you have an interest in being a good homeowner/neighbor.)

There would be more support for you, and more community resources and organizations, not to mention shopping and entertainment.

Hometown or Burbank would also be two inner-ring suburbs where you might find what you're looking for... a solid brick bungalow on a transitional-but-okay kind of block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago