Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 PM

83 posts, read 240,251 times

Advertisements

My rental basement unit Vinyl flooring has bubbles, blisters here and there. I'm facing the options of replacing the whole flooring with Ceramic tile or just replace the bubbles area with new Vinyl tile. Going with the latter will cost me less but the problem will come back in a few years. What do you guys think?

I got a quote for $2500 labor cost to remove 800sf of Vinyl tile and install Ceramic tile in my basement. It works out to be $3.13/sf. Is this a good price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 38,185 times
$3.13/SF to not only do removals but install the new ceramic tile is probably a steal. I work for a very successful marble and tile company and can tell you that there are a million different variables that go into that price. The type of tile you choose can go from dirt cheap to outrageously expensive, and therefore will change the cost immensely. If you've got a professional doing that work for you, the ceramic tile will last a very long time if he knows what he's doing. Why re-install vinyl tile if its going to be a continuous problem?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:01 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,792 times
I agree that it is a good price. If done properly, tile can last a long time. Make sure this person has done other jobs, and can give you references or show photos of their work.

I'm sure you aren't putting the expensive tile in a rental, so you can buy tile for about $1/sq foot.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Cheap ceramic tile is no bargain...

Honestly I would stick with vinyl. If you want an "upgrade"maybe seamless vinyl over the whole area. Ceramic tiles are prone to chipping / breakage and it is huge hassle to fix those without having massive regrout project.

If the tile you select needs a "mud base" the dificulty of changing it down the road is off the charts compared to vinyl. Even if the tile you select canbe adhered with mastic it is no fun trying to chisel up that kind of mess.

It is a rental. 90% of renters will probably appreciate the relative QUIET of vinyl compared to harsh sound of ceramic...

Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
I spent about $2,000 on labor, grout, adhesive, nails and backerboard to retile my tub surround (to the ceiling), which was about 90 square feet of wall tiling. I spent about $300 on a ceramic tile that looks more expensive than it is. I assume you're talking floors, though, which is a different ballgame.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM

263 posts, read 567,272 times
$2500 is on the high side for just labor in my opinion. I think $2,000 is more reasonable (yet still the on the high end of my range). $25 an hour is an acceptable hourly rate, I think you could even negotiate down to $20. It should take 2 men with 2 slam scrapers no more than one day to break all of the vinyl tile off the basement slab. Especially if it is bubbling up already.

2 men should also be able to do the install in no more than 2, 3 days tops.

2 men working 8 hour days:
16 X 4 = 64 hours
64 X 25 = $1,600

That is a 4 day total to complete the job. At $25 an hour, working at a good clip, that is a reasonable expectation. Get them down to $20 and hour and you can do the math.

I have not known ceramic to make a harsh sound, but for a basement rental I agree that vinyl is better. It is much easier and faster to install and should make it no more than a 3 day job. It is also cheaper. Unless the neighborhood (or your preference) warrants a higher-end finish, I would go with vinyl.

I have been a landlord/property manager for about 15 years. Me and and my brother broke up the existing vinyl in about the same size unit in a basement in roughly one day. It can be tough, backbreaking labor.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I spent about $2,000 on labor, grout, adhesive, nails and backerboard to retile my tub surround (to the ceiling), which was about 90 square feet of wall tiling. I spent about $300 on a ceramic tile that looks more expensive than it is. I assume you're talking floors, though, which is a different ballgame.
Holy cow, is that really the going rate?! Glad I'm handy because I just remodeled my same size shower with $5 a sq foot field tile, $25 a sq ft accent tiles, Durock, Aquadefense AND a brand new Kohler tub for $1300. I woulda only charged you $500 for labor.

The big cost saver is do as much demo yourself that you can. I removed 600 sq ft of ceramic off my concrete slab. Was a BEAR. Between rented demo hammer and concrete grinder it took me 3 days because it was down solid. This would have probably cost me about $900 to have it demoed. But then I did have a tile installer I know do the install because he's simply much faster than me and the area torn up was our main living area. He did it for $800. That was a great deal for the quality of work he did.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Tiling a bath is one thing, the OP is looking at putting ceramic in the whole basement unit...

I think ofcjim's project makes a lot of sense. For maybe $2k or so he gets a nice new tub and fully re-tiled bathroom. That is a super popular update and will really increase the appeal of his place without risking turning off too many people.

Wall-to-wall ceramic is a different story. It is hard on the feet, legs, back and shoulder. Makes it pretty much a necessity to have "gel mats" in the kitchen, laundry room and any spot where standing is required. Beds can roll /wobble. Sounds are made harsher.The inexpensive ceramic tiles are fragile too. Just overall not an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Holy cow, is that really the going rate?! Glad I'm handy because I just remodeled my same size shower with $5 a sq foot field tile, $25 a sq ft accent tiles, Durock, Aquadefense AND a brand new Kohler tub for $1300. I woulda only charged you $500 for labor.

The big cost saver is do as much demo yourself that you can. I removed 600 sq ft of ceramic off my concrete slab. Was a BEAR. Between rented demo hammer and concrete grinder it took me 3 days because it was down solid. This would have probably cost me about $900 to have it demoed. But then I did have a tile installer I know do the install because he's simply much faster than me and the area torn up was our main living area. He did it for $800. That was a great deal for the quality of work he did.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,571 times
Another important thing is to try to find why the old vinyl failed. Was it old or poor installation or excessive moisture in the slab, etc. Just make sure you supervise the results after the old is torn up before the new is put in. Make sure they don't leave old adhesive and try to reapply over it. If you decide on tile make sure a quality modified thinset is used. No premixed in a tub mastic. Also try to determine how flat your slab is. If its wavy obviously vinyl will conform to it better than tile. But the uneven can be corrected with a self leveling compound. But of course thus increases time and expense. I'm personally a fan of tile over vinyl. If properly installed tile should last a very long time, looks less cheap than vinyl and the space can easily be warmed up with area rugs if need be. But we really don't know much about the unit. If this is a $1200 a month rental and you're looking to attract upper middle class and above renters, def spend the money on nice tile. If this is a $600 a month property where you get short term renters and it would be considered an economical unit, then do vinyl. But this is just my opinion.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 AM

263 posts, read 567,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Another important thing is to try to find why the old vinyl failed. Was it old or poor installation or excessive moisture in the slab, etc. Just make sure you supervise the results after the old is torn up before the new is put in. Make sure they don't leave old adhesive and try to reapply over it. If you decide on tile make sure a quality modified thinset is used. No premixed in a tub mastic. Also try to determine how flat your slab is. If its wavy obviously vinyl will conform to it better than tile. But the uneven can be corrected with a self leveling compound. But of course thus increases time and expense. I'm personally a fan of tile over vinyl. If properly installed tile should last a very long time, looks less cheap than vinyl and the space can easily be warmed up with area rugs if need be. But we really don't know much about the unit. If this is a $1200 a month rental and you're looking to attract upper middle class and above renters, def spend the money on nice tile. If this is a $600 a month property where you get short term renters and it would be considered an economical unit, then do vinyl. But this is just my opinion.
That's exactly right and I forgot to mention that. You need to check for moisture issues because the existing flooring should not be 'bubbling up' as the OP said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago