Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times

Advertisements

yeaa, im in the middle on that, i like to be close to a major city, but like the American suburban lifestyle, that way i can go wild out in the city when i need to, but come back to peace and quiet so i can recover from that wildin', i dont need action ery day anymore
what u think bout other things i mentioned tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
List of companies in the Chicago metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The recent push is to get some companies back into the city and it's been working a little. Many BIG companies are HQ'd in Chicago and the area.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
yeaa, im in the middle on that, i like to be close to a major city, but like the American suburban lifestyle, that way i can go wild out in the city when i need to, but come back to peace and quiet so i can recover from that wildin', i dont need action ery day anymore
what u think bout other things i mentioned tho
The thing is that in Chicago apart from a few neighborhoods, you can have that, easily. There are extremely quiet areas within the city that still have things going on, but you don't even hear them outside of that area. I think if people were more aware of these areas outside of downtown who want peace and quiet, more people would move to those areas than a suburb who just want to rent.

Outside of downtown, Chicago is tree lined mostly which blocks out noise quite nicely for low rise buildings. For example, go to the Lakeview neighborhood. You can be on a street with a ton of bars and go 2 blocks away to a more residential area and not hear any of it from the street level. It's quite amazing.

I did this last time my Uncle from Queens was in town. I took him around an area called Division in the Gold Coast which has a lot of crappy loud bars. Right north of that are a bunch of mansions. I took him up there and he was pretty shocked that you couldn't hear **** only 1.5 blocks north of all the action in that area. My girlfriend lives in an area called Lakeview East. Right near there are tons of restaurants and bars on Broadway and Halsted streets. Her place is about 1.5 blocks from Broadway and honestly, you can't hear ****. During the day or night, doesn't even matter. Still very quiet.

Trust me on this. Go to an area like Lincoln Square or Ravenswood, Andersonville, Irving Park, part of Lakeview, Ukrainian Village, etc etc and you will feel like you're in a half suburban neighborhood, and then walk to a few streets and you have things going on (not too loud though). So if you want peace and quiet in Chicago, that's easy. If you want LAND, that's another story.

Last edited by marothisu; 10-13-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 AM

These are done by a poster on this forum (or an old one) by the way:

Downtown: Downtown. on Vimeo

Ravenswood: Ravenswood on Vimeo

The El: The EL on Vimeo

Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 AM

ill check out the vids
how does the outside of the city look like? i mean the landscape, is it like a giant corn field lol or is there greenery, some kinda woods or whateva else, jus wonderin

Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
ill check out the vids
how does the outside of the city look like? i mean the landscape, is it like a giant corn field lol or is there greenery, some kinda woods or whateva else, jus wonderin
lol outside of the city..yeah there's woods and stuff of course. The further you go out, the more land houses have for the most part. Outside of the entire metro area, like 40 miles West, yeah farmland, but it's not necessarily corn fields. There's a lot of greenery out there. Chicago area is relatively flat (which I hate). The further west you go, the hillier it gets outside of the area.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 AM

quality vids bruh
downtown looks beautiful

Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
quality vids bruh
downtown looks beautiful
Yep. It's beautiful, and clean...

Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As people get older, they retire out to warmer climates. I was just in Arizona for my grandmother's funeral and had to spend a ton of time at my grandfather's assisted living home. Not one single old person I met there was from even close to Arizona. I met a handful of people from Chicago and NYC. As a local told us, "old people move here to die." It's been happening for awhile. My grandparents moved to Arizona from NYC in the early 80s for god knows why just like tons of others.
Seriously, you don't know why older people want to move to warmer climates? As we get older, shoveling show becomes almost impossible. Our bones become more brittle so slipping on the ice when we go out to walk can be fatal.

I hate the climate in Houston and am only here because of my grandchhildren, but I can certainly understand why people my age prefer the south to Chicago and NYC. It's also cheaper and if you are retired on a fixed income that matters.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously, you don't know why older people want to move to warmer climates? As we get older, shoveling show becomes almost impossible. Our bones become more brittle so slipping on the ice when we go out to walk can be fatal.

I hate the climate in Houston and am only here because of my grandchhildren, but I can certainly understand why people my age prefer the south to Chicago and NYC. It's also cheaper and if you are retired on a fixed income that matters.
I'm aware of both of those things. There's a difference between warm and WARM. Just like Houston, Phoenix and Tucson (sometimes) is humid too. I understand retiring to parts of California, even Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, etc, but not most of Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, etc.

Yes the weather thing, but a suburb of Chicago can be just as cheap as somewhere like Houston if you're renting out. Not all of those places in Arizona and whatever are cheap either. Talk to my grandparents about that one. Getting "good" care in a good assisted living down there cost them $8000/month total between the two of them (until my grandmother passed away). The place is nice, but it's not AMAZING by any stretch of the imagination. That's not counting their private nursing care or medications. That was mostly separate.

On the other hand, my other grandmother lived inside a rehabbed mansion turned into assisted living until her death five years ago for $2000/month in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles).

Of course if you can live on your own, that's going to be cheaper. Also, about shoveling snow, depends on where you live. If you live in assisted living, or just a high rise, or whatever...you don't have to shovel anything because someone will do it for you

Last edited by marothisu; 10-13-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago