Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,445 times

Advertisements

Hi there

My young family are contemplating a move. My husband has a job opportunity in Griffith IN and I have an opportunity to work for a company that has an office in downtown Chicago. Looking at a map the "south" of chicago appears to be the best place to look for a home because it is somewhat in the middle of both of our jobs. My husband really does not mind a commute most jobs he has had have required 30min - 1hr commute. I guess I don't either I have just been lucky enough not to have a long commute for a while.
We have a 2 year old and a 9 month old. We are looking for family friendly neighborhoods, good schools, parks, libraries walk around areas, shops and the usual things a growing young family would appreciate. Everything I have read about the neighborhoods in the south is really concerning and I would appreciate knowing what neighborhoods we should consider. To be honest I am reconsidering the move because all i hear is doom and gloom!! Is there another area we should consider??
We are open minded people, we appreciate diversity but safety for our whole family trumps all of that, my husbands job will take him away quite a bit so it will be me and the kids some times alone.

Much appreciation in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
I'm certain you'll get plenty of great suggestions from those who know the area even better than I do, but I would start your search in Beverly -- a safe and very nice neighborhood of Chicago. Research would have to be done on the schools, but I think it's as close as you can get to halfway between the two jobs while being a place you'd want to live.

Here's a nice little write up of the area: Community Profile: Beverly, Chicago IL Real Estate - chicagotribune.com

Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
You should consider some of the NW Indiana towns that are near Chicago.

Post in the Indiana/NW Indiana forum for suggestion areas that meet your criteria. The commute to downtown Chicago from NW is not bad. There is a train (southshore). Amtrak used to run downtown twice a day each way but not sure if the Amtrak still stops at in NW Indiana(Hammond was one of the stocks, near the lake near the Chicago border).

I have seen folks make good comments about parts of Griffith IN and Highland IN and a few other areas.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Beverly is a good suggestion, but I would definitely include Hyde Park and even spots in the South Loop or Bridgeport -- being close to expressways and having a reverse commute ought to help with travel times.

Suburbs like Homewood or Flossmoor make a lot of sense for those with one job in Indiana and other in the Loop.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
I agree about Beverly and Hyde Park. The only problem is that the CTA doesn't go DIRECTLY to Hyde Park, but if you live near the lake, you can take the Metra to the Loop (Metra Electric Line).

The commute to Griffith from Beverly is going to be like 30-40 minutes in free traffic. Depends on how fast he drives really. The areas around Midway are good too for the most part. Places like Burbank and Bridgeview are not bad suburbs either. Bridgeview has a sizable Arab-American population as well.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree about Beverly and Hyde Park. The only problem is that the CTA doesn't go DIRECTLY to Hyde Park, but if you live near the lake, you can take the Metra to the Loop (Metra Electric Line).
Express buses. They're great.

The suggestions so far have been pretty good. Do you have an idea of what your budget is? Hyde Park and Beverly can be kind of pricey depending on what you're looking for. Are you renting or buying? If you're renting, the city neighborhoods will be much more attractive than if you're looking to buy. If the purchase prices are too high, take a look at some of the suburbs that have been mentioned here.

I'm no expert on the the towns in Indiana, but I'm not sure they're really what you're looking for. The South Shore train doesn't go through the nicer towns like Dyer and Munster. The Indiana towns in general have less in the way of amenities than Chicago neighborhoods or some of the inner ring Chicago suburbs.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Express buses. They're great.
Whoops, I meant the train, but you're right. Express buses can be just as good. I just find trains a lot more efficient

Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
I know the x28, #6 and #2 are decent express bus lines. The commute is crowded but 20 minutes to the Loop from Hydepark. The Metra doesn't run as often but once again 20 minutes to the Loop if you choose Hydepark.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM

145 posts, read 388,455 times
Munster would be a good place in my opinion. It's like 10 minutes from Griffith and located right off 80/94, which you could hop on to get downtown. If you'd rather be in Illinois, I'd say Flossmoor or even Lansing. My cousins live in Lansing, and it's really not a bad town (although it's been said to be in a state of changing for the worse)

Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,710 times
As others have mentioned and alluded to, it depends greatly on what your anticipated housing budget will be, and your preference for a more urban versus a more suburban setting. If you and your young family appreciate city living and can afford a place in the South Loop, Hyde Park, or Beverly, then by all means go for it. If you have a more modest budget, however, I would strongly recommend Bridgeport and/or McKinley Park (one of the least-known terrific neighborhoods in the city). Neither are glitzy or fancy, and both have more-or-less of an urban vibe, meaning that they're not as tidy and sterilized-feeling as the classic cul-de-sac suburbs. But they're fundamentally pleasant, safe, family-friendly areas with a fantastic location close to downtown Chicago, easily commutable to Northwest Indiana, and convenient to most amenities of most kinds throughout the city, including being in many cases walking-distance form U.S. Cellular Field. From what you've described of your situation, that's where I'd want to live if I were you, unless you can afford the South Loop or Hyde Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago