Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM

58 posts, read 147,247 times

Advertisements

Edgewater
Andersonville
Lakeview (also why is lakeview referred to as boystown?)

I'm a female, mid 20s, and like to go out occasionally. I'm into coffee shops, museums and restaurants. What's the best place for a transplant looking to meet new people, but have peace and quiet at the same time. Which neighborhood offers the most diversity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Lakeview is far and away the most attractive for its wide range of options. While it does have some establishments that cater to homosexual (especially men, thus the boystown moniker...) it also the greatest range of places of all backgrounds to meet. This is somewhat driven by the presence of the Cubs, with Wrigely Field being a giant hub of social interaction, but also becuase of the excellent transportation options, large range of housing options and general ease of navigation to employment...

Andersonville is smaller, more distant and generally a bit less "exciting" though there are fair range of places including some businesses run by / catering to lesbians.

Edgewater is also a bit further from the Loop but is well servied by transit and is near to the Loyola lakefront campus, which is on the southern edge off Rogers Park just as one crosses out of Edgewater... The range of businesses / entertainment is probably least well developed in Edgewater, but it is affordable and likely to improve.

Most of the well funded museums in Chicago are located in the Gold Coast, musuem campus or Hyde Park...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcnic View Post
Edgewater
Andersonville

I'm a female, mid 20s, and like to go out occasionally. I'm into coffee shops, museums and restaurants. What's the best place for a transplant looking to meet new people, but have peace and quiet at the same time. Which neighborhood offers the most diversity?
All those areas are fine. I'd say Edgewater and Andersonville are more laid back on average, but Lakeview is the 2nd largest (by population) neighborhood in Chicago. Andersonville is more of a quiet small area feel, but some good restaurants/coffee shops, antiques shops, art stuff, etc. Edgewater is closer to the lake, still fine depending on where you go (a few weird shady areas but nothing terrible).

Lakeview is large so it depends on where you are. You can either have really happening with bars all around you or more laid back (i.e. Lakeview East). Lakeview is not referred to as Boystown. Boystown is a small section of Lakeview which is where you will find gay shops/bars/clubs, etc.

What's your budget? Lincoln Square/Ravenswood is another good area. I'd say either that or Andersonville might be good for you based off that little description. No clue what budget you're looking at and there are other parts west or south which might be good

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM

110 posts, read 281,051 times
Although, Lakeview is the most commercialized place. I would really consider living Edgewater and especially Andersonville. It is very close to so many ethnic restaurants like in Argyle and Devon, so the diversity in terms of culture is really great. A part of Lakeview is refered to as the Boystown because it is the center of the LGBT scene in Chicago. There are lots of gay-friendly establishments around.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Might also look at Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park and Bucktown.

Those are kinda the more artsy transplant neighborhoods... although there is a ton of overlap.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM

58 posts, read 147,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
All those areas are fine. I'd say Edgewater and Andersonville are more laid back on average, but Lakeview is the 2nd largest (by population) neighborhood in Chicago. Andersonville is more of a quiet small area feel, but some good restaurants/coffee shops, antiques shops, art stuff, etc. Edgewater is closer to the lake, still fine depending on where you go (a few weird shady areas but nothing terrible).

Lakeview is large so it depends on where you are. You can either have really happening with bars all around you or more laid back (i.e. Lakeview East). Lakeview is not referred to as Boystown. Boystown is a small section of Lakeview which is where you will find gay shops/bars/clubs, etc.

What's your budget? Lincoln Square/Ravenswood is another good area. I'd say either that or Andersonville might be good for you based off that little description. No clue what budget you're looking at and there are other parts west or south which might be good
Budget would be around $1300, but that's pushing it. Thanks!!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Budget would be around $1300, but that's pushing it. Thanks!!
If that's just rent, then you could live in any neighborhood in the city. With utilities, you could still afford most places probably, especially the ones list.. With roommates especially, you can get rent in Lakeview, Andersonville, etc for under $800/month. If you want a 1 bedroom, all those will be under $1000/month rent.

Based on what you said though, I'd check out Ukrainian Village, Andersonville, Lincoln Square/Ravenswood, Logan Square..maybe parts of Bridgeport (south).. Depends on your personality really, but you could have your pick with most neigborhoods here.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM

240 posts, read 464,846 times
Might want to consider North Center as well. It's quieter than Lake View, but is a quick L ride or bus ride away. Also, very safe and probably a little more affordable in terms of rent.

But if you're looking to meet young people and go out in the evening, Lake View is probably the best neighborhood in the entire city for that.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I think Lakeview is a fine option. The other places mentioned are also worth looking into. Lake view is a large area and has several sub areas. Boystown generally refers to the area of north Halsted st from Belmont to Addison. You might look into Roscoe Village or Southport Corridor too.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
Quote:
Edgewater
Andersonville

Lakeview would be the better but is more expensive due to the "Cubs Premium" which is that the closer to Wrigley you live, the more it cost. Edgewater is pretty decent and cost less. Especially the area around Loyola. Both areas are somewhat noisy and basically run to an extent 24 hours a day. You might look into Evanston too. It offers what you want AND peace and quiet too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago