Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
That appears to be a train station in Connecticut. I believe he was talking about a neighborhood in Chicago.
haha I totally linked to the wrong article. Yes, it's "South of North Avenue" for Chicago. I've heard it used many times..

Near North Side, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
haha I totally linked to the wrong article. Yes, it's "South of North Avenue" for Chicago. I've heard it used many times..

Near North Side, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow. Yeah, that's just bizarre to call that little corner its own neighborhood, and an obnoxious name. Besides sounding like it's trying too hard, it's meaningless as a descriptor, since about 2/3 of the city is "South of North Avenue."

Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
There are at least 200 neighborhoods in Chicago, and many areas were named or renamed after 1985. Very few people know them all anymore, except maybe cabdrivers.

Neighborhoods in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Many of the cabdrivers I've had can't find the airport. I'd hate to see what they'd do if I asked them to take me to Greater Grand Crossing.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Then you can get into neighborhood names and official commuity areas,

Bucktown Or Logan Square?
Wicker Park/Ukie or West Town?
Roscoe Village or North Center?

Same - same
Not really. Bucktown south of Armitage is part of West Town, Bucktown north of Armitage is part of the large Logan Square community area (but pretty far from the neighborhood most people call Logan Square)

Roscoe Village (south of Addison, west of Damen) is part of Lakeview, not North Center

Wicker Park and UKV are both part of West Town.

Picky, picky, I know.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I think this has to do at least in part with the fact that the numbered streets on the south side make it easier for people to visualize one of the two directional coordinates without having to know the entire map by memory. You don't have that on the north side.
Well, I have had people tell me they live at "Devon and Cicero", or grew up at "Diversey and Harlem" or "Lincoln and Foster".

Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But is it worse than the cringe-iducing, NYC-wannabe-sounding "SoNo"?
And don't forget "SoFo" (the part of Andersonville south of Foster).

Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Roscoe Village (south of Addison, west of Damen) is part of Lakeview, not North Center
Are you sure about that? Every map I've ever seen shows the western boundary of Lakeview to be Ravenswood Avenue, and it's North Center west of that.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But is it worse than the cringe-iducing, NYC-wannabe-sounding "SoNo"?
Sweet Jesus. I hate it. Hate it. Can't we just let New York have their moronic abbreviations without trying to incorporate them into the rest of the country?

"SoHo? Really? So south of Houston street, right? Are you talking about Staten Island? Maybe Philadelphia? That is south of Houston Street."

SoNo? That's just so... no, no. It's not acceptable.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 29,363 times
I grew up on the South Side in the early sixties. If I meet someone and they ask me where I grew up; how I answer depends on who they are. If they are Catholic I might say St Leo's it was just east of St Sabina's. If they are Protestant or North siders , I would say 79th and Halsted. If they are new to the city I would just leave it at the South Side. The one thing I would never use is I grew up in Auburn Gresham.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslind View Post
The one thing I would never use is I grew up in Auburn Gresham.
I wonder if any Chicago non-transplants would ever use the terms "North Center" or "Roscoe Village".

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago