Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 PM

928 posts, read 1,717,246 times

Advertisements

Jman, please go take a nap. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,977,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
OK, Chicago is 3rd in public trans. So what? It still proves my point. NYC is mostly subway where it is underground and climate controlled compared to Chi. There are college campuses in Chicago also, so the college campus argument doesn't work. I never said other cities didn't have bad winters either, so you must have missed that the last 2 times I posted it! I feel like I am talking to a wall. I'm sure you grew up in other "colder" states. I never said that Chicago was the only city with cold winters. Much like Chinan, you are creating imaginary disagreements in your head.

The bottom line is Chicago winters have a bad reputation. You are disagreeing with it (2.7 million people at that), I am explaining it. There is a difference.

You lose, I win. Get over it.
Listen jman. I've lived in four ****ing states in the upper midwest in my life and I have a good grasp of how daily life differs in each state, including Illinois and the area of Chicago.

I've lived for years in each state, and know what the daily life is like. You can come on here and make blanket "You lose, I win. Get over it." statements you want, but nothing is going to change the *experiences* I've actually had. Key word is experiences. I've lived it.

Nobody is disagreeing with you that you walk more in Chicago, you wait outside for the bus longer in Chicago. The number of colleges in Chicago versus other areas makes absolutely zero difference. The differences comes in the fact that college campuses DO exist in all of these states in which students walk to class. I did not own a car and barely even used one in my college. I used to bus, but the bus only went so far. We had to walk to most of our classes quite a distance. No, it wasn't a small campus. There were 35,000 students enrolled at this school and it's a large campus. What, you think nobody walks to class in the winter at the University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin, University of Iowa, or Iowa State University (amongst others)? Get a clue. It's obvious you've never been on any of those campuses and have never experienced everyday life at any one of them.

If you don't understand what I'm about to say, then you simply lack the intelligence to even be in this conversation in the first place.

Walking from point A to point B is not the only reason to go outside. Only a fool would act as if people in states without much public transportation are inside 100% of the time because they drive and don't walk anywhere. There are other reasons to be outside.

I grew up in an area where below zero temps were common at night, or near below zero temps. Guess what? We were outside every day sledding, snowboarding, skiing, having snowball fights, playing snow football, etc. We even played basketball outside at friends' places once it hit the mid 20s outside I can't tell you how many hours I wasted outside in the winters in Minnesota just being in the snow doing fun things. Most people I grew up with were hunters. That means in the winter, they're outside for hours on the weekends hunting whatever. This is just a few of the things and reasons to be outside and it's not just "Oh **** I have to get to ****ing Walgreens."

The key here is being outside, not why you're outside. The reasons why people spend time outside in Chicago versus some other upper midwest states differs, but no matter what it is, people still are outside.

You can say all the **** you want, but I've actually lived it. I know what it's like to live and play in these states. No amount of banal sayings you bring up will change my opinion as someone who's actually lived through it, and I can tell you have not.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,218,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
We have the largest public trans in the country!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 AM

13 posts, read 20,344 times
Damn and I thought people talked about non-sense in San Diego!

Thread derailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago