Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I didn't say all of it. I said some of it, but on the whole the lifestyle itself is more like NYC. My entire mom's side is from NYC (including my mom), and before my dad was born in LA, everyone was from there too on that side (minus the Europeans/Middle Easterners). So when my mom, who grew up right outside of Manhattan, and my Uncle, who grew up in Queens, say that parts of Chicago remind them a lot of NYC, I listen. The first time both of them ever visited me in Chicago, that was their very first comment before anything else. "Your neighborhood reminds me of ___________ in New York." or "This reminds me of Brooklyn."

Not every part is like NYC, but there is a lot you will find that is pretty similar. The urbanism here coupled with the lifestyle is more like NYC at a slower pace. Chicago is not like LA, it's not like Houston, it's not like Phoenix, and it's only a little like Philadelphia. It's more dense here than most American cities, and obviously not as dense as Manhattan, but much of the north side and some of the south side has the same density as Brooklyn. Some places downtown have a similar density as some parts (not most) as Manhattan, especially in Streeterville, River North, and parts of the Gold Coast. It's more closely tied to a mix between NYC, DC, and Boston with the urbanism and a halfway point between NYC and LA in terms of pace.
Didn't say you said all of it. There are sections of many cities in the east/great lakes region that have areas akin to NY. Many areas of Philly are right out of NY and Philly folks are akin NYers; the Philly-NY connection kinda like Chicago-Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Didn't say you said all of it. There are sections of many cities in the east/great lakes region that have areas akin to NY. Many areas of Philly are right out of NY and Philly folks are akin NYers; the Philly-NY connection kinda like Chicago-Milwaukee.
Sure, but any city can be like any city. There's no quota. Chicago's *closest* kin in the US, IMO, is NYC and there are many that would agree with that. If we extend outside of the US though, Chicago is similar to Toronto, perhaps more similar to that than NYC.

However, IMO if Brooklyn was its own city again, I think Chicago would be like that but more vertical, with a little bit of Queens and Manhattan mixed in here and there.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
no city in america is as stressful as nyc

Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Or is it more laid back?
No, Chicago is not nearly as much of a ratrace as NYC and it's a lot friendlier in my experience. I love Chicago and of the big 3 in the US (NY, LA, Chi) Chicago is easily my favorite. It's a glorious city that offers all the urban stimulation one could ever want and need without being overly pretentious.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM

778 posts, read 998,905 times
Quote:
The only thing being shouted-out in North Philly is ''duck''. Many people commute to NYC from Philly and the upgraded high-speed Amtrak service is going to cut travel time to NYC to less than an hour. It's not condescending to call Philly the 6th borough; in fact, it's kind of promoted in Philly. Philly welcomes as many people as possible, especially New York workers.

Enough.

I lived in Central Jersey, and had plenty of reasons to be in Philly over the years.

It has a similar feel but its not the 6th borough. Philadelphians would castrate you for suggesting it, and not some transplant hipster *******s that cant make it in Williamsburg either, im talking real Philadelphians.

The amount that commute isnt very high, regardless. Its not large enough for a CSA.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
No, Chicago is not nearly as much of a ratrace as NYC and it's a lot friendlier in my experience. I love Chicago and of the big 3 in the US (NY, LA, Chi) Chicago is easily my favorite. It's a glorious city that offers all the urban stimulation one could ever want and need without being overly pretentious.

Couldnt be summed up any better.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Many cities can claim parts or sections of it have lifestyles similar to New York. Philly is the 6th borough, for example, offering a New York lifestyle.
No... Hoboken, NJ is the 6th borough. Or so I've heard.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:59 PM

Its actually Yonkers if there had to be one.

Its basically the part that is NYC, but isnt NYC but should be in NYC.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
ooo today on Check Please there is a fabulous Chicken and Waffle place that looks very excellent, in Bronzeville. its on 39th and King drive!! check it out.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I didn't say all of it. I said some of it, but on the whole the lifestyle itself is more like NYC. My entire mom's side is from NYC (including my mom), and before my dad was born in LA, everyone was from there too on that side (minus the Europeans/Middle Easterners). So when my mom, who grew up right outside of Manhattan, and my Uncle, who grew up in Queens, say that parts of Chicago remind them a lot of NYC, I listen. The first time both of them ever visited me in Chicago, that was their very first comment before anything else. "Your neighborhood reminds me of ___________ in New York." or "This reminds me of Brooklyn."

Not every part is like NYC, but there is a lot you will find that is pretty similar. The urbanism here coupled with the lifestyle is more like NYC at a slower pace. Chicago is not like LA, it's not like Houston, it's not like Phoenix, and it's only a little like Philadelphia. It's more dense here than most American cities, and obviously not as dense as Manhattan, but much of the north side and some of the south side has the same density as Brooklyn. Some places downtown have a similar density as some parts (not most) as Manhattan, especially in Streeterville, River North, and parts of the Gold Coast. It's more closely tied to a mix between NYC, DC, and Boston with the urbanism and a halfway point between NYC and LA in terms of pace.
While I agree with your overall premise, you are really underestimating how much more dense New York is than Chicago. There isn't a single neighborhood in Chicago that is near manhattan density, and no much of the north side does not have a density similar to Brooklyn, there is only one neighborhood in Chicago that matches the density of all of Brooklyn (37k/sq mi).
All that said Chicago is an awesome city and doesn't need to be compared to nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago