Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 PM

13 posts, read 12,688 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm graduating culinary school in Connecticut relatively soon, (September), and I was thinking of moving to the Windy City. I'm really in love with the food culture, the opportunities, and everything the city seemingly has to offer. I have about $130000 in the bank, and I'd like a safe neighbourhood, doesn't matter the nationalities around me. I really like improv, so I'd like to be within reasonable traveling distance to Second City, or something of the like. I'm single, traveling alone with some musical instruments and my knives. I like walking a lot, and exercising. I'm sorry if I'm ommitting anything, beside where I'll be working, as I don't know yet, I'm just sending out feelers to see if this is a place I'd like to be. Thank you for your help.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
I think the "place" you're in is good with the amount you have saved up. So much I have heard about some of the well known chefs here (like Grant Achatz and Curtis Duffy) moving here to either get paid $0 or really low to work under someone else famous.

For neighborhoods, you could probably stand for a few places. Do you want a 1 bedroom or a studio? While Second City is great, the cool thing about Chicago is there's a TON of theater (this is where things start before they go to NYC after all). There's some other Improv theaters here that are popular like iO and ComedySportz too.

The public transit here is probably 2nd to NYC in the country, so these places you can easily get to the train. If you want to frequent these things then you might want to live in an area like I don't know, North Center, or Lincoln Square, or Logan Square/Bucktown. Really depends on what you want in terms of the kind of environment around where you live.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Wait you have one hundred thirty thousand dollars in the bank? Or thirteen grand. Gotta clarify why you'd be moving... To try to buy into a going business?

Or work you way up from a job in a fancy resturant where you will not be paid well, will be routinely expected to put in far more hours than any sane person would, withstand grueling mental / verbal / emotional abuse and have a shot and ruining all your relationships while lining up a shot headlining a resturant with unpleasant finacial backers...

Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 AM

I meant $13,000, thank you for pointing that out. I work now in a kitchen environment with mental strain and such. I should be able to handle it. I forgot about iO and others, actually, that's a great point.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM

Oh, and studio apartment, sorry.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Ah $13,000..not as good as $130,000, but still it's something. Won't last you as long unfortunately.

I'd imagine you want to stay closer to the range of say under $700/month for a place? I mean realistically if you were to pay $750/month for rent+utilities, another $70/month for a cell phone, and another $150/month for food, and $70/month for public transit, then you could last here basically a year if nothing happened where you had to spend a bunch of money.

If you don't mind living with other people, then there's that route too (you could probably room with a person or two in an area like Logan Square and maybe find something under $500/month that way). Might have to supplement your income by working somewhere on the side, but yeah. I mean it's doable but you might not have as much time as you think if you can't find a job. If you have graduated from a reputable culinary school though, I'd think someone would take you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: