Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times

Advertisements

I, white, been called ugly names by some black thugs on the number 6. I suppose their hateful behavior and attitudes could be perceived as racist; certainly prejudicial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The efforts of some to attack individuals and create a kind of polarization / name calling aimed toward anyone they disagree with is the hallmark of those without the skills to debate topics on intellectual merits.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The efforts of some to attack individuals and create a kind of polarization / name calling aimed toward anyone they disagree with is the hallmark of those without the skills to debate topics on intellectual merits.
I consider you a blind squirrel.

Sometimes you find a nut. And when you find that nut, it is huge, and very glorious.

This time, I think you found a nut colored rock with this post.

If you expand your thoughts, I would be more apt to give points, or reply.

Care to elaborate some more??

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
The city requires that construction jobs in the cities have certain quotas of minorities (non-whites) on their jobs and that certain jobs are only allowed to be bid on by black or minority owned contractors. The same goes for hiring for city positions such as fire fighters. They are required to turn down more qualified white people for less qualified minorities because of quotas.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
The city requires that construction jobs in the cities have certain quotas of minorities (non-whites) on their jobs and that certain jobs are only allowed to be bid on by black or minority owned contractors. The same goes for hiring for city positions such as fire fighters. They are required to turn down more qualified white people for less qualified minorities because of quotas.
You do realize that its often the case that white guys (like the Duffs) set up these companies?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Six years ago I was the Director of Technology at a large ad agency, and HR screened all of the incoming resumes for me (we'd get hundreds of resumes when we posted anything on Craigslist). None of the applicants for a Sys Admin position looked good, so I asked to see what had been weeded out by HR. I got a pile of resumes with names like Duwan, Tyrell, Rashawn, etc. Some of these guys were qualified (most weren't) and had been held back by a junior staffer in HR. I think it was all personal on her part, and the head of HR addressed the issue as soon as I brought it to her attention.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I don't understand why we need to keep going over the same topics. If you want to know about racial experiences in Chicago there has been much written about it on CD and the internet.

I don't enjoy writing about the subject just like most don't like reading about it. It's a very ugly side to the culture of this city.

Just Google racism in Chicago, Wrigleyville, Lakeview and Boystown and you will have enough information and a very good snap shot of how racist this city can be towards black residents.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

Just Google racism in Chicago, Wrigleyville, Lakeview and Boystown and you will have enough information and a very good snap shot of how racist this city can be towards black residents.
What I've read on the issue (as it is a possible relocation place for me) is that Boystown isn't just known for being racially discriminatory. It is also known for discriminating against transgenders, lesbians, women, and overweight guys. It looks like there is a segment of the gay scene there that is in shape upper-middle class white gays who only want to be around other in shape upper-middle class white gays, which to me seems utterly ridiculous and hypocritical. But as a gay guy myself, some of the most prejudiced, catty, judgmental people I've met have actually been other gay guys so that doesn't really surprise me. Seriously I'm talking like in a Regina George-catty kind of way.

Last edited by Bluefox; 04-01-2013 at 06:04 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Well you have to be fair there mjt. What I've read on the issue (as it is a possible relocation place for me) is that Boystown isn't just known for being racially discriminatory. It is also known for discriminating against transgenders, lesbians, women, and overweight guys. It looks like there is a segment of the gay scene there that is in shape upper-middle class white gays who only want to be around other in shape upper-middle class white gays, which to me seems utterly ridiculous and hypocritical. But as a gay guy myself, some of the most prejudiced, catty, judgmental people I've met have actually been other gay guys so that doesn't really surprise me. Seriously I'm talking like in a Regina George-catty kind of way.
Hey blue,

I was addressing the the issue of race to the OP. The subject gets very old and it becomes a pissing contest. I give an experience some one rebukes it and says that it isn't racist and it is a waste of time.

To answer answer your question about relocating as a gay person. Chicago is a wonderful city lots to do a very vibrant city.

Everything you've read about gay Chicago is true with the Boystown scene. I've been here for 5 years and for the first time in my life I don't have any White friends within the gay community. It is so sad! We want the world to open the doors and accept us but we can't accept friendships from asians blacks transgendered lesbians and other people going through the same struggle. It is about as backwards as it can get.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
I have witnessed racism in chicago, a man came up to me and asked for directions to the nearest restaurant-_-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago