Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times

Advertisements

Hahah, this is actually an interesting comment. I think the Sox would benefit moreso from a suburban locale than the Cubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Too far, too $$. Too bad they didn't move to Addison, it would have only left the too $$ excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Even Cubs fans have their limits. While they still out-draw the Sox, attendance has fallen the last few seasons when the Ricketts at first actually raised prices while fielding a "rebuilding phase" team. 2012 was the first sub-3M-attendance season in a decade. They seem to have got the message and this season you can actually get fairly cheap tickets (by Cubs standards anyway) for non-premium dates.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Consider this site:

2012 Major League Baseball Attendance & Miscellaneous - Baseball-Reference.com

The White Sox win more games annually than the Cubs, but the Cubs still sell out...

And the White Sox can't fill their stands (with today being the third day of regular season play... And I'm watching it on TV).

What gives?

If I had to guess, the "fake fans" of the Cubs are more loyal to the Cubs.

And the "true fans" of the White Sox don't bother with going out to the ball park until they're in the playoffs.

Is that right? Or close to right?
I go to some games

Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I'm sure that this recession is also having some effect on ticket purchases. Those who may have bought season tickets in earlier years, now might only consider buying tickets for 8-10 games. Of course, the quality of the team may affect ticket sales, too...

The White Sox may be burdened with history, or a lack of it. In my mind, only two editions really stand out: the 1959 AL pennant-winning Go-Go Sox, and the 2005 World series champions; otherwise, I'm really drawing a blank. They also haven't had the historical stars that other teams have had ( Cubs had Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, Sandberg, Fergie Jenkins, etc)...

I just checked: Minnie Minoso is still alive!

Another thing: Maybe the White Sox need another Bill Veeck..

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM

240 posts, read 464,891 times
I think it's really simple as two things:

1) Neighborhood. Lake View could a relatively shady neighborhood in the 70s and 80s, back when the Sox used to regularly outdraw them. Now, Lake View is the epicenter of young professionals in Chicago. Young Cubs fans with any affluence can live within walking distance of Wrigley Field. The bars and restaurants on gameday make seeing the Cubs an all-day experience. Also, Lake View has money and density (as well as nearby neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park and Old Town). You have a demographic that doesn't mind spending the money.

The Sox play in the middle of a parking lot. They play in a "ghetto" area where you might get shot (totally based on perception...Armour Square -note: NOT Bridgeport - where the stadium is actually has lower per capita crime than Lake View). Lake View has lakefront highrises, Armour Square and Bridgeport have modest bungalows.

2) Tourism. Wrigley Field and Fenway Park are the remaining "classic" ballparks. People come from all over to the country to see the stadium, not the team. When you're on vacation, you'll open up the checkbook. This helps fill up Wrigley with non-Chicago baseball fans.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Before Lakeview gentrified the Sox and Cbs drew about the same. Google Lee Elia.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
Nevermind here he is:

Lee Elia Tirade - Chicago Cubs - 4/29/83 - YouTube

Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
It's cold and miserable out. No one enjoys meaningless April ball in the cold.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even Cubs fans have their limits. While they still out-draw the Sox, attendance has fallen the last few seasons when the Ricketts at first actually raised prices while fielding a "rebuilding phase" team. 2012 was the first sub-3M-attendance season in a decade. They seem to have got the message and this season you can actually get fairly cheap tickets (by Cubs standards anyway) for non-premium dates.
I may be mistaken, but I thought baseball attendance league wide was down last year.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
The White Sox win more games annually than the Cubs, but the Cubs still sell out...And the White Sox can't fill their stands

What gives?
#1) Have you ever walked around Clark and Addison?

#2) Have you ever walked around 35th and Shields?

The neighborhoods tell the story. Lakeview near Wrigley is a vibrant happenin neighborhood with tons of bars restaurants music venues shops, it is itself a destination to visit.

OTOH Bridgeport especially near the ball park, has zero to do - no place to go, visit, walk around, its all parking lot miles in all directions, or residential homes, nothing to draw people to visit.

That's why Wrigley draws crowds and the cell doesnt.

Quote:
If I had to guess, the "fake fans" of the Cubs are more loyal to the Cubs.

And the "true fans" of the White Sox don't bother with going out to the ball park until they're in the playoffs.

Is that right? Or close to right?
No wrong. Wrigley has been called the worlds biggest beer garden. Half the guys there are looking at the girls and getting trashed on beer. At the Cell people pay attention to every pitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago