Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Hello sarcastic douche bag... Your comment does not answer my question regarding alternative efficient routes and the modes of transportation that would be best to use between an airport and a central business district. Next time you want to be an a$$hole, i suggest you apply to Dick's Last Resort. You will find satisfaction at the expense of insulting the intelligence of others. You're welcome.
And you're kind of a big baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Everyone keeps saying blue line, I guess no one knows that it's a Metra O'Hare stop(North Central Service) that goes to Union Station
Very infrequent service and doesn't run on weekends.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:10 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
True, but carrying baggage on CTA Blue Line is such as hassle...Metra has plenty of room and a luggage rack if you sit on the top. Also, I think the earliest from Union station to O'hare train is around 7 something..
Let me get this straight:

The OP can:
1) Walk from their terminal to the Blue Line station, with elevators and escalators the whole way
2) Wait a few minutes (probably less than 5, definitely less than 10)
3) Pull luggage onto platform-level train and ride to the Loop in 45 minutes, arriving in the center of the Loop

Or, per your suggestion:

The OP can:
1) Go to the Airport Transit System people-mover train.
2) Wait a few minutes (5-10)
3) Ride the ATS to the end of its line, about 7 minutes
4) Get off the ATS, wait for a shuttle to the Metra station
5) Get off the shuttle and wait for the Metra train (possibly a very long time)
6) Haul luggage up the stairs of the much-higher-than-grade Metra train
7) Ride 27 minutes to Union Station, arriving at the edge of the Loop

And you wonder why nobody suggests Metra? Seriously?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Or, per your suggestion:

The OP can:

Wow, it sounds like you may have actually tried this once! Once would be enough.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 PM

300 posts, read 639,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Let me get this straight:

The OP can:
1) Walk from their terminal to the Blue Line station, with elevators and escalators the whole way
2) Wait a few minutes (probably less than 5, definitely less than 10)
3) Pull luggage onto platform-level train and ride to the Loop in 45 minutes, arriving in the center of the Loop

Or, per your suggestion:

The OP can:

You make it seem like CTA trains have plenty of space, I cant count the number of times my feet have been rolled over by luggage on the Blue Line. It's so many connections(bus & the L) out of Union Station, not to mention simple calling a cab. I've always took Metra to O'hare, more space for luggage and a overall better ride. This doesnt apply to the OP, but from Union Station you can go basically anywhere in Chicagoland, from New Lenox all the way up to Antioch.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Well you're talking about someone who simply couldn't figure out the best possible route from downtown to O'Hare. So... yeah...

Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I loved his suggestion regarding Dick's Last Resort.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Well you're talking about someone who simply couldn't figure out the best possible route from downtown to O'Hare. So... yeah...
Ah Google isn't based on experince. It will give directions that work, but may not be the best way to do things. Only a local would know the Blue line is faster than driving in rush but otherwise not.

A good example of it was a thread a few years ago where the person landed at midway and needed to get to the northwest burbs. Since he choose the cheapest method Google told him take the Orange line to the Blue line and tranfer from the Blue line at Jefferson Park to the Metra and mind you for a late night flight! Unless you were very broke or you really wanted to risk missing your Metra train by a blue line delay and stand in an outside station exposed to the elements and probably with no where to sit and with no nearby hotels should you miss the last Metra you wouldn't do this. You would instead transfer to the Metra downtown instead of Jefferson Park.

More recently a person I know got directions that had them taking 4 transfers and walking three blocks because they choose to arrive at a time before another bus would have taken them directly to the front door and with fewer transfers! That bus route had not started yet but if that person had simply chossen to arrive 10 mins later a MUCH better route and it was possible to do so because she was attempting to arrive at least 30 mins. early. It would have been a reasonable trade for that day(i.e. risk being a little late or have 20 mins to spare instead of 30).

Last edited by chirack; 05-17-2013 at 12:21 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
You make it seem like CTA trains have plenty of space, I cant count the number of times my feet have been rolled over by luggage on the Blue Line. It's so many connections(bus & the L) out of Union Station, not to mention simple calling a cab. I've always took Metra to O'hare, more space for luggage and a overall better ride. This doesnt apply to the OP, but from Union Station you can go basically anywhere in Chicagoland, from New Lenox all the way up to Antioch.
You live in the south burbs. Depending on which burb you are talking about you could take the Heritage Corridor or Southwest Corridor or even Amtrack from Homewood, Summit, or Hammond directly to Union and from there take the train to O'hare. Starting conditions are everything.

However the OP isn't attempting to get to or from the burbs and not all Metra lines terminate at union. The Blue line connects with other El lines and takes you right to Union Station so you could use the same buses. In fact becuase it goes through downtown it could take you closer to your final desitnation.

Last edited by chirack; 05-17-2013 at 12:25 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
The people who live in Chicago and transit regularly are very good guides that have a lot of personal knowledge of bus and train schedules. If I flew into Chicago with 5 pieces of luggage I would do two things. [1]Take a cab to the hotel. [2] Take a cab from the hotel for the 5AM check in at the airport. You can enjoy the rest of your trip. If you have time you can catch the Water Taxi to Chinatown. It's interesting and the food's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago