Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 AM

58 posts, read 126,023 times

Advertisements

Looking on Redfin at new SFH construction builds in the city of Chicago in the 350-550k range there really isn't a whole lot going on.

However I do see a bunch of SFH in that range being built not too far from Sox Park a couple of blocks north of Pershing

I see a lot clustered around Donovan Park which is a block or two away from 37th and Halsted

Being a northsider who became a south looper who is now looking at SFH would anyone have any experience with either using the home builder Lexington Homes or Morgan Street Development?

Or the area, I'm not intimately familiar with 37th street and Halsted. With all of these homes going up the neighborhood has to be changing to some extent anyway

It looks like you can have a decent sized new construction SFH built for around $500,000 once said and done. But I am just not reading much about either of these companies and the quality of their build (Lexington Homes more than Morgan Street)

Very little in the way of online reviews by people that have actually worked with these companies

Thanks for the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
I was looking at new building permits yesterday and noticed a few for Bridgeport granted within the last month to build two 12 unit apartment buildings on W 37th street too. I'm not that familiar with Bridgeport, but my friend grew up there. It is changing for sure it seems. A lot of Asians are moving in too. It kind of seems like the thing. Instead of going to the burbs once they have more money, some seem to be sticking close to Chinatown which is great.

EDIT: Nevermind that may be considered Bronzeville or something. Close to Bridgeport though. Actually the other day too there was a $20 million 150 unit apartment building for mixed income/seniors approved for the Stateway Gardens redevelopment.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Interesting

Regarding bridgeport - - I'm not interested in townhomes (at least there) but they are building them on Sangamon street and 36th and 37th

A lot of them. Some have had move ins already

Either Morgan street development or Lexington Homes are the builders

So there is a bunch of townhomes there and at least 15 SFH (maybe more?) presently being built right in a 3 block radius or so

The concern I have with moving to a place like Bridgeport is it being really provincial and not open to outsiders

I feel like the concern is somewhat mitigated by so much new construction going in. Granted they may be bought by all Bridgeport people but there has to be a few fellow south loopers looking into SFH there

Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Josh View Post
The concern I have with moving to a place like Bridgeport is it being really provincial and not open to outsiders
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's changing, or so I've heard. Bridgeport is 35% Asian demographic now and there are some big artists lofts near the river. It used to be much more white and racist to my knowledge. I know that my friend's family (his dad is apparently fairly racist) moved out of the neighborhood with some others maybe 5-10 years ago.

I asked him when exactly more Chinese started buying up land and moving to Bridgeport and he joked "When my dad moved to the suburbs and they deemed Bridgeport safe."

Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,396,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Josh View Post
Interesting

Regarding bridgeport - - I'm not interested in townhomes (at least there) but they are building them on Sangamon street and 36th and 37th

A lot of them. Some have had move ins already

Either Morgan street development or Lexington Homes are the builders

So there is a bunch of townhomes there and at least 15 SFH (maybe more?) presently being built right in a 3 block radius or so

I feel like the concern is somewhat mitigated by so much new construction going in. Granted they may be bought by all Bridgeport people but there has to be a few fellow south loopers looking into SFH there
My family has been in Bridgeport since the 1930's, it is a fine neighborhood that often times gets a bad image. I own a few rentals there, and have not had any problems (other than some graffiti); general rule of thumb, stay east of Halsted.

In terms of welcoming outsiders, its fine, no better nor worse than pretty much any other area. I personally would not have a problem living in Bridgeport.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,229,160 times
I grew up in Bridgeport and my parents and brother still live there. My brother and his wife own a townhouse built by Lexington and they are generally happy. I think their only complaint is the general lack of storage space.

A few antecdotal items about Bridgeport.
1. It has been changing for a while. There have been sizeable Chinese and Mexican populations since the early 80's.
2. From a few people I know who went to CAPS meetings last year, crime was actually up 50% at one point over the previous year. There were more murders there last year than the prior 5 combined or something like that.
3. Generally staying east of Halsted is a good rule but the area around Donovan Park is nice. That area is west of Halsted, easy of Morgan between 35th and 39th.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,587,368 times
Quite a few empty stores along Halsted. I just left Jacolope on 32; excellent shop.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I grew up in Bridgeport and my parents and brother still live there. My brother and his wife own a townhouse built by Lexington and they are generally happy. I think their only complaint is the general lack of storage space.

A few antecdotal items about Bridgeport.
1. It has been changing for a while. There have been sizeable Chinese and Mexican populations since the early 80's.
2. From a few people I know who went to CAPS meetings last year, crime was actually up 50% at one point over the previous year. There were more murders there last year than the prior 5 combined or something like that.
3. Generally staying east of Halsted is a good rule but the area around Donovan Park is nice. That area is west of Halsted, easy of Morgan between 35th and 39th.
Thanks for the Lexington information. Someone knows somebody who has bought from one of these builders!

Has your brother complained of gangs or any of that type of bs/safety issues around Donovan Park there?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Quite a few empty stores along Halsted. I just left Jacolope on 32; excellent shop.

Do you live near this shop (edit - I see its a coffee shop) or do people actually travel into Bridgeport to shop

How is the "scene" there.

While admittedly not having the broadest social circle I just never meet or run into many people who have lived in that area.

Whether co-workers or friends or otherwise

Last edited by Chicago_Josh; 05-21-2013 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,587,368 times
I live in Lincoln Park but often travel throughout the city's neighborhoods to different coffee shops. Generally my roommate and I go to a specific, independent coffee shop, then walk all over the neighborhood, get a feel for the community, the architecture, the number of vacancies/occupied storefronts (are there dollar stores? cheap furniture stores? mom and pop stuff? high end stuff?), the kind of people who live there, that kind of thing. It really lets us see the city more than we would otherwise, especially since neither of us have cars and there has to be a reason to check out a distant neighborhood. A coffee shop is great motivation.

Today was Bridgeport day, our second time there. Last time we went to Bridgeport Coffee Company on 31st (excellent place) and, after walking along Halsted, had noticed this place. And so we came back today, enjoyed a couple large iced coffees for $2.60, plus refills for $1, then also walked all over Halsted, near Donovan Park, 35th, the street directly parallel/east of Halsted that goes to Archer, and some other spots. Also, that one hot dog place on 35th that's been around for 25 years, a few blocks before the stadium, south side of the street, gives some enormous sized ice cream helpings for $2. It had to be a foot of ice cream. Good stuff.

My impression of the Bridgeport scene, and echoing some of what the proprietor of the record shop on Halsted said, is that it has a growing Asian community, ghetto gangs on both sides of Halsted (but so far they treat Halsted as neutral ground), and a mix of old school Irish/Italians, those who have lived there for generations, and new, upcoming 20 something hipsters and starter home, family types. I wouldn't go there beyond the two coffee shops due to the location unless I had a ride, date, or maybe maybe maybe check out a restaurant, but it was still a pleasure walking around, seeing the bungalows and different kinds of old school homes, taking a picture of the Donovan sign (my roommate's last name), walking by Sox stadium (I'm a diehard Indians and casual Cubs fan), and experiencing an overall quiet, somewhat struggling (though we did see some relatively new townhomes and apartments) old school neighborhood that's identity is in complete flux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago