Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Also it's been proposed to extend the Red Line over 5 miles south to 130th street...
It's been proposed for the CTA to do a lot of things over the past several years, but so many of them are "pie in the sky":
  • Dedicated high-speed trains to O'Hare.
  • "Super Station" connecting Washington Red Line to said O'Hare trains under Block 37 (already partially constructed).
  • Circle line trains allowing cross-town connections between existing lines.
I'd love to see these improvements, but I think the Red Line extension seems like the most likely to move forward for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,982,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's been proposed for the CTA to do a lot of things over the past several years, but so many of them are "pie in the sky":
  • Dedicated high-speed trains to O'Hare.
  • "Super Station" connecting Washington Red Line to said O'Hare trains under Block 37 (already partially constructed).
I'd love to see these improvements, but I think the Red Line extension seems like the most likely to move forward for now.
Blue Island residents could find it very useful.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
Even one such line would work miracles. The Bus Rapid Transit proposal connecting train lines on Ashland may be the next best thing.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:38 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Blue Island residents could find it very useful.
Perhaps, and this is going to probably be an unpopular statement, but is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make traveling into the loop, for mostly low income households, slightly more convenient, really that important?

There are so many other under served (rapid transit wise) parts of the city that would actually have a great impact to the city as a whole, if those dollars were allocatedthere.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,991,583 times
So they can get to their jobs in the Loop? YEAH, I think that's important!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Perhaps, and this is going to probably be an unpopular statement, but is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make traveling into the loop, for mostly low income households, slightly more convenient, really that important?

There are so many other under served (rapid transit wise) parts of the city that would actually have a great impact to the city as a whole, if those dollars were allocatedthere.
I still think the Gray line idea is a better, more cost-efficient way to improve transit to the far south side than spending billions on Red line extension. (Proposed Route Map: Metra Electric and New CTA Gray Line)

For those who don't know, the Gray line idea was/is proposed by a random dude (unemployed typewriter repairman, seriously! ) named Mike Payne. It proposes "rebadging" the Metra Electric South Chicago and Blue Island branches as CTA lines, accepting CTA fares, and running with increasing frequencies. No additional capital expenses are required, just operational expenses. As Metra has no incentive to improve service within the city limits, this plan has gone nowhere.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
I think the city needs two north to south subways running the entire length of the city; one under Western and one under Cicero. Or EL lines running alongside those streets.

And the Kenwood line should be reopened and the Jackson Park extended through South Shore and down to the East Side, maybe even to the Ford Plant.

It would be a good idea to extend the Congress line back out to Westchester, I think that would benefit Chicago as well as the burbs. Same with extending the Douglas Park out to Harlem.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
So they can get to their jobs in the Loop? YEAH, I think that's important!
And they can't get there today?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
How about "light rail" running near or in the median of Lake Shore Drive to take the place of all of those express buses? The lakefront has very high density most the way north to Rogers Park, but it can be far from the "L" at certain locations.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
How about "light rail" running near or in the median of Lake Shore Drive to take the place of all of those express buses? The lakefront has very high density most the way north to Rogers Park, but it can be far from the "L" at certain locations.
Seems like a huge expenditure for not much return. BRT could also accomplish the same improvement at a much lower cost.

While a Circle line would be great I think they need to focus on some basic service improvements first. They've got a lot of basic maintenance to perform, along with track and signal upgrades (a lot of which they've been working on). The new trains should help them take advantage of the track and signal upgrades and hopefully alleviate some of the crowding that happens at rush hour on many lines. I've always thought that extending the Brown Line to meet the Blue Line would make a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago