Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times

Advertisements

I'm confused marothisu. According to the list above, is that saying that Lincoln and Edison Park are more diverse than
Albany Park? Just asking...in which way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:15 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I'm confused marothisu. According to the list above, is that saying that Lincoln and Edison Park are more diverse than
Albany Park? Just asking...in which way?
No, you read it backwards. Read it again. 1 = highest percentage in one group, 77 = lower percentage in one group. The higher the number, probably the better with diversity.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:16 PM

35 posts, read 32,532 times
All good input, thanks! For reference, my daughter lives on Lawrence near the Aragon. Some people seem to think it's a sketchy area but it's fine to me.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 PM

35 posts, read 32,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Interesting. I tend to mostly see Swedish lesbians who look like Justin Bieber.

(I keed. Sort of.)
I just choked on my cabernet, laughing.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Because it's good to be exposed to different ideas, people, and viewpoints than your own? I mean not everybody subscribes to that, but I personally do and it makes me understand and enjoy life more.
Well, it's a city of several MILLION people so you're going to get diversity no matter where you live, whether you want it or not. It's not like you're moving to some little lake town in northern WI.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Yes, we know all about Lakeview East, your personal Mecca, from the other 13,000 threads in which you've talked about it. I view it differently than you do, and even if I didn't it wouldn't alter what I said about Lakeview as a whole.
If you think that LV is less diverse than Lincoln Park or the Gold Coast you are just quite simply wrong, and marothisu is still right.

Go spend 30 minutes during rush hour at the corner of Belmont & Sheffield and watch who is getting off the train.

Or ask yourself how the neighborhood which embraced the gay community long before that was socially popular could possibly not be considered diverse.

People have a funny way of imposing their own personal experiences on huge areas of the City, IMO. Lake View proper has well over 90,000 residents. While there are no doubt a good chunk of Chads and Trixies now, just by sheer volume there are loads and loads of other groups just under the surface. A long-standing Japanese community, for instance.

Ask yourself: how many of those 90,000+ have you met personally?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
A lot of people equate diversity with ghetto types, mentally ill, section 8'rs and other criminal elements. It's like if you don't have a lot of those types, then the community can't possibly be considered diverse.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
A lot of people equate diversity with ghetto types, mentally ill, section 8'rs and other criminal elements. It's like if you don't have a lot of those types, then the community can't possibly be considered diverse.

It sounds like you might be referring to socioeconomic diversity, albeit in an extremely ignorant and offensive way.

By the way, there is mental illness and criminal activity in affluent neighborhoods, too. They can just afford to hide it better.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
I apologize for leaving my politically correct hat at home. Better to describe society's dredges with more care and sanitized descriptions. I will do better next time.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Chicago has very few truly diverse areas due to white flight. Statistically speaking, white people are comfortable with less than 10% non-white residents in terms of diversity. Anything more than that increases the likelihood of flight. You will NOT get an accurate picture of diversity on city-data, because "diversity" here means "non-white people who behave in ways typically associated with white people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago