Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You forgot conservative and boring.
Have you ever been to Az?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Arizona is a great place for like minded upper-middle class white people who enjoy the heat.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I have, it's like hell on earth.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,945 times
Arizona in summer is absolutely hell on earth. And for me the Scottsdale/Phoenix area has a small smattering of stuff that is kind of interesting, but overall there's a hell of a lot of people, traffic, and ultimately very little going on. Tucson is a bit better, and some of the rural areas can be interesting if you have some offroad vehicles and weapons. Otherwise they are just plain awful.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Yep. And there are also other costs you'd incur, like having to have two reliable cars, that also add to expenses.
Well that's true in the city too. Anyone considering Wilmette isn't going to be taking the bus around Chicago with the kiddies.

People upper middle class and higher in the city proper have reserved parking spaces and generally use cars for their daily needs. One possible exception is work commuting, if they work downtown.

As for Arizona, not my cup of tea, but obviously many people like it. Most people prefer sunshine and heat over grey skies and subzero temps.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Well that's true in the city too. Anyone considering Wilmette isn't going to be taking the bus around Chicago with the kiddies.

People upper middle class and higher in the city proper have reserved parking spaces and generally use cars for their daily needs. One possible exception is work commuting, if they work downtown.

As for Arizona, not my cup of tea, but obviously many people like it. Most people prefer sunshine and heat over grey skies and subzero temps.
Wait until the water supply slows to a trickle. What I really hate on principle is someone who moves to the desert and then wants to have (and water) a $@;(/?! lawn.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Yes. Have you?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
And for me the Scottsdale/Phoenix area has a small smattering of stuff that is kind of interesting, but overall there's a hell of a lot of people, traffic, and ultimately very little going on.
It's the worst kind of hellish, bland, sun-belt sprawl, right up there with Houston. Edward Abbey had it right when he called Phoenix "the blob that swallowed Arizona."

Flagstaff is nice to visit, but I think I'd get bored living there when I wasn't doing outdoor rec stuff.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post

That's not true at all. My wife and I are solidly upper middle class with one car, but there is no way in the world we could get by with just one car in Wilmette. We would definitely need one for each of us. That easily means another $400-600 each month. We also don't have any reserved spaces, we have a 2 car garage behind our SFH in Logan Square. And yes we do take our kid on the bus at least 2 or 3 times a week (and much more when it isn't as cold as it is now). We have friends that are easily making over $400-500,000/year who are doing the same thing. They just bought similar properties in Wicker Park or Bucktown instead of Logan.

We considered all of the old streetcar suburbs, including Wilmette, but the cost was pretty high for what we'd get. It also meant each of us would lose an hour every day in additional commuting time, which also means additional childcare costs. It also meant living a much more isolated lifestyle than we'd like to live.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Pretty funny that a two car garage behind a SFH is not considered by some to be "reserved space" -- in my mind the two are functionally equivalent. Also amusing to see the assumption that towns with excellent Metra service would not actually reduce one's commute time and abundant day care would necessarily be higher, not found that to be the case at all. And of course equally groundless assumption that things are somehow more "isolated"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago