Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

was anyone at the opening of Eataly yesterday? I'd be interested in your impressions. We'd really like to go this weekend. We were also thinking at eating at one of the restaurants there instead of someplace else downtown…..any suggestions on that from anyone in the know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
The wait at the pasta and pizza restaurant was 90 minutes last night, and their text-message notification system wasn't working very well. I ate there and had pappardelle with a mushroom ragu, which is one of my favorite dishes, something I make at home fairly often. Personally, I've had much better elsewhere. For example, when Ceres' Table has pappardelle on the menu it's simply divine. Even what I make at home is much better. What they had at Eataly was kind of gummy and the pasta was described by the server as "silky," which good pappardelle is, but in reality it was thick and clumpy. I wouldn't order it again, and kind of regretted ordering it to begin with. My dining companion had some paccheri with seafood. The seafood was good, but the pasta seemed unrefined. We didn't try the pizza, but the pizzas on the tables near us looked very good. For a bottle of water, a ginger ale, a glass of wine that was good and two entrees that were, in my opinion, disappointing, I think $72 (including tax and tip) seems a little steep.

I found the layout a bit confusing, personally. For example, it was difficult to see menus at the various restaurants, and it wasn't always clear whether seating at the various bars was seat-yourself or organized through the nearest host station. There is a lot of great food, though, and the staff was helpful and friendly. I would also have liked to see more baskets for carrying around items for purchase.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The wait at the pasta and pizza restaurant was 90 minutes last night
On a Monday? I'll probably wait a few months before hitting up Eataly.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
The wait at the pasta and pizza restaurant was 90 minutes last night, and their text-message notification system wasn't working very well. I ate there and had pappardelle with a mushroom ragu, which is one of my favorite dishes, something I make at home fairly often. Personally, I've had much better elsewhere. For example, when Ceres' Table has pappardelle on the menu it's simply divine. Even what I make at home is much better. What they had at Eataly was kind of gummy and the pasta was described by the server as "silky," which good pappardelle is, but in reality it was thick and clumpy. I wouldn't order it again, and kind of regretted ordering it to begin with. My dining companion had some paccheri with seafood. The seafood was good, but the pasta seemed unrefined. We didn't try the pizza, but the pizzas on the tables near us looked very good. For a bottle of water, a ginger ale, a glass of wine that was good and two entrees that were, in my opinion, disappointing, I think $72 (including tax and tip) seems a little steep.

I found the layout a bit confusing, personally. For example, it was difficult to see menus at the various restaurants, and it wasn't always clear whether seating at the various bars was seat-yourself or organized through the nearest host station. There is a lot of great food, though, and the staff was helpful and friendly. I would also have liked to see more baskets for carrying around items for purchase.
thanks so much for your detailed eye witness account; very helpful indeed.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Great summary...

Quote:

There is something about the whole "concept" that seems too much Disney / Food Channel and too little old school ...

Believe it or not I ate at Po several times in the 90s and actually met Anne Burrell when she was running the Italian Wine Merchant's kitchen for Mario Batali. It was a forerunner of the Eatly concept and seemed much less tourist driven, but then I guess that was kind of long time ago when Mario was more chef / resturant guy and less TV star...

Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is something about the whole "concept" that seems too much Disney / Food Channel and too little old school ...

Believe it or not I ate at Po several times in the 90s and actually met Anne Burrell when she was running the Italian Wine Merchant's kitchen for Mario Batali. It was a forerunner of the Eatly concept and seemed much less tourist driven, but then I guess that was kind of long time ago when Mario was more chef / resturant guy and less TV star...
Batali is the real thing, but I too think that this Disneyland approach might just strike out here. Chicago could be a little too hip for this thing to fly. I wouldn't be be surprised if it turns out to be a tourist-a-palooza type destination.

Batali could always move it to someplace like Indy and call it "the Mall of Italy" or something, if it flops here.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Batali is the real thing, but I too think that this Disneyland approach might just strike out here. Chicago could be a little too hip for this thing to fly. I wouldn't be be surprised if it turns out to be a tourist-a-palooza type destination.

Batali could always move it to someplace like Indy and call it "the Mall of Italy" or something, if it flops here.
Maybe he can relocate it to Rosemont, they have all that space near that creepy warehouse of a mall...

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
It is pretty Disneyland-ish but I want to check it out anyway. I'm going to give it a month or two before I try and step foot in it. I think it will do fine though and just like in NYC, it will probably become somewhat of a tourist attraction considering it's only the second one in the US.

My impression of it is that it's a nice market, but kind of like the Whole Foods of Italian. There is still a small Italian market near it in L'Appetito with some imported stuff (there's one on Wabash that doesn't get nearly as much traffic as the one at John Hancock).

Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Maybe he can relocate it to Rosemont, they have all that space near that creepy warehouse of a mall...
Rosemont is one strange land mass, where 4000 people live in a section kind of roped off from public intrusion. The town is home to hotels, hi-rises, convention centers, stadiums and pricy restaurants amongst other developments. Those must be the rewards for having a long standing, imperial mayor who essentially ran all Leyden township like old boss Daley did Chicago.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
I wonder if Chicago has ever tried to, or will try to, annex Rosemont..probably wouldn't work but it would be interesting to know if they've ever tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago