Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 04:05 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,786,882 times

Advertisements

Greetings Chicagoans!

I am planning a 4-5 day trip for four non-drinking grownups in Chicago for late October/early November. My first question is what is the weather like around Halloween in Chicago? Does it already get very cold over there by that time? Also if people can suggest some must see places to visit it be great. Note that as our group comprises of non-drinkers, we really aren't into bars or pubs.

Places I already plan to visit:
Art Institute
Magnificent Mile
Chinatown
Willis Tower
Architecture Tour (do they still run those boat trips up Chicago River that time of the year?)
Rides on the CTA (a must as I am a transit fanatic!)
Botanical Garden (weather permitting and if someone can tell how to get there by public transit)

Anything else worth visiting? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,973,651 times
The weather can be a mixed bag. Usually in the upper 50s during the day and low to mid 40s at night I think. The boat tours should be going on there, but it's a diminished schedule. I think I've seen it in the 70s at that time though, and I've seen it in the 40s during the day and low 30s at night before too.

The Botanical Garden is in the suburbs and you can get there via Commuter Rail (Metra) and then I think it's like a half mile walk from there. If not then there's something like it in Chicago called the Garfield Park Conservatory (Garfield Park Conservatory). The Green Line train goes right to it.

For museums, there is the Museum of Science and Industry near the U of Chicago which is the largest science museum in the western hemisphere. Near that is the Oriental Institute, which is an archaeological museum dealing with the ancient near east - sumeria, mesopotamia, egypt, persia, anatolia, etc. It is free actually and there are other museums near there that are free if you're curious.

I would also suggest going to the 96th floor lounge of the John Hancock Tower. You don't have to drink there - they have tea, coffee, etc as well as a few snacks. Obviously not dirt cheap but cheaper than paying to go up to an observatory in the same building or at the Sears Tower. If you do, then go to the right once you're off the elevators. It has the best view in the house. Not far away from there are also a bunch of nice old mansions in the Gold Coast, including the original Playboy Mansion. Go to the intersection of State & Division, and then walk north along State. That area has these things in it. Astor Street just to the east has a lot of great stuff too. The Archbishop's house is at the intersection of State & North too and huge. There are also mansions like this on the south side of the city in Hyde Park (same area as Museum of Science and Industry) and Kenwood. The border of Kenwood and Hyde Park is where Obama's mansion is.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM

467 posts, read 1,893,184 times
Open House Chicago 2014 is being held on October 18-19. There will be free access to 150 architecturally significant sites around the city. I've gone the last two years and would highly recommend it.

Open House Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: