Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I do, we don't have a DMV here.
I vote that anyone that calls the place where you renew drivers license and registration other than Sec of State has run the grotchkey back and forth tree times to the fronchrhum via da' gangway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 01:44 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Anyone else call it Secretary of State instead of DMV?
Of course.

Down here in St. Augustine we went to the local office of the St. Johns County tax collector and got our new driver's licenses, car registration and plates AND registered to vote within 45 minutes of entering the door. I didn't expect such...Yankee efficiency.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Anyone else call it Secretary of State instead of DMV?
I come from hay-shaking Indiana (as IrishTom has pointed out before in previous posts). In the time I have been here (Chicago), I wouldn't bestow such a title as "Secretary of State" on the dude/dudess that gives me a license or renews my plate.

Unless Jesse White is facilitating the import/export of herbs from Colorado and Washington (Canada and Mexico) into Illinois, or negotiating treaties for states into Illinois, I will continue to call it the DMV/BMV/Thompson Center. Not the Secretary of State office.

Secretary of States wheel and deal. Jesse White does not.

Calling the dude who lets people drive a car "Secretary of State" undermines what the REAL Secretary of State does.

If Jesse White decided marijuana wasn't a threat to Illinois and Pat Quinn took his word for it, then I could see calling Mr. White a "Secretary of State". Until then, he is an overly glorified meter maid that happens to have an office in a public building in which Chicago residents consider a part of "THE MACHINE", rightly or wrongly.

TL;DR: He (Jesse White) does his job well, but is in no way shape or form worthy of a title that exaggerates his political ability.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
In California, where I'm from, it's called the DMV. I will not assimilate!

Anyway, as much as I enjoy being a hater, I couldn't believe how simple getting my drivers license was here. I probably waited around for about an hour, then they tested my vision to make sure I wasn't blind as a bat, I circled a couple of letters on a sheet of paper, smiled for the camera, then went home with my license. My DMV experience felt like a trip to the spa, especially in comparison to the fresh hell I had to endure in LA.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
...Anyway, as much as I enjoy being a hater, I couldn't believe how simple getting my drivers license was here. I probably waited around for about an hour, then they tested my vision to make sure I wasn't blind as a bat, I circled a couple of letters on a sheet of paper, smiled for the camera, then went home with my license. My DMV experience felt like a trip to the spa, especially in comparison to the fresh hell I had to endure in LA.
Even Chet doesn't disagree!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
I had to renew my license at the SoS earlier this year. It took 10 minutes.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
They are amazingly efficient and usually polite. It is unlike any other government agency I have ever had contact with. I think Jesse White should be governor but he's too old and honest.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I come from hay-shaking Indiana (as IrishTom has pointed out before in previous posts). In the time I have been here (Chicago), I wouldn't bestow such a title as "Secretary of State" on the dude/dudess that gives me a license or renews my plate.

Unless Jesse White is facilitating the import/export of herbs from Colorado and Washington (Canada and Mexico) into Illinois, or negotiating treaties for states into Illinois, I will continue to call it the DMV/BMV/Thompson Center. Not the Secretary of State office.

Secretary of States wheel and deal. Jesse White does not.

Calling the dude who lets people drive a car "Secretary of State" undermines what the REAL Secretary of State does.

If Jesse White decided marijuana wasn't a threat to Illinois and Pat Quinn took his word for it, then I could see calling Mr. White a "Secretary of State". Until then, he is an overly glorified meter maid that happens to have an office in a public building in which Chicago residents consider a part of "THE MACHINE", rightly or wrongly.

TL;DR: He (Jesse White) does his job well, but is in no way shape or form worthy of a title that exaggerates his political ability.
Feel better now after your minor rant?
That office has always been be the Illinois Secretary of State (to me) which is different than the rest of the departments in the State of Illinois.
That department also has separate testing and hiring requirements and guidelines for anyone who applies for a position with the State of Illinois.
There are some offices around the State that are not as efficient as others but overall I have never had an issue with spending much time unless there were a lot of other people who arrived before I did.

Your drivers license is given to you before you leave the office, the license plate is a temporary plate if you are getting the plate for the first time. The permanent plate will arrive in the mail within a few weeks and after that you will get a sticker to attach to the permanent plate for renewal every year.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 AM

150 posts, read 295,329 times
Would anybody happen to know if I can get my IL driver's license renewed in Chicago with a Peoria address? I am currently overseas but will be flying through Chicago, it would be great if I could get it done there without taking a trip down to Peoria.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:01 AM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
SoS used to be the 'stop' on the way to Governor because they have offices ( and had the ability to serve as a base for political activity) throughout Illinois . SoS gets one instant name recognition throughout the state , and in a lot of wallets and purses . The recent scandals , and non-gubernatorial aspirations of Jesse White seemed to have cleaned it up a bit. They are very efficient for a state agency; I only need to budget 2 hours for a license renewal versus 1/2 a day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago