Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,992,425 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure pharma is all up north: Abbot, Baxter, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM

241 posts, read 465,967 times
The LS apartment cut us a deal, and at this point its pretty significantly cheaper than RV (about $400 less per month). It was already a better apartment, a bigger place, 2/2 instead of 2/1. So I think we will probably be going with that one.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM

409 posts, read 588,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
The LS apartment cut us a deal, and at this point its pretty significantly cheaper than RV (about $400 less per month). It was already a better apartment, a bigger place, 2/2 instead of 2/1. So I think we will probably be going with that one.
RV is a better area too, so should cost more. It's a little more upscale and established.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
RV is a better area too, so should cost more. It's a little more upscale and established.
What are you talking about? They're pretty similar in these regards. Most houses these days are not exactly cheap in Lincoln Square. Established too? Yeah both are. Let's not forget that the Mayor lives in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood and the former Governor did too (until he went to jail, of course).

They both have a number of establishments in them, but anybody who knows the current pulse of Chicago would know that Lincoln Square is an established area. The OP probably doesn't care about upscale things too much, regardless (and LS is far from having a ton of run down things).

Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 PM

Ok, still not an exact address, but just noticed there was a map shown for the listing.. if this helps at all pin down whereabouts this place is..

Thanks again for all the lively discussion so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone help me decide between two places/areas for a summer lease?-ls.png  

Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Ok, still not an exact address, but this was the map shown for the listing.. if this helps at all pin down whereabouts this place is..

Thanks again for all the lively discussion so far!
That area is a little quiet - the only thing you'd have to worry about is getting home if you're out in another neighborhood until say..3am or 4am. There's ways of course but not a direct shot. In the end though, it might be better for your commute if you need to go to the northern burbs.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That area is a little quiet - the only thing you'd have to worry about is getting home if you're out in another neighborhood until say..3am or 4am. There's ways of course but not a direct shot. In the end though, it might be better for your commute if you need to go to the northern burbs.
I don't really mind it being quiet, as long as I can relatively easily get out to other areas, be it the loop or river north, as well as lincoln park, lakeview, etc, via PT. Doubt I'd be out past 4 am lol. I like to party but thats even a little intense for a weekend!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I don't really mind it being quiet, as long as I can relatively easily get out to other areas, be it the loop or river north, as well as lincoln park, lakeview, etc, via PT. Doubt I'd be out past 4 am lol. I like to party but thats even a little intense for a weekend!
Well, getting there is easy - just walk to the Western Brown Line stop or take the bus on the same street to it. Coming back is just the trickier thing only if you're out past 2am because the last Brown Line run from River North (Merchandise Mart - more of the Western part) going north is 1:45am, about 1:55 for Lincoln Park (Fullerton Stop), and 2am for Lakeview (Belmont stop). I think it's about an hour earlier on Sundays.

This might not be a problem for you, but if you want to be out later then you have to be aware of that. The normal closing time for bars on Saturdays is actually 3am in Chicago, and of course there are a number of places that stay open until 4am (and 5am on Saturdays)...maybe 100 in the city, which is a rough estimate. The good news is that if you DO find yourself out until 5am downtown or on the north side, then Brown Line service does start back up in River North at like 4:45am.

There's a number of decent or good restaurants in the broader area too in general FYI and it's one of the safest parts of the city (but you should always be aware of your surroundings, just in case).

Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well, getting there is easy - just walk to the Western Brown Line stop or take the bus on the same street to it. Coming back is just the trickier thing only if you're out past 2am because the last Brown Line run from River North (Merchandise Mart - more of the Western part) going north is 1:45am, about 1:55 for Lincoln Park (Fullerton Stop), and 2am for Lakeview (Belmont stop). I think it's about an hour earlier on Sundays.
So basically it would be an issue of having a slightly more complicated way of getting home through PT, not exactly NOT being able to get home?

Quote:
This might not be a problem for you, but if you want to be out later then you have to be aware of that. The normal closing time for bars on Saturdays is actually 3am in Chicago, and of course there are a number of places that stay open until 4am (and 5am on Saturdays)...maybe 100 in the city, which is a rough estimate. The good news is that if you DO find yourself out until 5am downtown or on the north side, then Brown Line service does start back up in River North at like 4:45am.
Hahaha, good to know. I guess if I find myself out that late I'll just remember to wait until the trains start running again!

Quote:
There's a number of decent or good restaurants in the broader area too in general FYI and it's one of the safest parts of the city (but you should always be aware of your surroundings, just in case).
My thinking is (correct me if I'm wrong) there's probably a good amount of more low-key entertainment close by that I could do during the work week, when I don't have hours to go out drinking, and then on weekends I can "commute" to the more fun areas?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
So basically it would be an issue of having a slightly more complicated way of getting home through PT, not exactly NOT being able to get home?
Only late at night - there's ways around it, but it's slightly harder than living in some other areas, but definitely not impossible by any means. If you're going to be leaving a bar or whatever on average at a little after 1am, it's not going to matter at all.

Quote:
Hahaha, good to know. I guess if I find myself out that late I'll just remember to wait until the trains start running again!
You never know, really. There can be other ways home anyway - like you can take the Red Line to Lawrence and then I believe that bus runs all night too.

Quote:
My thinking is (correct me if I'm wrong) there's probably a good amount of more low-key entertainment close by that I could do during the work week, when I don't have hours to go out drinking, and then on weekends I can "commute" to the more fun areas?
Pretty much. There's a bunch of pretty decent restaurants and low key kind of bars on Lincoln Ave between say...Sunnyside Ave and Lawrence and north too. The around around the Western stop is kind of like a quaint small town center really. And of course there's stuff on Western Ave (including a pretty good late night (i.e. 3am) Korean BBQ place north of Foster on Western Ave), kind of all around but some main streets definitely have more than others up there (like around Foster and Damen you aren't going to find as much as some other areas, but maybe a few things).

You can also take the Western Ave bus up to Devon Avenue, which is like Little India/Pakistan, or you can easily drive there of course. Some of those places are open pretty late too.

In the end, if you're commuting to the northern burbs, you may have an easier time on the freeway when it's busy out than RV, and if it's the Loop, then it's 10 minutes more. You said though you'd be saving money so basically you can live in Chicago without sacrificing a TON for a summer and save more money (or have more money to enjoy yourself with).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago