Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM

36 posts, read 148,471 times

Advertisements

It's on Grand and Leavitt in the River West area. It's a 2/2. Cherry wood floors, ss kitchen appliances, granite counter tops, etc. It's 1450 sq. feet. Each bathroom is marble and has a tub. One of them also has a shower. There is garage heated parking included. A/c and Heat is through central air system. The building has an elevator so it's not a walk up. It has a dishwasher and a washer dryer in the unit.
It also has a fireplace and a jacuzzi. The price is 1700 a month including all that.

My husband works in the Lyric OPera House on 20 n. wacker...to get to work, he would have to take two buses.
this is what the CTA trip planner says he would have to do to get to work
Take CTA BUS # 65 GRAND EASTBOUND

Depart

at 05:44 PM:

GRAND & LEAVITT

Arrive

at 05:53 PM:

GRAND & HALSTED/MILWAUKEE

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/img/atis/transfer080207.gif (broken link)

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/img/atis/pace_bus.gif (broken link)

Take CTA BUS # 56 MILWAUKEE SOUTHBOUND

Depart

at 05:55 PM:

Arrive

at 06:02 PM:

WASHINGTON & WACKER

Does this sound terrible? Is this totally doable?

What do you think about the amenities, location, etc as compared to the rent rate?
What do you know about River West?

Thus far we have not been able to find all that for 1700 elsewhere, but I don't know if it's just a bad week or if this is a good deal.

thanks!

ayleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,694 times
I haven't taken that particular combo of CTA buses, but the bus can sometimes take 5 minutes to go a block during rush hour..I'd take those times with a quite large grain of salt

Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
The Grand bus doesn't run all that often, and the 56 is unreliable as well. I've taken both buses several times. I'm not sure that I would want to rely on that combo to get to work on time.

However, you could walk from Grand and Milwaukee to the Wacker and Washington intersection to Lyric Opera in about 15 minutes.

The apartment sounds very luxurious (a condo that couldn't sell?), but the commute would be complicated and the rent seems kind of high for the location.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,112,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles81 View Post
It's on Grand and Leavitt in the River West area. It's a 2/2. Cherry wood floors, ss kitchen appliances, granite counter tops, etc. It's 1450 sq. feet. Each bathroom is marble and has a tub. One of them also has a shower. There is garage heated parking included. A/c and Heat is through central air system. The building has an elevator so it's not a walk up. It has a dishwasher and a washer dryer in the unit.
It also has a fireplace and a jacuzzi. The price is 1700 a month including all that.

My husband works in the Lyric OPera House on 20 n. wacker...to get to work, he would have to take two buses.
this is what the CTA trip planner says he would have to do to get to work
Take CTA BUS # 65 GRAND EASTBOUND

Depart

at 05:44 PM:

GRAND & LEAVITT

Arrive

at 05:53 PM:

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/img/atis/transfer080207.gif (broken link)

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/img/atis/pace_bus.gif (broken link)

Take CTA BUS # 56 MILWAUKEE SOUTHBOUND

Depart

at 05:55 PM:

Arrive

at 06:02 PM:

WASHINGTON & WACKER

Does this sound terrible? Is this totally doable?

What do you think about the amenities, location, etc as compared to the rent rate?
What do you know about River West?

Thus far we have not been able to find all that for 1700 elsewhere, but I don't know if it's just a bad week or if this is a good deal.

thanks!

ayleen

Well, your husband has another option. He's only a few blocks from the Metra Western stop. That stop is serviced by a couple of Metra lines, so it should have pretty frequent service during rush hours. Best of all, those lines go into Ogilvie station, which is just on the other side of the river from the Opera House. I'd agree with the others, 1700 seems a bit high for the location, as there isn't much around that area. South of Grand is basically all manufacturing, and its not really until you get to Chicago that you'll find a street with any kind of real dining/shopping options. Western isn't a real pedestrian friendly street, and there's not much on Damen until you get closer to Wicker Park.

However, I should also say that I like the neighborhood in that area between Western/Damen and Chicago/Grand. It has a nice feel to it. So I guess I'd try and knock down theprice a couple hundred dollars a month, but if this provides more for you than anywhere else you looked, I wouldn't steer you away from it.

On edit, I should note that I have a friend who lives near Grand/Ashland, and property crime has been a concern. He's had his home broken into once, his car broken into, and a friends car when parked over there as well.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
j33

I always forget about that Western Metra stop. That is a pretty good idea ... and it will drop him off almost directly at Lyric. Given that information, if you really like the apartment, then I would consider it.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
I don't think $1700/mo sounds terribly unreasonable considering all the space and amenities that are included, even considering location. 1400 sq.ft is bigger than the first two houses my family of six lived in.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:12 PM
j33

Same here Drover, but we didn't pay that much a month for the house either

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Yeah but did your house have marble countertops, cherry wood floors, two full baths, stainless steel appliances, etc... was it a luxury-appointed home? Was it 10 minutes from the Loop? And what did you pay for it after adjusting for inflation?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:18 PM
j33

You've got a point there. I'm still getting over how much money people can get away with charging for rent.

.... in my 12+ years of living here in the city proper, I've never once paid over $700 for a one bedroom (and this is living on my own). But then again, I've never had granite counter tops either. I swear I'm not being self-righteous. But as a result of this, I sometimes get sticker shock when I hear what people are willing to pay.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:18 AM

36 posts, read 148,471 times
thank you all for replying! i really appreciate it! what has been most difficult in finding an apt has been the garage parking space. we are having a hell of a time finding that much space (we havea baby, which comes with a lot of "stuff") and a garage parking space for that price which is pretty much our ceiling.
can you all recommend another area to look into?
i wish i could find something comparable for less. what's most important to us is that it's a 2/2, has a w/d in the unit, and a garage space as far as "amenities" go
but what is equally important is being able to get to work relatively easy in the morning.

any suggestions? any listings anyone want to point me to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago