Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
She should get an account on city-data. Then should start all sorts of random posts about how Chicago and kids these days just aren't as good as when she was growing up. It'd keep her busy and entertained for the rest of her life.
Hey, I walked uphill to/from school BOTH ways---amazing geography we had way back then..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:44 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
She should get an account on city-data. Then should start all sorts of random posts about how Chicago and kids these days just aren't as good as when she was growing up. It'd keep her busy and entertained for the rest of her life.
hahahahaha...

Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
hahahahaha...
Could it be.... that lady ... IS THE OP?

j/k

anyhoo, i know people do stuff to keep from being bored.

I dont like to talk to strangers on the train or bus.

the only time a cell phone/smart phone is aggravating to me is -

when they make that annoying sound when playing a game and they should mute it -
when they are yapping too loud and annoying and talking annoyingly and/or loudly
when they are talking and texting and about to fall in a hole or get run over by a car coming at them

if the OP wants things to change maybe he/she ought to just do that for himself - you can't change everyone. especially if they are commuting and rather than being bored out of their head, they are watching a movie or something to make the time go by.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I dont like to talk to strangers on the train or bus.
Most people don't, and especially if you're only on it for 10-15 minutes, you aren't going to be having an extremely meaningful conversation usually anyway.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Most people don't, and especially if you're only on it for 10-15 minutes, you aren't going to be having an extremely meaningful conversation usually anyway.
I have found that people who like to talk are - senior citizens, and people with issues, and some tourists who are excited to be in chicago and like to be friendly.

the funniest/weirdest guy was this one guy who got on the bus, the bus driver was waving peopel by who had problems with their passes, well this one guy is yelling at the driver "I dont understand what you mean, waving, dont you know how to talk English" and he looked normal but just had a royal attitude that the bus driver was waving rather than telling him to go ahead to his seat. the passenger made a loud big deal at this bus driver, who was a nice driver. the driver says "well what do you think im speaking now?" sheesh at the passenger.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I have found that people who like to talk are - senior citizens, and people with issues, and some tourists who are excited to be in chicago and like to be friendly.
Yep, exactly. And usually other people who DO start up conversations with you are ones that will notice a book you're reading or a newspaper article. Mostly people just don't care to talk to one another, unless it's a guy trying to approach a woman.

Quote:
the funniest/weirdest guy was this one guy who got on the bus, the bus driver was waving peopel by who had problems with their passes, well this one guy is yelling at the driver "I dont understand what you mean, waving, dont you know how to talk English" and he looked normal but just had a royal attitude that the bus driver was waving rather than telling him to go ahead to his seat. the passenger made a loud big deal at this bus driver, who was a nice driver. the driver says "well what do you think im speaking now?" sheesh at the passenger.
LOL - it's always a fun time riding these

Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM

82 posts, read 110,680 times
Thank you guys for the replies... =/

Sounds like I'm being made fun of! =P
BTW... the old lady is my Grandmah you Jerk!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Just last night while waiting for the Blue Line at Clark and Lake, a pleasant middle aged lady of the pre-smart phone generation walked up and down the platform, identifying the narcissistic, young, female transit riders, and berated them as filthy ****s.

It really made me long for the good old days of direct conversation.

So I tweeted about it.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
The OP is only 22 years old. Don't you have to have experience and at least be in your 40's to ***** about the good old days? How long have you been out in the real world working? A few years? Surveillance cameras have been around certain communities since you were 10 years old.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:04 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I agree. I general, I don't like people and public transit is the last place I want to have a meaningful conversation.
Hell, I rarely even speak with my seatmate on an airplane and you're practically sitting on their lap.
For what it's worth, I was not at all saying I don't like people. I do like people. I only have "meaningful conversations" with people I know well or am wanting to get to know well, though.

I've had some pretty good conversations with strangers at Chicago bars. (Hint, look for the ones without TVs-- They do exist.) That's a more conducive environment for it than public transportation, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago